Industrial-Sized Deals Shop all Back to School Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Beach House $5 Off Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Shop Popular Services pivdl pivdl pivdl  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Baby Sale

on March 4, 2012
I have light (to occasionally moderate) acne, and red/uneven skin tones. I need a good amount of coverage. I have tried dozens of drugstore foundations. Revlon Colorstay is not perfect, but it's the best I've tried. I've strayed to other brands, mostly due to curiosity (they promise so much!), but am consistently let down. Then, kicking myself, I always come back to this one.

Revlon ColorStay is the only foundation that:

1) Matches my skin tone and does not cake: Other foundations are too pink, too dark or too light. The application and shade (buff) of this makeup is one of the only ones I've found that blends well with my skin.
2) Lasts throughout the day: It's true to its name. I never have to worry about re-application.
3) Doesn't cause my skin to breakout in horrible acne: I've tried other brands that provided excellent coverage, and also made my skin so bad, I needed more and more of their excellent coverage (I'm sure its their evil plan to get customers stuck in the endless cycle.) However, this foundation has never caused me a major breakout or skin irritation.

******Some Tips:******
**I always use disposable makeup wedges/sponges to apply the foundation. (You can get a good size bag for a few dollars at any drugstore/superstore). As many people have commented, this makeup is ridiculously messy. Don't even try to do it with your fingers; not only will you have a mess on your hands (literally), the results are remarkably better when you use a sponge applicator.

**Use a gentle or stick concealer a few shades lighter than your Colorstay shade; Apply a small amount to any major skin blemishes, blot in (don't over-rub though) before applying the foundation. You'll use much less of the Colorstay and it will look more natural.

**This dries rapidly. Blend it into skin quickly or it's going to blend horribly. (Trust me, no amount of rubbing can undo it.)
**********************

Like I mentioned, I'm fickle with foundations. This one is not by any means perfect, but it's the closest to perfect for my skin needs that I have found.(In my drugstore limited price range of course.) And with the right techniques, Revlon Colorstay Makeup is my tried-and-true favorite. (For now at least!)
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 21, 2015
So I"m a YouTube junkie and everyone was either talking about this or MAC, so I bought both. My MAC Studio Fix Fluid is NW45, which is the closest they have to my skin tone, but it oxidizes into this orangey color that I just can't deal with. Which is a shame because the coverage is amazing. So then I tried the Revlon ColorStay in 400 Caramel for oily skin. OMG halleluuuuuu! Perfect match to my skin, and so lightweight I forget I'm wearing it. Unlike MAC, the Revlon is more of a medium coverage. But since I bought that expensive MAC imma find a way to use it. I have about 4 small dark spots near my jawline (old acne scars) so I put a tiny drop of MAC on the dark spots (like a concealer) and Revlon everywhere else. FLAWLESS! I don't need full coverage everywhere, and if I didn't have those four spots I'd probably throw the MAC away. I've been wearing the Revlon everyday since I bought it. It's gentle enough for my sensitive skin and unlike MAC it doesn't give me acne. Even in the summer, it stays put- doesn't feel like I've sweated it off. I am almost done with my bottle (first time ever finishing a bottle of foundation) and I will definitely be repurchasing this. The only con is that it has no pump. I bought a small bottle with a pump and put it in there. A hassle, but I'm still giving this five stars anyway because I love it so much! I have oily skin (so I always use a mattifying primer first and apply powder after foundation) but this ColorStay stays put! I never have to touch it up, just maybe blot my excess oil once a day. Love this- thanks Revlon! The only thing they need to change is to add a pump. Otherwise, it's perfect!
review image
on April 14, 2012
Let me start by saying that I can't remember ever purchasing any foundation more than once. Everything I've ever tried has just been "okay" at best. I'm at the end of my first bottle of this and I am a convert!

I have oily, acne prone skin and my pores around my nose and chin are fairly large. I wouldn't recommend this for true "combination" skin, as any flakiness will NOT look good with full coverage foundation. But that goes for anything with this amount of coverage. So I'd recommend it more for normal/oily. This has never made me break out and I actually think it has even improved my skin! After about a week a co-worker told me that I "have great skin" and I had to ask her to repeat herself because no one has ever said that to me before! The key to remember is washing your face thoroughly and following up with a toner (sans alcohol of course) to remove all traces of it. I wasn't super thorough at first and was missing a bit around my jaw and hairline - and I know the jawline is a problem area for many people.

