Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 25, 2010 11:20:33 AM PDT
Frank Q Monk says:
If "re-programming" the brain is the ultimate goal, it seems to me the obvious solution is to create an odorless spray mist that induces a sense of nausea when eaten. (Note--it needn't create actual nausea, just the feeling.)

Spray it on french fries. Then let yourself eat as many as you want, whenever you want. If you start feeling sick every time you put a french fry in your mouth, pretty soon you're body will want to stop eating fries.

I went from 190lbs to 150lbs in three months living in Mexico because everything I ate made me sick there. Even after returning to the US, it was a year before I could look at a taco without my stomach churning.

Obviously, losing 40lbs in three months isn't the goal. Re-wiring the brain to hate foods which are unhealthy is. Why not fight the food industry by creating a Pavlovian revulsion to the truly damaging foods?

I love chocolate chip cookies. The smell, the taste, the warm chocolate combined with a cold glass of milk...ahhhh. But if they made me feel like I did when I was in Mexico, you couldn't force me to eat them.

I guess this comes across as an endorsement of bulimia, which it isn't. Unlike bulimia, the nausea spray I'm describing would have to be nearly instant (within a minute or two) so that it reaches the brain before feelings of satiation do. (Bulimics experience the joy of eating, enjoy satiation, then induce vomiting quickly afterward.)

Ideally the nausea would last from a minute after eating until about 20 minutes later.

It'd be critical that the spray is odorless. Otherwise the brain would just be wired to reject the scent of the spray instead of the smell of the food you wish to eliminate from your diet.

Posted on Sep 7, 2010 8:04:33 PM PDT
KJM says:
I like your idea. Wouldn't that just be a kicker to the food industry!

Posted on Sep 8, 2010 12:03:18 PM PDT
Sign me up for the nausea inducing spray. The only time I ever lost weight easily was a medication made my gag reflex hyper sensitive. I gagged my way down 20 lbs I have kept off 15 lbs. for a year so far. Now would I have the will power to spray those fries? Those donuts? Those mac and cheese dishes? Maybe my bf should do it for me! ...and I for him. Okay how can we get this idea from idea to production? Does anyone know?

Posted on Oct 15, 2010 9:57:32 AM PDT
K. Frappier says:
That seems to completely bypass all the reasons why you overeat in the first place. Also, you don't really need a spray. If you switch to eating really healthy foods, any time you eat junk you'll get sick naturally. It's happened to me many times. But I do understand how hard it is to eat healthy.

I think there are NLP techniques that do the same thing, but bypass the nausea and don't need the spray.

Posted on Nov 7, 2010 5:34:35 AM PST
Nausea sends the wrong message to your brain about eating the wrong foods - it tells your brain to avoid things due to your own revulsion. That's a pretty unhealthy way to approach food or anything else for that matter pertaining to food, and ultimately, it would probably fail anyway. Negativity is it's own monster, and if you feel that way towards food, most likely you will also transfer that to people and the rest of your life. There is nothing "wrong" or "bad" about a food, even french fries can be a part of a healthy diet - in moderation of course!

Being aware is half the problem of overeating, but once you are aware, then you have to make some difficult decisions: do you want to continue to overeat and accept the consequences, or are you ready for change to a more balanced eater? The problem isn't the food, it's the eater - I disagree with Dr. Kessler and turn the pointing finger around 180 degrees to the person. Only YOU control what goes in your mouth, no company, person, or cue can do that, your hand must place the food in your mouth in some fashion. It also makes sense to permanently change the way you eat, rather than diet, because diets are doomed to fail in the long run. As the world gets more overweight and obese, all of us are going to have to become more mindful of all of our behavior, and not just the eating kind!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2011 7:48:30 PM PST
KayBee says:
Dr. Kessler's book is not for people who can have french fries in moderation. Some people can do that. But for millions of people, people like me, we can either have no french fries or a ton of french fries. Having just a small portion is not an option. Maybe it is for you, but it's not for me, and it's not for the other people profiled in this book.

So for people like me, the best solution is no french fries. That's what the book is about. Dr. Kessler teachers ways to help us avoid the bad food completely. And yes, some foods are just plain bad. No question. There are "foods" that are just one big pile of chemicals, fat, salt, sugar, and preservatives. Those are bad foods in my book -- and in his.

Also, Dr. Kessler does say that it's on us to control what goes in our mouths. But he also explains all the tricks, the science, the chemistry that restaurants use to get us to eat dishes loaded with fat, salt, and sugar. He shows us why it's so hard to resist when our brains are conditioned to like those things. It's not just a lack of willpower. He knows it's up to us to do the very hard work of reprogramming how our brains respond to certain foods, and he gives us the tools to do so.

I think it's a great book.

Posted on Feb 14, 2011 3:48:58 PM PST
K. Frappier says:
KayBee, I'm totally a all or nothing eater. If I refrain from eating cheese and chocolate, I do really well, feel better, and lose weight. But just having one bite and I can't control myself after wards. I think the book would definitely help me out.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  6
Total posts:  7
Initial post:  Aug 25, 2010
Latest post:  Feb 14, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about