Revolver
Format: DVDChange
Price:$8.51+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on March 19, 2008
I had originally seen Revolver on it's opening night in local cinema in England. That movie I saw there was a five star movie. When it was released in the UK as a DVD, I pick up a copy at a nearby HMV. It was the same awesome movie I saw in the theatre. Now, I'm back in the USA and I hear a region 1 version is finally available. I purchased it out of convenience. I thought a couple scenes seemed short, but when the movie ended where it did, I started checking the deleted scenes. No Joy! Watching this version, you are left with a much different message and no sense of closure.

I don't think this edit terribly ruined the movie, but I seriously question the motive behind it. I would be shocked if it was Mr. Richie's decision.

Now, for those fans of "Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels" and "Snatch," you may not like this movie. It depends on what your tastes are. Fans of David Lynch's "Lost Highway" or "Inland Empire" might warm to this film a little better. I would say the movie falls somewhere between the two camps.

Guy Richie spells out quite a bit for you, but he leaves a lot open to interpetation and analysis. I applaud the fact the director doesn't spoon feed it to you.

On a purely visceral level, he wows the audience with an arsenal visual effects. Fortunately, this not distract from the story.

However, I cannot emphasize how much better the original UK version is. I hope that somewhere down the road a more complete package of the movie is released.

Cheers!
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 28, 2008
This film is a perfect case of how a filmaker can be crucified for doing something completely different, intellectual, and to experiment, and push his style even further beyond most people's comprehension. This film is a masterpiece, period. This is the biggest psychological ride you will take since " The Usual Suspects". You'll probably have to have two viewings to fully inhale the mastery of this story, the whole film is a chess game of self exploration, with a serious, and stylish noirish comic book feel, especially from it's charecters. This is not Snatch, and this is not Lock, Stock, this is Guy Ritchie executing one of the smartest films I have ever seen in my life. Don't listen to what you've heard, people are in LOVE with Snatch, and Lock Stock, and just want to see it copied by him over, and over, that's why we have the sub par "Rock-N-Rolla" . Guy Ritchi, as well as Jason Statham prove that their bigger than that, and that they should keep moving forward, and not backwards (Rock-N-Rolla, and Jason's hollywood action fare).
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 4, 2008
This movie is a completely different beast than 'Lock, Stock & Two Smoking Barrels', and 'Snatch'. I enjoyed both of those movies immensely. But Revolver is quite unique to any movie I have seen.

I actually saw this movie a few years ago. It was released in the UK and Europe in 2005 in theatres and DVD. I purchased a copy online. I wondered at the time why it hadn't been released in the U.S.

Firstly, I cannot say much about the story, because I don't want to give anything away. It's that type of movie. Reminded me of the first time I saw 'Fight Club'. I said, "what the f---?" But I knew I'd just witnessed something pretty awesome. Definitely a movie you have to see twice.

I would really emphasize that to anyone interested in this film. It REQUIRES multiple viewings. I figured the movie out midway through the second watch. But it took several viewings to fully understand. Also, seeing other reviewers on different sites when the movie originally came out, it was definitely those who watched it several times to understand it that fell in love with 'Revolver'.

A warning here for some of you: lots of violence and blood and profanity. If that's alright with you, the movie is a thrill to watch. It tries some different things that really worked for me. Excellent sound editing, with the gritty voice over by Jason Statham. The editing is frantic. I have to say, the Elevator Scene, you'll know what I am referring to after viewing, is one of the most intense movie scenes I've ever seen.

That scene, and the finale. The final scene. In a word, INTENSE. This movie really goes out with a bang. One of my favorite all-time endings. Ray Liotta, fantastic. Great to see him with a top notch performance. Statham carries the movie. Also, Sorter, the hitman, really has a classic performance.

'Revolver' is filled with memorable scenes. They went out on a limb trying new things and it really paid off. Notably, the animated sequence is pretty cool. Dialogue: Unbelievable. Some of the things Jake (Statham) says in the voiceover, it's just really great stuff. And I loved the way they worked the quotes into the movie.

I understand that it could be a frustrating and very confusing movie to many. Again, I would highly recommend multiple viewings. But this is no doubt a movie not to be liked by all. But some of you will love it as I did.

'Revolver' really demands your attention. It has a deep and cool message behind all of it. This movie is sure to be a cult classic. Give it 5-10 years and some people will see it for what it is. A masterpiece.

The final question you'll be asking... Who is Sam Gold?

UPDATE March 21st, 2008: This review is actually for the UK version. I rented the US version tonight, because it is a great movie and I haven't seen it in a while. Turns out, the movie has been changed quite drastically the US release.

