Revolution: Season 1 [Blu-ray]
Format: Blu-rayChange
Price:$30.99 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on April 6, 2013
Like so many, I was a *huge* Lost fan - until the last episode. The entire run played to our emotions and our intellectual fascination with mystery. The finale took advantage of our emotions, but disregarded our intellectual fascination. (But I digress. This isn't about Lost.) I swore off watching anything touched by Abrams or Lindelof ever again after that.

But it's been a couple of years now, and I've been itching for my next fix. (I can't quit you, Abrams!) I think Revolution might be it. Of course several of the actors/actresses in Revolution come form the Lost cast, but the similarities run deeper and are more satisfying. The story unfolds through "current" (future) adventure, and flashbacks. (No flash-sideways yet!) The segues come complete with the subtle tension from the violin crescendo. Oh, I'm Lost in this show already. The story becomes deeper with every sidebar into a character's past. You can't help but fall in love with each one - even the bad guys. There's mystery and an ever-more-interesting and surprising unfolding of the plot. Only in this case, the new questions to new answers ratio seems to be on roughly even keel. I really get the sense that the writers know their way out of this one. Maybe Revolution won't be Lost to an unsatisfactory ending. :-)
on June 27, 2013
My wife and I totally enjoyed this show. I'm just waiting until the electrical grids in the whole world are shut down. I hope what happens after that occurs in NOT like what happens on this show. But it wouldn't surprise me if it did happen just like this to something close to it.
I think the writers have done a fantastic job of keeping the continuing story lines interesting and the action is very exciting and well done. The characters are intriguing and the acting is sufficient and some better than others, but all in all I think it all works well together. I hope it has enough fan base to keep going for a few more seasons.
on July 25, 2013
This was a promising story. Good actors. But, I personally would have liked to see how our heroes survived during the first days and weeks. The story doesn't do that. It jumps years I believe ahead and things have to be filled in with back stories. My idea of a story is if you are going to tell it, start from the beginning. Let us the reader get to know the good guys, their personalities, weakness and strengths and how they have what it takes to live in the new and brave world. Then go to the new world and let's see our heroes deal with the villains accordingly. You can also do something similar for the bad guys as well. Anyhow, I am purchasing this Summer's Season every week and waiting until the end of Summer so I can watch them though without interruption. If it was something I really liked as in Dr. Who, there would be no waiting. and we would all be scrambling for the best seat to watch the show.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 7, 2013
As a fan of the series I have watched the writing and acting improve steadily from the beginning and the finale was not a disappointment. It killed off a core member of the group and opened up the possibility of several new story lines for the next season.
on April 11, 2014
The intro, explaining there had been a mass-dieoff, gave me the initial impression that the show would be interesting in that it would be unflinching in the implications of the show premise. The premise of the show is that "the grid" goes down - in every respect. The actual power grid but everything else from government functions to transportation. The question "what would that be like" really IS interesting.

How wrong I was... as if to undo the grisly premise of the show, the shot that opens us into the new post blackout world shows a guy in a typical mcmansion on a cul-de-sac getting his coffee, going outside and saying howdy to the neighbors. (where the #%&# is COFFEE coming from??? The only coffee grown in the USA comes from Hawaii - and your typical Mcmansion would probably KILL you in the winter or summer without energy inputs for HVAC) As if middle class suburban life stayed sort of the same but got a new "skin" like if you downloaded a steampunk theme for your android. The writers seem to have picked an incredibly INTERESTING premise for the show only to show no interest in it.

