Step-by-step instructions to build an enterprise mobile web application from scratch
- Explore all of Rhomobile's features and products through the creation of a mobile web application
- Step-by-step instructions help you to build an enterprise mobile web application from scratch, through to deployment
- Clear guides for developing applications on iPhone, Blackberry, and other smartphones
- Learn how to use Rhomobile's four products: Rhodes, RhoSync, RhoHub, and RhoGallery
The four Rhomobile products Rhodes, Rhosync, RhoHub, and Rhogallery provide a complete toolkit for creating a mobile application. Rhomobile is cross-platform and so allows you to build your application for many different types of smartphone including iPhone and Blackberry just with a single codebase. This makes it the most preferred and quickest way of developing mobile apps. As you create a native Rhomobile application, you can use the built-in device features such as GPS, Push, and Camera, all with offline capabilities.
Rhomobile Beginner's Guide is filled with practical examples to help you to create a mobile application from scratch. You can choose on which operating system to build, as well as for which smartphone to develop your application, giving you the freedom to create a customized mobile application quickly and easily.
Once you have learned how to install Rhomobile on Windows, Mac, or Linux, you will create a simple application, which will be used to explore the products of Rhomobile one by one. Things really get going when you write unit test cases for your application before deploying it to the server and making builds for your chosen Smartphone.
You will learn about the different aspects of Rhomobile, starting with Rhodes 3, which helps you to build a native mobile application. Rhosync 2.1 carries out the offline device capabilities and RhoHub deploys the code on the server and creates a build for the different smartphones.
Rhomobile Beginner's Guide gives you the freedom to create a mobile web application on the platform of your choice, for the smartphone of your choice.
Create mobile applications for almost any smartphone quickly and with ease
What you will learn from this book
- Install Rhomobile products on Windows, Mac and Linux
- Create a basic Rhodes 3 application that interacts with the database
- Fetch data from backend services and display it on your phone
- Create a native User Interface for your chosen smartphone
- Write unit test cases for your application
- Deploy your Rhosync 2.1 application to Rhohub to create a build for your smartphone
- Generate views from the server using Metadata
- Make use of device capabilities such as Push and GPS
Part of Packt's Beginner's Guide series, this book is packed full of practical examples and screenshots to make building your application straightforward and fun.
Who this book is written for
Whether you have prior experience of developing mobile applications or this is your first venture, all newcomers to Rhomobile will be able to quickly develop their own mobile application. This book is accessible for people who are completely new to Ruby, though having prior knowledge of it would be a huge advantage.