Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 12, 2012 10:16:35 AM PDT
VegiMa says:
I was a tester for this recipe book, so there may have been some changes to recipes and recipe names since I tried it, but I will give you my opinion of the recipes that I did try and my overall opinion so far. I didn't test ALL recipes that she was testing, just some of them. Some recipes I didn't like, others did, so it is all a matter of opinion.
My quick overall opinion is that I would not buy this recipe book unless I had some extra money laying around to spend and already had all of my other wanted cookbooks. If you haven't bought Viva Vegan or Veganomicon, books Terry has also authored/coauthored, I would definitely buy those first. This book is pretty spendy on its own for recipes that probably won't get used much. Add to that the cost of specialty ingredients, and it is one costly cooking venture. There are some good recipes in it, but there are other cookbooks out there that are much higher on my want list than this one would ever be.
My biggest complaint would be all of the special items needed for the recipes. I live 90 miles from any specialty/foreign food market, so obtaining the ingredients for recipes was a bit of a pain. I even had to order a couple of ingredients online. The majority of the recipes I tested needed items not found in my local grocery stores. Added to the inconvenience is the expense of buying a specialty item for just one or two recipes. Some recipes could do without certain ingredients, and she does mention in the recipes if something is optional or a substitution, but many recipes still needed certain things.
Quite a few of the recipes were very involved and required a lot of time and work. Some may have been good enough that they were worth the work, but it was a real bummer to do a lot of work and end up with something that was just ok, or bad. From the way the testing was set up, I do believe she will be including an estimate of times to make and cook the food.
In the testing, there was a wide variety of foods from different areas of the world, which I thought was really neat.
There were some recipes that were delicious, others not so much. I would probably give this a two or three star review from the recipes I tried.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2012 2:04:38 PM PDT
J. Mitchell says:
Could you give examples of these "specialty ingredients"? I live in an area with good grocery shopping, and what you think of as "hard to get" might be easy-to-find staple items for me.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  2
Total posts:  2
Initial post:  Sep 12, 2012
Latest post:  Oct 29, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Vegan Eats World: 300 International Recipes for Savoring the Planet
Vegan Eats World: 300 International Recipes for Savoring the Planet by Terry Hope Romero (Hardcover - October 30, 2012)
4.5 out of 5 stars (69)