Aside from that, the show comes off as overbearingly derivative. Chicks with ponytails and bows (hunger games is popular right, let's do something like that...), recreation of the scene from lost when charlie, kate, and jack go back to the airplane for the transceiver, recreation from the fight scene on the double staircase in the matrix sequel, obvious use of the same film locations as walking dead... (see walking dead season 2 episode 13 beside the dying fire)

I watched this show when it first aired but.... so many things came off as dumb and disjointed, so much lazy writing... I couldn't take it anymore and gave up after giving it a good chance through several episodes.
on September 4, 2013
This show is so much better than you can anticipate it being. It has everything you want and need in a hit tv show. The cast gel perfectly together and the scenery is absolutely stunning. The blu-ray set looks and sounds amazing on tv. For the price and entertainment, it's a must own set!
on April 10, 2013
This show is amazing! It has good continuing storylines, cool characters, and awesome fight scenes that make the show a lot better than a lot of what is playing on tv these days. If you are interested in what the world would be like if there was no power check out this show!
on December 2, 2013
I had high expectations for Revolution due to the Abrams connection with the series....unfortunately the series start was disappointing from the story lines to the acting. Revolution had a great concept but the show felt like a cheesy version of Sci-Fi that we have seen too often in recent years.
No edge to the stories and half the characters were just not likeable - or bad in a good way.
Then it clicked. About half way thru the season the show started add some edge and maturity to the storyline and characters.
I actually was looking forward to seeing the show each week.
If you can tolerate the first half of the season then you will be rewarded. AND the second season currently running has gotten even better so catch up and enjoy the series.
I have not watched the DVD so cannot comment on the quality of video/audio or extras offered.
on May 29, 2013
There is so much that cold have gone right in this apocalyptic survival series, but sadly, nothing from the writers went right at all. The actors are all believable and pretty good. Too bad the writing isn't.

A good scifi book or movie should do at least two things well: (1) Be about science and (2) Explain any inconsistencies in that science and have believable fixes for those inconsistencies.

A good example of this is Star Trek where we have "warp dive" that can be thousands of times faster than the speed of light. Problem: Taking inertia into consideration, in order for humans to accelerate to light speed and not be squashed to death under the power of inertia, it would take something like 9 months of accceleration to light speed, never mind "warp speed."

So how did Star Trek fix this problem? "Inertial Dampners." We don't know how that would work in real life, but it is explained in the original series, and that was back in the mid 60s. A large stretch, but at least they tried to explain the possibility of humans traveling at higher than speeds of light, and they didn't stray from physics to explain it.

Enter Revolution. Somehow a group of scientist developed a way to make all electrical devices inoperable, unless you have the secret amulet, which is about the size of a walnut.

I've watched half of the season and there is no explanation how any device could be developed that would create a physics that would render electricity unusable worldwide. The writers just skipped that. I guess it was too much trouble to understand some simple 8th grade physics. But ok, I can go with that. I mean science is strange and the more advanced we get the more we see "miracle" science. So I can live with that to a degree.

However, what I cannot live with is the nonexistence of science as a method of story telling in a scifi series, book, movie, etc. I mean it's called a 'scifi' series. So, um, where is the technology and why isn't it being developed and explained to us over time? This is about the most science-less scifi series I have ever seen. It's more of a survival-soap opera series than having to do about anything scientific.

Which brings me to my next problem, which is a disregard for science at all. In episode 6, I believe, the star group is walking through a subway tunnel to get to Philadelphia. They suffer a cave-in at the entrance to the cave, which blocks the outside air from getting into the subway. OK, lots of problems here but I can go with it.

A short time later, they begin to hallucinate because of a lack of oxygen. Really? I guess the writers have never heard about cubic inches and how to calculate how much oxygen is in an area--THE SIZE OF THE PHILADELPHIA SUBWAY! Are you kidding me? We're suppose to believe that oxygen is rushing through this gigantic subway tunnel right before the cave-in and then a few hours later a small group of humans have used it all up? Do the math. There are literally thousands of cubic feet of oxygen in those tunnels. They would die of starvation before dying of oxygen deprivation. Wow, really? This is really a disdain for science in all ways.

There are all sorts of other smaller discrepancies, but I figure if the writers are going to be that lazy and even ignorant of science, they shouldn't be doing scifi movies in the first place, and since they are, and I'm watching it, there will be many move idiotic things like this, and I just can't go with it anymore. It's ridiculous.

