5.0 out of 5 stars When Ella starts singing--oo, wee--she is THE champ !!!
Ella Fitzgerald, The First Lady Of Song, gives us another incredible album to enjoy. Ella's vocal gymnastics proved that she was THE consummate singer--and quite the vocal athlete at that. This CD amply proves it; and the big band style musical arrangements by Bill Doggett enhance Ella's performance on every track.

The CD set begins with "Rough Ridin'." The...
Published on July 1, 2007 by Matthew G. Sherwin

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Ella's best...
This CD is not really Ella's best... the sound is rather poor, and in some places the arrangements could be more tasteful. It is worth getting, but to new listeners I HIGHLY recommend the excellent "Clap Hands, Here Comes Charlie."
Published on September 7, 2003 by garfieldguy

5.0 out of 5 stars When Ella starts singing--oo, wee--she is THE champ !!!, July 1, 2007
Matthew G. Sherwin (last seen screaming at Amazon customer service) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Rhythm Is My Business (Audio CD)

The CD set begins with "Rough Ridin'." The horns start the melody off strong; and Ella's voice is rich, warm and especially vibrant. Ella swings brightly; she plays with the tempo, scats and adds a few quick key changes to showcase her superb vocal athletics. I love that sax solo in the middle of "Rough Ridin'," too. The percussion enhances the melody as well. "You Can Depend On Me" sports a big band flavor to the musical arrangement; and Ella sings "You Can Depend On Me" without a superfluous note. This great number allows Ella's character to express that she will be there for the man she loves even though he loves someone else. Stunning! "You Can Depend On Me" swings with the very best of them!

"Show Me The Way To Go Out Of This World 'Cause That's Where Everything Is" refers to Ella's desire to go to a world where love, excitement and joy are in abundance at every turn. This relentlessly optimistic number glistens like gold with great lyrics and the use of the horns section complements Ella's vocals to perfection! "Hallelujah, I Love Him So" gets the royal treatment from Ella and the musicians. They take this ballad and make it into a shining joyous ode to love. Ella swings confidently and does a few vocal tricks to enhance her performance. The big band style arrangement really swings hard--but it's beautiful, make no mistake about it. I think you will like "Hallelujah, I Love Him So."

"I Can't Face The Music" features Ella swinging much more gently and the comparatively slower tempo helps to make this ballad sound just right. Ella performs "I Can't Face The Music" with quick changes between notes at least an octave apart. "I Can't Face The Music," a bluesy tune with a pleasant melody that belies the seriousness of the lyrics, is a highlight of this album.

"After You've Gone" has always been a personal favorite number of mine; and the big band arrangement works well even though I've never heard this song performed quite this way. Ella swings gently with passion as she delivers this very, very well. The tempo eventually speeds up quite a bit but this never interferes with the beauty of "After You've Gone." When you hear Ella singing "After You've Gone," complete with scatting, too, you know that Ella's interpretation is THE ultimate rendition of this fine ballad.

The CD also gives us two bonus tracks that were previously unissued. "Taking A Chance On Love" gets a jazzy treatment from Ella. She sings "Taking A Chance On Love" with all her heart and soul; the arrangement leaves nothing to be desired. What a joyous ode to a new and exciting love affair! Ella scats wonderfully, too. "If I Could Be With You" has a slower tempo than the previous number and Ella sings this romantic ballad with passion and unfailing honesty. Ella's excellent diction bolsters her performance all the more.

The liner notes give us the original liner notes by Benny Green; and there is a miniature replica of the reverse of the cardboard record album jacket the way it appeared when this was released as a record album in 1962. We get a great picture of Ella on the front cover of the CD case; and the artwork overall reflects good taste and judgment.