I apply it with a damp makeup wedge/sponge one area at a time - forehead, each cheek, chin, nose - to prevent it from looking too heavy. Then I use a concealer brush to apply it as a concealer. This makes it versatile in terms of coverage AND you never have to worry about your foundation and concealer being the same shade! And as far as its staying power I think it does what it says. While other foundations will rinse right out/off with just water from makeup sponges, hands, etc...this one takes soap as well I've noticed (another testament to the importance of thoroughly washing your face)!

The ONLY thing that would make this better is if it came in a pump. Ya hear me, Revlon?!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 16, 2013
Yes, there is the weird glue smell; yes, it can look cakey if you don't apply it correctly... BUT, when done right, this is the most wonderful drugstore foundation. I have very oily, very acne-prone and acne-ridden skin. This foundation is absolutely fantastic for my face. It does not break me out, it stays put all day long but doesn't sink into the lines of my face. I am very pale, but the lightest color Ivory is not the best match for me. It's too pink, and turns my face orange. Buff, on the other hand, blends in with my skin tone perfectly and provides wonderful coverage. All my pitted acne scars on my cheeks are smoothed over, my complexion is brightened and I only need a tiny bit of setting powder to have a smooth, clear face. I LOVE this product and the best way to apply it is with a BeautyBlender (which is a fabulous little sponge). The foundation is buildabe but never looks like you're wearing too much.

Oh yes, one more thing - I've used a MILLION different eye shadow primers. I own everything from Urban Decay to ELF, BE, Mac, etc. etc. etc. Nothing sets my eyes better for eye shadow that this foundation. Not even anything remotely close to a crease all day long, and I have some seriously oily lids. Love it.
on February 16, 2011
I love love love this foundation its definetely the best foundation out there(drugstore wise). I would buy it over and over again because its amazing especially if you have acne and need a foundation with a full coverage. If you are going to purchase it online I would buy it on amazon because it is the cheapest and the shipping is great.Again this product is amazing, I have oily skin and I buy the one for oily skin and it works great and my mom has very dry skin and she also uses this product and she loves it too. Best foundation ever and can definetely be compared to the makeup forever HD foundation and for half the price and maybe even more product, it is great. I usually use a stippling brush to apply it but even your fingers would apply this foundation amazingly because its so blendable and smooth. If you watch youtube videos on makeup products this foundation is the product they most rave about because its coverage and its long lasting. I've gone wearing it since 6 a.m all the way to 10 pm and it does not ware off. I love this foundation and recoment it.
on November 28, 2012
This is a decent drug store option, but it is not my favorite foundation. The high end foundation that it most reminds me of is Make Up Forever HD, which I rarely use because it has the same drawbacks for me as ColorStay.

Coverage and application: Medium to Full. Medium coverage works well, but building to full coverage can look cakey if you aren't careful with the application. It dries quickly as well so you have to blend quickly to avoid patches. To be fair, I have only tried the combination/oily skin type and perhaps the normal/dry skin type would work better. But the reason why I give this foundation 3 stars is because it is a little difficult and time consuming to apply. I'm fine spending time on my makeup for evenings and special occasions, but for day-to-day I want something medium coverage that can be applied in a few minutes while I may still be half asleep in the morning. For me color stay is not that foundation because several times I've gone to work only to discover under the fluorescent lights that I have patches and unevenness. ELDW dries quickly, yet it is still easy to blend.

SPF 6: I prefer my foundation without SPF so I don't have to worry about a white cast in photos. I think this still photographs well in good light, but low light it can still create a slight white cast.

Color Selection: There are a lot of shades for a drugstore foundation, but I do not love the shades. I suspect that most of the colors are more pink/orange as I've had more luck with the other brands that include more yellow shades. I've tried 300 - golden beige, 310 - warm golden, 320 - true beige, and 330 - natural tan. Golden Beige was a good tone, but too light. 310 is my closest match, but it's still off, possibly still too light. It applies a good shade, but seems to get lighter as I blend it. 330 appears to be a good match at first, but it wears/blends darker and becomes too dark for me. Based on this, I thought 320 would be perfect. However it was way, way too peach/orange. So 310 is my best match, and I'm still not thrilled with it.

