5.0 out of 5 stars This item is a godsend!
Published on May 28, 2007 by East Coast Avid Reader

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of money - overheats - even smokes!
Avoid this product - it cannot be used for more than 3 minutes without overheating. I used mine twice - for about 3.5 minutes each time. This includes shutting the unit off and on to reposition it. The third day I used it, it started to smoke! It is a piece of junk made with poor quality parts.
Published on November 4, 2007 by slaphappy

5.0 out of 5 stars This item is a godsend!, May 28, 2007
This review is from: Revlon Shine Enchancing Hot Air Kit (Health and Beauty)
I am shocked at the negative reviews this products has received. I, too, purchased this item at Target, but I could not be happier with the results. I have very thick, curly hair and it usually takes me at least a half hour to get it dry with a normal hairdryer. Usually by the time I did the front and sides the back had dryed in an unflattering shape. No more...with this little gem, I simply wind the hair around the brush and roll it up to my scalp, hold it for a few seconds then roll it out. It works more like a curling iron than a brush, and I wonder if some of the folks who have rated it badly were using it incorrectly. With this tool, it takes less than 10 minutes to fully dry my hair (which goes well past my shoulders), and turns out perfectly every time. My hair used to be flat and lifeless, and now feels soft and moisturized...it reminds of a few years ago when those caruso steam curlers were in fashion (remember those?) and they made your hair super soft. It's the same feeling with this brush, but much easier to manage, and quicker.

A tip for those who complained about overheating...after I was done with the initial styling, I turned the brush off, waited about a minute, then turned it on to the "cool setting" and lightly brushed my hair with it. That seemed to give me the blast of cool air I was looking for.

I can't stress enough that this product is a miracle in a box, five stars are not enough. If you are at all on the fence about buying it, get it immediately! I have been recommending it to every woman I know. I just wish I had discovered it sooner.

5.0 out of 5 stars the best, August 2, 2005
This review is from: Revlon Shine Enchancing Hot Air Kit (Health and Beauty)
I have tried round brushes, blow dryers, comb dryers... you name it, I've tried it, and have not been happy. Maybe because I am no cosmetologist. :=) However, I am exceptionally pleased with this product as it gives me the closest fininsh to having my hair done by my hairdresser. I love it. Gives the convenience & manageability of a round brush & dryer in one. Thanks Revlon

5.0 out of 5 stars Yay Revlon, February 18, 2005
This review is from: Revlon Shine Enchancing Hot Air Kit (Health and Beauty)
I love this thing. I only buy Revlon products because I've come to realize that they're stronger than other brantds. I bought it for like $15 at Kmart. I had one before but this one is new and improved and seems more powerful than the other. Its cool because it dries your hair, straightens, and gives it flip or curl. My hair is hard to handle because I dye it and it looks really dry when I style it. With this thing, I use it and it takes me only like 20 minutes to dry, and style my hair. The first day I used it people were like "You're hair is so nice today! What'd you do!?" Use this product with a syrum and hair spray. Thats what I find works best :)

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of money - overheats - even smokes!, November 4, 2007

5.0 out of 5 stars Best hot air brush I have owned!!, December 30, 2006
Effie (New England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Revlon Shine Enchancing Hot Air Kit (Health and Beauty)
I really love this hot air brush! I had the Thermalaire previously and it was low powered and I could only use it to style my hair after I had dried it with a regular hair dryer. After it died, I decided to try this one because it is 1200W -- wow, what a difference! It has an attachment that allows you to use it as a regular hair dryer, or you can dry your hair using the brush attachments. I have short layered hair and I usually dry it using the larger brush attachment. It gives my hair SO MUCH body, its just wonderful, and it dries my hair faster than any other hair dryer I've ever had. The first day I used it, when I went to work people kept complimenting on my new haircut!! I had to keep telling them it wasn't a new haircut but a new hair dryer! And I haven't had a bad hair day since buying it! The only problem I've had is that it does tend to get a little hot to handle on the high setting, but it's worth it to me because it dries my hair so fast, while styling it at the same time. And I can always turn it down to the low setting if I need to. It also has a cool setting to set your curls. This is a GREAT item and I just wanted to contradict some of the negative reviews it has gotten. This is a great dryer for people who are short on time and need a great style FAST!

