5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible!
From the first track to the last "Rhythm & Blues" shows that as Buddy Guy's years increase so does his ability to entrance listeners. With each new album I keep thinking, "How is he going to top this?" and he's done it again.
Published 11 months ago by Demoley

3.0 out of 5 stars bring back old time production
Published 10 months ago by jt

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible!, July 30, 2013
This review is from: Rhythm & Blues (Audio CD)
When I saw that he was coming out with a dual disc I was a little worried having been burned by many rock albums that were stuffed with weak songs and throw away tracks. "Rhythm & Blues" never lets the quality slip. It forges ahead demanding attention relentlessly.
A few of the guest spots left me curious but they work. Having listened to Buddy for years I couldn't comprehend Kid Rock or Keith Urban, (knowing Aerosmith's appreciation for the blues it made sense) but the fit is seamless. Beth Hart just tears it apart and Gary Clark, Jr works it with soul.
This is Chicago blues on steroids. The band is tight and fluid, a perfect counterpoint to Buddy's signature playing.
From now on when anyone says that the blues is dead, this is the album I'm going to respond with. If there is any downside it's that when the twenty first track ended I was left whining for more.

5.0 out of 5 stars RICK "SHAQ" GOLDSTEIN SAYS: "THE WORLD'S GREATEST ELECTRIC BLUESMAN... SHOWS WHY HE'S STILL #1!", July 31, 2013
This review is from: Rhythm & Blues (Audio CD)
To say the electric blues is a passion of mine is to put it mildly. I listen to it constantly... watch videos of the legends... I attend concerts... and I research and read about it... and recently I'm very proud to say I've actually started an electric blues historical mentoring program through word of mouth. So when I state unequivocally that Buddy Guy is the greatest living electric bluesman... I don't do it lightly. The fact that Buddy is my favorite living artist will not affect my giving a completely honest review.

I received Buddy's latest release "Rhythm & Blues" yesterday... coincidentally on his SEVENTY-SEVENTH-BIRTHDAY. If anyone on this planet has found the fountain of youth... at least when it comes to a singing voice... and the strength and dexterity of the fingers that bend the oh-so-heavenly-strings-of-an-ELECTRIC-BLUES-guitar... Buddy Guy has not only found it... he has jumped in head first and immersed himself with this magical electric blues elixir... and thank the Lord... it seems to be indelible in every molecule of his body and soul.

This double CD is testimony to the fact that hardly any man alive has such a powerful voice that was simply pre-ordained to sing and feel the blues. If someone were to say his voice is that of a man half his age... I would challenge someone to produce a few of these blessed individuals. When it comes to guitar sound... if you are a real... real... student and lover of the blues... you also know that only a select rarefied few in history... such as **ALBERT KING**... *STEVIE RAY VAUGHAN**... have a guitar sound that you cannot only identify immediately after just a few string bending notes... but those same few notes... make the hair stand up on the back of your neck... and goose bumps rise to attention on your arms. Well, Buddy has attained that status while still walking on the face of this earth. This entire CD has Buddy's telltale... "HEAVY-STRING-BENDING-REVERBERATING*... call to arms... and he wields his powerful axe... as if he's bringing a flame thrower to the place.

A few examples of Buddy's perfect melding of blues... his life... and his aspirations... can be felt in the following ways: mentioning Muddy Waters... and B.B. King... getting after women... regardless of his age... whiskey... love for his Mother... defining... and redefining the blues... and...

A song entitled "I Came Up Hard"... that I personally identify with... and if you know Buddy's real life story... you'll know why he does too.

And how can you not absolutely love a song that has all the following references in it... Windy City... Chicago... Halstead Street... Comiskey Park... Wrigley Field... Soldier Field... Al Capone... T-Bone Steak... and the blues! ("Meet Me In Chicago")

And now a few personal comments that doesn't change the FIVE-STAR rating... but just cleanses my electric-blues-soul.

The song "Messing With The Kid"... is way... way too short. It's as short as a 45 RPM record from fifty years ago. Kid Rock and Buddy just start cooking and it's over. By the way... what a great duo that would be for a whole album! The last song on the first CD "Rhythm Inner Groove"... is 34 seconds long and shouldn't have even been put on there in the first place. On the song "What You Gonna Do About Me"... Beth Hart takes up where she left off with Joe Bonamassa... and rockets even higher! "Evil Twin"... with Steven Tyler and ?friends?... is a double barreled growling blues masterpiece.

I have been to numerous Buddy Guy concerts and am getting tickets to the one he has coming up in the bay area in a few weeks. I'm taking my son... to keep the true electric blues passed on to the next generation... and I'm taking my electric blues" mentoree".

Buddy Guy is a once in a lifetime or two electric blues legend. Listen to him... see him... if you had a chance to go back and see Babe Ruth in baseball I'm sure you would!