Here are some problems, although less blatant than the oxygen thing.

(1) Nice hair and even lipstick. Yeah, right. 15 years after all power has gone off.

(2) Clean, pressed, shiny cloths. Get a clue from Walking Dead.

(3) Really stupid writing that has the actors doing unbelievably idiot things that no thinking person would do, simply to create a problem for a plot. Example: Carrying around a power amulet they know their arch enemy is trying to get, that they know is going to cause millions of people to die if it gets in the hands of the enemy, that is agreed by the group that it is probably the most dangerous thing they could ever carry--and yeah, it gets stolen by the bad guys. Wow, didn't see that coming. They could have at least hid it and offered it for ransom to get their buddy out of enemy territory, or something like that. Wait, that would take some good logical thinking skills to pull off in a believable way.

(5) Being more of a child's soap opera than anything scifi.

(6) The bad guys are obviously much more organized and smart than the good guys. The good guys are getting caught, escaping, caught, escaping multiple times throughout, even though they continue to (1) Have no tactical plan except free the good guy, kill the bad guy, (2) Make the same idiot mistakes that get them nearly killed or captured beforehand, and (3) Allowing a 15 year old girl to run the group, in spite of almost getting them killed more times than I can count--even though there is a skilled military tactical veteran in the group. Yeah, right. Ex: At one point they capture an enemy spy. They have him in cuffs and in a cage. In order to interrogate him, they take the cuffs off and take him out of the cage to a place where he can simply run away--which he does promptly. We're talking writing on about the 4th grade level here. It reminds me of "Land of the Lost."

(7) REALLY IMPORTANT: Completely ignoring the ethics behind the enemy, which is more powerful than any of the good guys or their rag tag groups fighting them, and continuously showing the viewers how psychopathy and sociopathology are rewarded, which at the same time never allowing a counter point to the "might makes right" militia morality. For instance, they enemy has yet to kill any one of importance--they always somehow miraculously get away, while killing off key people in the good guy group. There is no dialog about how the bad guys govern themselves compared to the good guys. There is never any retribution, although the bad guys continuously murder and torture the good guys. I mean this is an excellent opportunity to introduce some intellect into the series, but nothing. Not even a mention of the difference between universal might makes right morality and its consequences compared to a more compassionate morality and it's conclusion, which means the series is trying to grab your emotions without engaging your intellect. Which leads me to number 8.

(8) The reason there isn't any thought provoking dialog about ethics, philosophy, science, morality is because the target audience wouldn't understand it. This series is written at about the 4th grade level and meant for kids between the ages of 6 and 12 or so, that is, very unquestioning kids.

The actors are all good, however, and they are doing the best they can with a stupid script. I mean when the boss tells you to use lipstick you use it, even though it's been 15 years since electricity was on.

Well, I can't do it anymore. It's a childishly written series for children and has nothing really to do with scifi at all. It's more like a kids soap opera. It's so predictable I almost fell a sleep watching it.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 15, 2013
A proper dressing down of this horrible show would take hours. It isn't that it offends, it's that it systematically takes the easiest way out at every opportunity. It always chooses the cheap thrill over real drama. It's characters speak in clichés, opening dialogues with the usual "what do you want me to say, Charlie?" or "if you need to talk" or "fill in your favorite invitation to inane dialogue here". Charlie as just one example behaves so erratically, I feel bad for the poor actress whose task it is to try to make sense of it. She's alternately stridently self-righteous, inexplicably naive, disproportionately bitter, or stone cold hard-ass. Miles is as changeable and irresolute as a sophomore in high school. He makes basic, miliary errors in judgement almost every episode. This is the man who built Monroe's killer Militia? REALLY?! Never mind the Irish Spring freshness of every character. Everybody's got cool clothes that are just sooo stylish. This show deserves to be shunned for being so aggressively stupid that even for a light network program...it's insulting.