For Color Reference, I wear MAC NC30, ELDW Tawny, and Maybelline Super Stay in Classic Beige

Pros:
- Good coverage
- Price
- Keeps matte finish
- Decent color selection for drugstore, although they tend to blend deeper or lighter and oxidize.

Cons:
- Many colors blend/wear lighter or darker and oxidize (see above)
- Dries quickly, hard to blend
- Sits on my skin rather than melting into it, which makes it look fake.
- Tends to wear off on my forehead and around my mouth much quicker than I'd like.

Despite the drawbacks, this is still a good foundation and one I could use. However I'm very happy with my Maybelline Super Stay. I may try the dry/normal skin formulation of this foundation to see if it resolves the patchiness and difficulty blending for me. I think I'll still prefer the Super Stay because the colors are truer and fit my skin better, but I will update if I have a change of heart.
on April 28, 2012
I have tried so many foundations and this is the best one, even compared to high end expensive foundations. I have rosacea but also have extremely dry skin on my forehead. I find that using this foundation along with a beauty blender gives me excellent full coverage that lasts all day until I take it off at night. I also have sensitive skin that easily breaks out and have not had any breakouts with this foundation. I also use the colorstay powder to set it and the combo works really well. It doesn't look cakey if applied with a sponge or beauty blender. I love this foundation! There are so many colors you should be able to find yours!
on August 9, 2012
Pros:
- Lasts all day
- Controls oil pretty well, even without oil controlling moisturizer or primer
- Great coverage- I can even skip concealer, and I have very red acne on very pale skin
- Cheap!!
- Dries fast
- Doesn't come off on clothes
- Feels nice and light, not heavy
- Blends well, as long as you do it fast

Cons:
- Dries almost TOO fast.. you need to apply in small sections with a light hand and blend really quickly
- Can be hard to remove

If you have oily skin or acne, definitely give this a try!!!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 11, 2013
I've always heard of Revlon before but never really tried it. It's rather expensive in my country, it's marketed as a "department store/high-end" product despite it truly being a drugstore foundation in most western countries. I saw one of my co-workers use it before and I decided to try it. I was sold. I live in a tropical country where it's always hot, humid and I have a tendency to sweat immensely due to genetics and being exposed to constant scorching weather. Oh, I forgot to mention, I have oily skin. Foundations, regardless of their formulation, don't tend well to oily, let alone sweaty skin. No matter how good my foundation or primer was, I would sweat everything off and my naturally sebaceous skin will assist in removing any base I've applied in less than ten minutes. Revlon Colorstay Makeup is one of the best foundations out there, hands down. It was over 38C (100F) outside, as usual after applying my makeup, I began to sweat tremendously. I kept dabbing the sweat off, worried that my foundation would adhere onto my handkerchief but it never did. My hair was a mess and I looked like I just went through purgatory and back but my makeup still looked flawless. I get lots of compliments when I use this foundation. Also, a little goes a long way. You can choose between light, medium and heavy/full coverage depending on your method of application. I've used many foundations but this one just blew me away. The results are flawless. I highly recommend it to anyone who has oily skin, tend to sweat a lot or live in humid climates but want to use a foundation that lasts for a long time and still looks flawless.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 5, 2012
My skin is combination/oily and the very first time I use this product, the older version felt so hard it actually caked into my skin.
NOW I'm not sure what they did but this new version has definably improved...it does not feel like you are wearing a mask, it's actually flex feeling to it.
I only use this during cold weather since I'm in Texas and having oily skin I really don't need to wear much of it BUT on cold weather IT DOES keep my skin a bit moist AND it does not make my skin break into pimples nor oily.
I have tried to find this color but most of the times I find it for dry skin and here I am buying it from amazon at cheaper price.
The amazing part is that the color that I choose natural tan is exactly my skin tone.
I recommend this to those ladies who do not want to bother adding powder into their face and want more of a natural look.