Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Gear Aid ReviveX Nubuck, Suede & Fabric Water Repellent Spray, 4 Ounce
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

on January 22, 2010
Revivex water repellant for shoes is the best product I've ever used for waterproofing and I've used a few over the years. I bought my first bottle in a outfitters store. I used it on a pair a hiking boots that my son was going to wear on an away school trip that included hiking. Rainy weather was called for all weekend. I applied Revivex to the boots saturating them and then letting them dry. My son told me that the boots never even became wet! His feet stayed dry and warm the whole time! Yeaa Revivex! I won't buy any other product for our waterproofing needs again. I've also used it on my daughters well worn Ugg boots. She brought them camping and you know how shoes can become soggy from the morning dew around the campsite. After treating her Uggs they never became wet and her feet stayed dry. No more having to dry out the boots by the fire every night! It works wonderfully on the fabric as well as the suede parts of the boots and does not change the appearance at all or make it feel weird. I don't know how they do it but this stuff just works fantastic! I'm a Revivex fan for life!
on October 26, 2011
This didn't discolor tan or black suede, but it did make 2 pairs of gray suede darker. I have a lovely new pair of gray suede heels, and I feel like the spray made the suede look "cheaper" and darker, but I wouldn't say it ruined them. I'll still wear them, but I feel like they looked better before using the spray. I did test it on the back of a heel first, and it didn't seem to make much of a difference in color, so I sprayed the whole shoe to find it did make a difference... so I'm not sure "testing" really proves much.

I sprayed a pair of gray suede Sperrys (slightly different quality of suede), and while they looked a bit darker, I actually preferred them that way. The suede didn't feel different afterward like they did for my gray heels. I'm not sure what "kind" of suede has this effect (are there different "kinds" of suede?).

I sprayed 5 pairs of shoes yesterday and I wore the gray Sperrys today. It happened to rain, and the spray seemed to do its job.

After spraying 3 pairs of flats, 1 pair of heels and 1 pair of boots, I felt like this bottle is nearly empty -- *maybe* enough spray for one more pair. I suppose that's reasonable, as it may be unreasonable for me to have 6 (actually 7... maybe 8) pairs of suede shoes... woops! ;)

