Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 21, 2009 7:15:53 PM PST
We have a tendency to complicate Christianity. Jesus simplified it: Love God with all of your heart, soul, mind, and strength. If we are to live out the essence of Christianity, we must commit to being great at this Great Commandment.

In Primal, Mark Batterson explores the four elements of Great Commandment Christianity: compassion, wonder, curiosity, and power. Along the way, he calls you to be a part of God's reformation, starting in your own life.

As I read this powerful book, all four were stirred up for me. As Mark writes, "Is there a place in your past where you met God and God met you? A place where your heart broke for the things that break the heart of God? ... In that moment, God birthed something supernatural in your spirit. You knew you'd never be the same again. My prayer is that this book would take you back to that burning bush - and reignite a primal faith."

Indeed I was taken back to my burning bush, my catacombs where that primal faith was first ignited. Primal will help you live in light of what matters most and discover what it means to love God. It will help you become great at the Great Commandment. If nothing else, it will leave you with more questions as you move into a new year seeking answers. Perhaps, the answers are simply the basics.

This book was provided for review by the WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group.

Posted on Dec 21, 2009 9:47:53 PM PST
Chris Estes says:
Primal is an amazing picture of simple truths applied to real lives. Batterson captures these truths in life portraits from his experiences with family, friends, church planting, church leading, and world leaders. What I really love about Primal is the perspective. It's the new perspective on timeless truth. It's not an abstract truth pulled from several scriptures ladened with heavy theology. No, it's straight from our savior Jesus captured in the Gospels of His disciples Mark and Luke. These primal truths are the block and tackle, everyday stuff, basics, nuts and bolts, instructions that we breeze right over. Or we get some of right more than others.

There is a reason super bowl championship teams are champions. They apply the principles of winning football every week. They practice the rudiments. They live and breath the key principles. They apply them in game-time. And most importantly, they build dynamic plays off of the foundational rudiments. So it is with these primal commandments. They can be applied in the most rudiment way and build into the most amazing life application where God's glory and power is displayed.

The new reformation is coming! I'm not just saying that because I drank the primal kool-aid Batterson served up in this book. I have the honor and privilege to work for the number 1 independent Christian Music label in the world, Integrity Music. I can say from first-hand experience that the reformation has begun...and like Batterson claims in the last chapter, "Amo Dei" will be the rallying cry. English translation, "Love God."

The next reformation will be led by millions of reformers living compassionately, creatively, and courageously for the cause of Christ. It will be marked by broken hearts and sanctified imaginations. And the driving force will be the love of God. A love that is full of compassion, wonder, curiosity, and energy.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  2
Total posts:  2
Initial post:  Dec 21, 2009
Latest post:  Dec 21, 2009

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Primal: A Quest for the Lost Soul of Christianity
Primal: A Quest for the Lost Soul of Christianity by Mark Batterson (Hardcover - December 22, 2009)
4.5 out of 5 stars   (300)