The original ending, which is one of my all-time favorite endings (as noted in the review) is gone! The elevator scene, which happens near the 3/4's mark in the original version, is part of the ending here. A few other parts were completely cut out.

I feel like they botched it. Reminds me of 'Once Upon a Time in America', where they released the ridiculously edited and cut version and it bombed. But the full length version of that film is a masterpiece.

My STRONG ADVICE: Forget about this one. Get an all-region dvd player and buy the Region 2 version on eBay for $20.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
When the name Guy Ritchie is attached to a film, the audience can depend on lots of action, violence, crisp dialog, and nail-biting sequences: his films have a 'look' and a manner that could easily be trademarked. In REVOLVER, Ritchie keeps all of those elements, but also adds the bite of challenging the audience to keep abreast of what is actually happening in the mayhem that unfolds, and it is this new element of psychological twisting of characters that makes the film so successful. It doesn't hurt that the cast contains some excellent performances by some of the very best actors of the action genre of films.

Jake Green (Jason Statham) is released from prison where he has served time in solitary confinement, by his own choice, enabling him to concentrate of the evils of graft and corruption and the deadly games people can play that call for revenge. He is cocky, wily, and full of tricks as he becomes involved in a master con game with one Dorothy Macha (Ray Liotta), the man who was responsible for his imprisonment. Macha is determined to take Jake down, but Jake falls into a 'partnership' with two bizarre characters - Avi (André Benjamin) and Zach (Vincent Pastore)- and begins to explore his own identity and apply those surprises to his compulsion to destroy the seemingly implacable Macha. How this redirection of evil and revenge unfolds is the chess game strategy of the film. To relate more of the plot would destroy the pleasure of the audience participation the film demands.

Ritchie wrote the screenplay with Luc Besson and the result is a story that manages to confuse while it entertains. Clever devices of plot turns and bits of philosophy from the most surprising characters flash quickly, enhancing the expected rough and tumble action of Ritchie's previous successes. Jason Statham is thoroughly in his element here, but the surprise performance comes from Ray Liotta who, under Ritchie's direction, turns in probably his best work to date. This is a thinking person's action flick, well made, and well worth watching! Grady Harp, March 08
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
This is clearly an intelligent man/woman's action thriller! Like a good puzzle/mystery? You'll want to watch this movie through once, and then look at it from a philosophical angle, putting the violence aside for a moment. On the surface this is a gangster style 'shoot 'em up' action, but savvy audiences will see there is a deeper, intellectual story going on. I do love these kinds of surprises, and it's a welcome bend in the road from your usual straight action movie genre. Jake, a tough ex-con finds himself in a casino game full of mind twists...but exactly who is doing the twisting? Jake is focused on getting even with the crime boss (played by the talented Ray Liotta) who killed his sister-in-law when two mysterious characters appear in his life. He's soon involved in a mind game that will leave him forever changed mentally. Like an intense Chess game, each move made by the two mysterious men seems to be very calculated and not without an end purpose. Chess players will really appreciate this one.

Chrissy K. McVay - Author
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 6, 2008

The final question you'll be asking... Who is Sam Gold?
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Revolver is one of those movies that the audience will find really hard to define. I can't remember a single film with a more mixed reception. A lot of people must think it's a total mess. Some consider it average or too confusing to be good enough. Some think it's a masterpiece. But of course you're gonna say. There isn't a single movie that wouldn't have that, right? Well, not with Revolver people. Don't take my word for it, but check out the user ratings in detail and you will see that the voters are absolutely scattered about this one. Although it doesn't have a high rating average, the majority still gave it the highest possible vote.

Snatch (Widescreen Edition) has been the only Guy Ritchie movie I've seen so far. The first couple of ten minutes I've walked into Revolver I expected something similar. There he is, Jason Statham again with a pack of other criminals and that familiar smell of gangsters teasing and playing tricks with each other again. Nothing unusual for a Ritchie movie so far. Only later you see that Ritchie is more of a Bryan Singer this time than he is his usual self. Jason Statham plays a guy named Jake Green. He just got out of prison where he's been for the past seven years and is obviously already looking for trouble. He came to a casino to play a few games with a man named Mr. Macha (Ray Liotta) who also owns the place. Jake wins the game but on his way out he collapses down the staircase for apparently no reason. Mr. Macha wasn't too happy about Mr. Green showing up in his casino. Because he feels deceived he orders his men to take Mr. Green and his associates out. But something strange happens (again) and Jake Green is the only one that survives the shooting, saved by a man he sees for the first time in his life. Jake doesn't know why he's saved, Macha doesn't know why Jake isn't dead. But you feel as if someone knows everything.