Overall, I'd say it's good for black and tan shoes (not sure about dark brown yet), but be careful with gray shoes. Always test a spot, although my test spot wasn't an accurate portrayal of what happened after I sprayed the whole shoe. I would buy it again if I can't find anything with better ratings for a reasonable price.
on September 30, 2010
There was enough in this bottle to saturate a pair of knee high suede boots and 2 pairs of suede loafers. It works great if you follow the directions and saturate the suede, don't just spritz it on. It dries quickly, doesn't discolor the suede and really waterproofs. I'll say again for those who complained of poor performance, follow the directions.
on November 29, 2011
Used this spray to waterproof 2 pairs of sued boots. There was enough to do 2 pairs of women's size tens. The waterproofer worked. I used the boots in 10 inches of snow and also stepped out of the car into a puddle and my feet stayed dry.
on March 19, 2013
I used this on my Nike tennis shoes as well as my winter boots. One bottle was more than enough to do both pairs, and after 4 months of MN winter, both pairs still repel water like the day I applied it. Buy this product, you'll be happy with it.
on November 18, 2010
I think this product is great. I used it on 3 different suede shoes - tennis shoes, heels, and ankle boots. All three look and feel the same as before. And I wore the tennis shoes yesterday during rain and they still look perfect today. I am thoroughly happy with one slight hitch. The bottle doesn't last very long I did 2 applications (that is recommended for max results) on those 3 shoes and I only have a tiny bit of product left - definitely not enough for another shoe. So I recommend buying more bottles accordingly. But I am about to buy another one now - so obviously I think it is worth it.
on March 10, 2016
Very effective and so much easier to apply than spray-can silicone type protectors. I've used about 5 bottles of ReviveX and just ordered two more. I used to always treat new or freshly cleaned shoes & boots with Scotchguard or similar aerosol can spray, but I switched to ReviveX last summer- more or less by accident. I bought the first bottle at a local sporting goods store just to get the sales guy off my back! Yes, I feel bad even saying that, but everyone who's been cornered by an over-zealous sales clerk knows exactly what I mean. I didn't see how a water-based sealer could work as well as silicone spray, but I thought I'd try it out on something old just to see how it did. The first thing that sold me was how much easier it is to apply. With Scotchguard, I used to wait for a clear (preferably warm with no wind) day and drag out some big cardboard sheets on the patio so I could go through the aerosol spray ordeal. Because of the paint-like fumes, you must have a place outdoors to let them dry overnight and hope for another clear day to do a second coat (sometimes a third as well). With ReviveX, I can do it in my garage- regardless of the weather and without all the overspray protection sheets and such. First, I remove the laces and insole. You need to put something inside the shoe and fill it completely to keep from getting a bunch of the liquid inside the shoe. Newspaper is an easy option. I like the air tubes used for packing material with a rag stretched over the top. I use a square plastic tub that I put in the sink in my garage. Shake the bottle thoroughly and continue to shake it as you use it so it stays compltely mixed. Hold the sprayer 3-4" away from the surface and just work your way around. I spray each shoe thoroughly and then prop them up "nose down" in the tub to let any excess run off for about five minutes. If the leather has soaked up so much that it already looks dry, I spray another coat right away and let them sit another 5-10 minutes. I use a damp cloth to dab off any visible pools or drops (check crevices that hold liquid) and set them on a clean towel to dry. After 3-5 hours, I give them another coat and then let them dry in the house for 24-48 hours in a well-ventilated area. You can tell when they are really dry and ready to replace the insole and laces. When I finish each round of spraying, I use a little funnel to reclaim the extra back into the bottle. Sometimes new shoes will release a little dye that darkens the extra liquid. I keep a separate bottle for discolored runoff and only use it on black or really dark color items. Sometimes I also treat the laces using a small paper cup and a plastic knife to stir them until completely covered. I fold them in a wet rag to remove any excess and then hang them up to dry. These are not exactly the specified directions, but it's the system I've worked out after a lot of practice. Once you get started, you'll begin to see that some leather and fabrics absorb more of the liquid than others and you just have to judge the point when you've got it completely saturated. Saturation is the key to a water based sealer. The aerasol sprays work by leaving a surface coating to repel water. Water based ones, like ReviveX, work by absorbing into the leather or fabric. So don't be sparing with it. It's better to have one or two items really protected than four with too little to provide any meaningful protection. I think that's the mistake that some people make which leaves them concluding that it doesn't work. I have yet to notice any discoloration of an item once it has completely dried, but if it's a critical issue for you, always test a little spot with a cotton swab to be sure.
I can't say positively that it will last as long as Scotchguard, but I'm fairly confident. Even if it doesn't, the ease of application so far outweighs that factor that I don't mind if somthing needs a refreh coat. Also, there may be some folks who are more sensetive and shouldn't use it anywhere but outside, but I've yet to have anyone even notice any smell from freshly treated items drying in the house. The fact that it's water based removes many of the solvents that generate the fumes of aerosal can types.
What could be better about it? The awful, cheap, unreliable, hard to use, easy to break pump head! I had one that was completely disfuntional from the first squeese. If I hadn't had the working pump from a previous bottle, I'd have really been frustrated. That's a silly and inexcusable reason for loosing customers. If a $2 bottle of window cleaner can have a consistantly reliable pump head, surely this can. Another thing: why can I only buy 4oz at a time? For someone who's sold on it's merits, let me invest in a 12, 16 or 20oz bottle and cut me a little slack in the price for doing it. That's not advanced business economics either. Both issues are obvious and easily addressed.
Bottom line: Use it correctly and it works well with a lot less hassle than aerosal spray protector products. I hope this makes it easier for someone wanting to give it a try. Good Luck!
on April 12, 2016
Doesn't do any water proofing at all. I followed the instructions, washed the shoe, let it dry completely, then put on 2 coats of it. Put the shoe in water, no beading. Dried it off, put another 5 layers of this (2nd bottle), tested the shoe in water again, no beading. I bought 4 bottles of these, and tried it on leather shoe, nubuck, suede, and there's no water beading off, water soaked into the shoe and that's more obvious on the nubuck and suede. I've tried several companies, and I find that the only one that worked was angelus direct's water & stain repellent. It's pretty cheap, not sold on Amazon, but one coat of that on any shoe and water beads right off. It also dries clear. I give 1 star because I see this product as a function only product, and if it doesn't deliver, I simply can't give it anything.
on February 28, 2013
I was looking for my new uggs. I was afraid since these are my first pair. I read some reviewds to see if anyone had sprayed their uggs. The bottle is small and it made me wonder if it would be enough to spray my Etta espresso uggs. I sprayed a small spot and the next day I could not see where I had sprayed. So I sprayed the pair. I ended up having to rub the solution in. It made me wonder if ugg had already treated it for water proofing. I allowed it to dry over night as directed and they looked great. I tested them out by running water over them and the water just rolled off . I sprayed them again as directed. They dried quickly and look great. No discoloration.
on November 30, 2010
works great and goes on much easier than the aerosol or the pump from Ugg. We recommend it to friends.