Ella Fitzgerald will never be forgotten. She entertained millions of people worldwide; and she always led her adoring audiences wherever she wanted them to go with her unfailing honesty and strong, heartfelt performances. This CD gives us a superb sampling of Ella's work with a big band style musical arrangement and it all works very well. Ella's talent will add light into our lives for many years to come as we continue to play her CDs and watch DVDs of her concert performances. I highly recommend this CD for any Ella Fitzgerald fan who doesn't already have it and people who enjoy classic pop vocals with a jazzy twist will hold onto this CD for many years to come.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rhythm + Ella = Perfection, May 1, 2001
Aaron Brown (Seattle, WA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rhythm Is My Business (Audio CD)
Ms. Fitzgerald never ceases to amaze me with her imense talent. Every time I think I have THE best album she ever made, I get another one and fall for her all over again! On this disc, she covers a wide range of diverse material for one album. From the sorrowful mourning of "I Can't Face the Music" to the outrageous tempo and swing of "Runnin' Wild", Ella proves once again she will always be the versatile "First Lady of Song".

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't stop playing this CD!, November 16, 2000
This review is from: Rhythm Is My Business (Audio CD)
I have this CD shuffled with a bunch of other great jazz vocalists--Julie London, Sarah Vaughn, June Chrisy--and whenever Ella's songs come on, I can't help but stop what I'm doing to listen. Her voice is so crisp, she hits every note so perfectly, but it seems like she's putting no effort into it. This CD in particular is my favorite of hers that I've heard. The big band is rockin' and she adds to their energy to create songs that I can't stop playing (too loud for my neighbors I'm sure). Especially "Rough Riders", "No Moon at All", "Runnin' Wild", and "I'll Always be in Love with You". Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Ella sings with pure joy, August 24, 2000
This review is from: Rhythm Is My Business (Audio CD)
Ella Fitzgerald, in this beautiful reissue, sings with a great big band that, as you can imagine, is very different from an orchestra. Every element takes a moment for a solo, and the rithm and songs are simply wonderful.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good Ella,If Not Her Finest, April 22, 2013
This review is from: Rhythm Is My Business (Audio CD)
By the time Ella Fitzgerald teamed with R&B organist Bill Doggett to produce this 1962 session,she had already re imagined the vocabulary of jazz vocalizing several times over-from her days of crooning popular songs with the Chick Webb Orchestra in the 1930's up through her appropriation of be-bop and her scat singing breakthrough in the 50's. By the early 60's she was at that awkward point where her pioneering days were coming to a close yet she wasn't exactly ready to retire yet. Vocally she was still at the absolute top of her form. And the quality of the output she would make would have to depend on her arranger and the musicians she sang with. On this album she decided to make a full on return to the sound of the big band swing that made her. At the same time, she had already adapted a lot of new vocal ideas into her framework to do it the same way again.

With numbers like "Rough Ridin","Broadway",You Can Depend On Me","Runnin' Wild"....well the first six songs here really Ella is singing over big,brassy,swinging arrangements complimented by Doggett's organ work. The rhythm is equally driving and,of course Ella brings a combination of her wonderfully sustainable crooning and her rangy scat singing right into the spirited accompaniment. "Hallelujah I Love Her So",while done in the same instrumental style,showcases the first stirrings of a possible future for Ella where she brings out the more gospel oriented end of her pipes to interpret a then fairly new Ray Charles composition representing the beginning of the soul music era. When the blues comes in and the tempo gets slower on numbers like "I Can't Face The Music","Laughing On The Outside" and "After Your Gone" Ella's beautifully,elongated crooning cry on the high notes really shows up in a major way.

The bonus tracks "Taking A Chance On Love" and "If I Could Be With You" are both uptempo swinging numbers. Ella Fitzgerald had a long and storied history with the Verve label. In particular her mammoth recording project known as Ella Song Books-a mammoth undertaking featuring her interpretations of the music from some of the most popular and talent songwriters of the early/mid 20'th century. At the same time I'm sure Verve was expecting Ella to continue on in the same big band arrangements that made her famous. Although this worked for years, Ella herself probably found this a bit too confining for her always developing musical sensibilities. And honestly? The reviewer who referred to some of the arrangements as being less than tasteful isn't kidding-as some of them are a bit overly brassy for Ella's powerful vocals. But generally its as strong an album as Ella ever made and showcasing her at a musical crossroads.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Ella's best..., September 7, 2003
"garfieldguy" (Matthews, NC United States) - See all my reviews

Rhythm Is My Business
Rhythm Is My Business by Ella Fitzgerald (Audio CD - 1999)
Rate and Discover Movies