If I would try to write a more exhaustive intro you wouldn't read this comment till bed time. There is so much going on in this movie. Where do I start? Well the performances, especially by Statham and Liotta are really convincing. They are both really familiarized with their roles. André Benjamin wasn't something I expected but he seemed to have a smarter role than he usually does. The rest of the cast was awesome and played an essential role in the movie. What I will most likely remember about this film are some really outstanding scenes. The one where Macha is being pushed onto the floor by his bodyguard has to be one of the best scenes in modern-day thriller history. The script is very stirred up and everything is in motion all the time. The mysterious identity of a man called Mr. Gold is yet to be revealed. This is where it goes down somehow. Jake's odd behavior was a put-off and thank god that everything is given more sense in the last few minutes.

I would definitely recommend Revolver to fans of The Usual Suspects (Special Editon). At times the plot seems identical. Also recommended if you liked Léon and the rest of Ritchie's films. I think it's best to see this movie without any knowledge about the plot what so ever. A friend recommended it to me, saying nothing else than it's good and very unpredictable. 'It's not like the rest', were his exact words. He wasn't far off. Word of mouth is something really rare when it comes to movies in my life. I usually give recommendations too others. Thank you for that Stojan.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Guy Ritchie says he got into the film business because he always wanted to direct entertaining movies. And his latest crime thriller "Revolver" is exactly that. It's heavily flawed and utterly ridiculous, but at least it's entertaining. The story, confusing as it is, focuses on Jake Green (Jason Statham), a quick-witted gambler who puts his life on the line when he insults Dorothy Macha (Ray Liotta), a powerful casino owner. After Macha orders his ruthless killers to take him out, Jake seeks shelter with two con men offering to protect him in return for his fortune.

"Revolver" is as chaotic as a massive shoot-out in which it's nearly impossible to figure out who's shooting whom. Ritchie's script is a total, pseudo-philosophical mess, digging deep into the intricacies of the human ego. Ritchie also plays around with certain rules and formulas to pull off the ultimate con, but the whole game concept is ludicrously over the top. Meanwhile, the characters spend most of the time tossing around wise rules instead of delivering a coherent exchange of dialogue. "You can only get smarter by playing a smarter opponent" or "The greatest enemy will hide in the last place you would ever look" are just two of a horde of examples. The film also ends with a major twist, but if you haven't lost track of things or even care enough to stay focused until the end, chances are you won't be surprised.

I initially expected more from the actors, but they're certainly not in their best shape. Jason Statham is always good at playing tough guys looking for trouble, and he's undoubtedly the only cast member to put on a good show as Jake Green. Ray Liotta struggles in the role of malicious casino tyrant, but the only intimidating thing is his underwear. He really could've worn more clothes. As for Andre Benjamin and Vincent Pastore, their shallow performances almost go unnoticed.

On a more positive note however, "Revolver" is incredibly fast-paced and action-loaded. No matter how confusing or ludicrous the plot really is, the movie is stuffed with hot pursuits and crazy shoot-outs, captured stylishly by cinematographer Tim Maurice-Jones. In the end, despite the crippled script, Ritchie's direction and vision give way for some extravagant but compelling sequences that will keep the entertainment boat afloat for 105 minutes. I recommend this flick to Ritchie fans who are glad he dumped "Swept Away" and returned to the action genre.
2020 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 5, 2008
As a big fan of Guy Ritchie's earlier films, Revolver was a let down.

The plot was well thought out, and most of the cast did a superb job. This might be one of the best performances by Jason Statham. I would give this move a good recommendation with reservations.

There are a couple of things that ruin this movie. Ray Liotta seem out of his element in this role, he just doesn't come across as real as the other characters in the film. In the middle of the film there were a couple of action sequences that cut to animation and this really distracted from the feel of the film. When I got to the end, it unfolded just like I thought it would. The big surprise at the end of the movie was really easy to figure out.

If you are a fan of Jason Statham or relly like dark films about gangsters, you will probably enjoy this film. If you want something with a little more substance, skip revolver and check out Snatch. It is another Guy Ritchie film and much better than Revolver.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I had originally seen this film in its original format (UK Version) and when it FINALLY came to North America I was very very annoyed to see it changed. Small things like difference in subtitles to missing scenes to plot changes. I just bought it but I may drop kick it and set it on fire just because. It's still a great movie and in my opinion perhaps his best (original version), although I know people will shout and scream it's far from his best. A very interesting story, shot and cut just as interesting, but why the heck they recut it is just stupid. Perhaps because it did so poorly they felt the need to change it. Whatever it may be I can't believe it took this long to get here. I suggest getting the UK version but if you can't because of region issues I recommend it anyway. But what do I know?