5.0 out of 5 stars One disc rhythm, One disc Blues & One Buddy Guy., July 30, 2013
This review is from: Rhythm & Blues (Audio CD)
Buddy Guy is the King of Chicago Blues & here is the proof. Buddy just turned 77 years old today & shows no signs of slowing down with his first 2 cd album. I grew up in Chicago & spent lot's of my free time at his place Legends & have met the man & even sat down next to him at his bar & had beers with him. Super nice man he is not to big to hang out with his fans & can play his heart out.This album is a statement that he is 77 years old & i think he just put out his best album ever. The songs are well thought out & put together. The production is tight & he is playing some of the best guitar i have ever heard him do on a studio album. Just to name a few highlights justifyin,What's up with that women.The Devils daughter & whiskey Ghost are just very cool slow blues. & thats just a few off the first disc.Some of his past studio albums just didn't capture his live guitar sound & this one does. This is exactly how he sounds live. on this set you have a few collaborations & everyone of those are awesome with Kid Rock,Keith Urban,Beth Hart,Steven Tyler, Joe Perry & Brad Whitford,Gary Clark, Jr. The album is so good it leaves me saying How does he do it? If you have ever liked anything this man has done this is the album you should be buying & adding to your collection. I think it is his best album yet.One disc rhythm, One disc Blues & One Buddy Guy. What more could anyone ask for.

3.0 out of 5 stars bring back old time production, September 1, 2013
This review is from: Rhythm & Blues (Audio CD)
While the playing by BG and singing are great the disc is produced with everything way to loud in the mix.It is fun to read which guitar the master is playing and the Memphis Horns are a welcome presence but where are the subtleties in the music. Bring back the old time production values where volume of instruments had there place in a mix. Its to bad so much music today is just turn it up to 10 as one tends to develop listener fatigue after a few cuts the music just becomes noise. I would rather listen to some of BG Chess recordings.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Guitar Work but Mediocre Songs, April 28, 2014
Dave T. Perek (San Diego, CA, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rhythm & Blues (Audio CD)
I love Buddy Guy and am amazed the continued strength of his guitar playing and his voice. Unfortunately, the songs on this album are completely forgettable. Whenever a legend has a bunch of guest stars on an album I get worried. This album continued that trend creating some bland duets with Steven Tyler and Keith Urban among others. I am sure if I heard Buddy perform these songs live I would be blown away, however on this slick album I felt like each song just rolled in the next. This album won't get much play from me. Instead I will go back and re-listen to Buddy's greatest recent work "Sweet Tea".

4.0 out of 5 stars Modern Blues Rock Classic, August 17, 2013
This review is from: Rhythm & Blues (Audio CD)
This double cd set is very good. Some great guitar licks to digest here. Not crazy about song with Kid Rock but love the one with Keith Urban and members of Aerosmith.

Like only few albums I own, this one gets better the more I listen to it. Not only has Buddy Guy continued to grow as a musician, but he has revitalized the Blues. Good job!

3.0 out of 5 stars Buddy Guy Rock`n Roll Blues !!!!!!, September 20, 2013
This review is from: Rhythm & Blues (Audio CD)
I dont think this is Buddy Guy`s best album !! There is lot of Bluesrock in this album and to little blues !!!"Slippin In" and "Damm Right, Ive Got the Blues" is better !!! Sorry Buddy !!

2.0 out of 5 stars Are you kidding me???, October 3, 2013
This review is from: Rhythm & Blues (Audio CD)
I must first start by saying I am a big fan of Buddy Guy. I own a good amount of his work and have seen him live many times. But how in the world can someone give this over produced and boring release five stars? One of the main problems is the albums producer, drummer, and main writer Tom Hambridge. He has made Buddy sound way to slick and lets him play the same solo over and over again. And the duet with Keith Urban, come on now, this is not the real blues by any stretch. And then there are the Aerosmith boys, who have not made a decent album since Rocks, so why would you let them destroy one of your songs? I admit there are a few good songs here, but this is a double CD with so much filler, it is sad. If you want to hear the real Buddy Guy, pick up Stone Crazy and hear for yourself how amazing Buddy truly is!

5.0 out of 5 stars R & B Master, June 29, 2014
This review is from: Rhythm & Blues (Audio CD)
What can one say to describe the newest (as of this writing) Buddy Guy recordings? He just keeps getting better with age and has the distinction of upping his ante even further (if that is at all possible). I love this album (CD). I recently saw Buddy Guy perform, later I was lucky enough to run into his keyboard player and he asked me what my favorite Buddy Guy album was, I told his the new one (Rhythm & Blues). Then I asked him if the band ever played "Justifyin' " from the new album as I really dig that song. He said they didn't and I told him they need to add it to the set list as it's my favorite. Another fave of mine is "I Go By Feel" I also like "The Devil's Daughter" then again, the whole album is damn good in my opinion. This CD should be a staple in anyone's collection who digs the blues. Buddy just keeps getting stronger with age in my opinion and his riffs just plain smoke!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value, June 1, 2014
This review is from: Rhythm & Blues (Audio CD)
This is a two CD set. The first CD is 'Rhythm' and the second is 'Blues'. Like the 'Rhythm' CD better. Buddy's still got it! Good tunes for the money.

Rhythm & Blues
Rhythm & Blues by Buddy Guy (Audio CD - 2013)
Rate and Discover Movies