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't do it, September 1, 2004
This review is from: Revlon Shine Enchancing Hot Air Kit (Health and Beauty)
I bought this item at Target (same price) because I wanted to straighten and style my hair in the same step. Looked like a good buy, but wasn't. I returned it after getting super frustrated with the product quality. It doesn't have a cool-shot button, so it overheats every few seconds and quits....wait for it to cool and it turns on again, speed up the process by taking off the attachment and blowing into it....huge hastle. I never did get my hair all the way dry with this product. The product I swapped it for was a Conair double ionic port dryer, with a cool shot button, we'll see how it goes.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not for my fine, straight hair, January 1, 2007
This review is from: Revlon Shine Enchancing Hot Air Kit (Health and Beauty)
Thought this would save time and be easier than a blow dryer and round brush, but no. My hair is long-ish and kind of fine/straight. The brushes would not grab the hair enough like my regular round hair brush. So, I couldn't get the full volume results I wanted. I can see how those with thick or wavy hair would fare better. It is very loud though. I returned mine.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not suitable for fine hair, January 29, 2008
E. Angie Neer (California, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Revlon Shine Enchancing Hot Air Kit (Health and Beauty)
This one seems to be more of a blower than a styler. I guess the 1200W is a little overkill, but the barrel design also adds to the problem. Unlike other hot air stylers, this one has vents at the base of the barrels, apparently designed to also blow air from the outside (in addition to the inside the barrel). This is especially a problem with the smaller attachment, because its vents are larger. I use the smaller barrel to style my bangs, but the air from the vents blows my fine bangs all over the place as I try to latch onto them with the bristles of the barrel. Maybe this works well if you have long, thick hair, and you are trying to use this to dry your wet hair quickly. But this doesn't work for me. I'll try the Revlon RV444 Hot Air Styler and Dryer with Ceramic, which doesn't seem to have these unwanted vents, and also seems to have a less monsterous handle, because I do like the smoothing effect that I get from Revlon's bristly barrels.

A few more notes about Amazon's description of this product:

1. They specify 3 speed settings and 3 heat settings, but this isn't true. There are 3 settings... Period. Low, High, and cool. Low is slow blower with heat. High is fast blower with heat. Cool is fast blower with no heat (and if you want to use low heat, followed by a "cool shot", you have to cycle through a high power blast of heat first).

2. I really don't know what the purpose is of the "ionic" feature. For some reason, it's an option, with an associated button and LED that you have to push each time if you want to use it. Sounds like marketing hype if you ask me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely the Best, May 10, 2006
This review is from: Revlon Shine Enchancing Hot Air Kit (Health and Beauty)
This is absolutely the greatest dryer and styler! The long bristles hold my hair against the aluminum barrel perfectly while drying. Used along with a foaming mousse, it feels like I have twice as much hair. Fifteen minutes and I have terrific-looking sleek and shiny hair. I don't use the small brush because it gives me too much curl, so it's been put away since day one. Wish it hadn't come with the kit, I might have saved even more money... :-) I have never had it stop working on me. Maybe because I'm constantly pulling the brush out to the ends of my hair and then rolling up again, and it doesn't get a chance to overheat.

3.0 out of 5 stars great product, horrible quality, March 29, 2006
Helen R. (new york, new york) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Revlon Shine Enchancing Hot Air Kit (Health and Beauty)
I have not-too-thick VERY curly hair, and this hot brush (I only use the largest attachment, and just throw away the smaller and the blow dryer) gets my hair from soaking wet and frizzy to dry, sleek, and gorgeous in under 10 minutes. It's a godsend, especially when coupled with Bumble & Bumble's "straight" straightening gel. When it's working, it's phenomenal.

BUT. This is a big but. The dryer breaks, without fail, once a month. I don't know if it overheats or it shorts out or it just falls apart, but I'll get out of the shower one day (inevitably a day when I really desperately need my hair to look good) and the darn thing just won't turn on. So it's off to Walgreens or Kmart or another drugstore to buy a new one.

At a price ranging from $15 to $25, it's cheaper to buy one of these a month than to get my hair professionally blown out every few days. But it's not something I'm happy doing. I eventually gave in and bought a $65 version by a brand I don't remember the name of (BaBy[something]). Instead of having a detachable head (another flaw with the Revlon: the head comes loose, especially if you are slightly aggressive with your straightening), it's all one piece, the handle is thinner, and the bristles aren't that sharp plastic - they're faux-boar bristles, so your hair is shinier. It takes longer for me to dry my hair with this new one, but the added 5 minutes is worth it for not having to spend $200 a year buying new blow dryers!

Revlon Shine Enchancing Hot Air Kit