5.0 out of 5 stars Rhythm of Youth...a new wave classic
1. Ban the Game (0:49)
2. The Safety Dance (4:36)
3. Living In China (3:05)
4. The Great Ones Remember (4:44)
5. I Got the Message (4:45)
6. I Like (4:21)
7. Ideas For Walls (3:00)
8. Things In My Life (4:59)
9. Cocoricci (Le Tango Des Vpleurs) (3:26)
10. The Great Ones Remember (Reprise) (2:00)
11. Antarctica (3:25)...
Published on January 20, 2011 by D. Cutshaw

3.0 out of 5 stars half listenable / half perishable
As far as "BEST OF" collections go, this is not one of my favourites. There are too many other HATS songs that could have made this CD a true gem (just listen to "POP" and you'll know what I mean). Whenever I listen to this CD, I have to skip over half of the tracks. But there are some definite winners here: Safety Dance, Living in China, I Got the...
Published on December 1, 2000

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Rhythm of Youth...a new wave classic, January 20, 2011
D. Cutshaw (Asheville, NC USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rhythm Of Youth (Audio CD)
1. Ban the Game (0:49)
2. The Safety Dance (4:36)
3. Living In China (3:05)
4. The Great Ones Remember (4:44)
5. I Got the Message (4:45)
6. I Like (4:21)
7. Ideas For Walls (3:00)
8. Things In My Life (4:59)
9. Cocoricci (Le Tango Des Vpleurs) (3:26)
10. The Great Ones Remember (Reprise) (2:00)
11. Antarctica (3:25)
Bonus Tracks
12. Ban the Game (Full Version) (3:49)
13. I Got The Message (Long Version) (5:57)
14. The Safety Dance (Video Version) (2:45)
15. The Safety Dance (Club Mix) (5:50)

It was 1983 when I first bought Rhythm of Youth. I was 12 and in middle school at the time. A friend of mine sold me his cassette version for $2. I handed over my lunch money and was happy I did. Rhythm of Youth is a new wave classic, that still sounds as great today as it did nearly three decades ago. It has now been released on CD for the third time. The first time was from Statik Records in the UK. That CD is a rare one which I purchased on Ebay a decade ago. The Statik version is a jewel case cd and comes with lyrics and has the bonus tracks "Modern Dancing", "Utter Space", and "Security". The Statik version is hard to find. I paid nearly $100 for it ten years ago. The last copy I saw for sale on Ebay was $499. The second version of Rhythm of Youth I purchased is also a jewel case version and was released on Oglio Records. That version is two cds on one disc, as it also includes Folk of the 80's (Part III). It's not as rare as the Statik version, but it to has long been out of print and can be hard to find, and chances are when you do it will come at a hefty price tag.

The CD for sale here is from Bulldog Brothers and is an import for Canada. It is a digipak CD, that seems to be well made. The best part however for me is the sound quality. It doesn't say it has been remastered, but all I know is it has a louder sound than both the Statik and Oglio versions. It lacks lyrics or a booklette of any kind, but it sounds great, and that alone is worth the price. This version also resembles the cassette version I had as a child. It has all the songs on the cassette including the longer version of The Safety Dance, that was called The Extended Dance Version. For those who may have bought it on LP it also includes the single/video version of the The Safety Dance. I recommend all collectors by this latest version of Rhythm of Youth on CD before it goes out of print, and it to cost $100 to purchase. It's worth the price for the sound quality alone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential stuff by a great, overlooked band, July 18, 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Rhythm of Youth (Audio CD)
The selection on this compilation improves on the American best-of collection by including the rare 'Freeways' (one of their best ever, a pulsing, driving song) and the rocky 'Sideways' (the title track of their underrated 1991 'guitar' album). The brilliant hooks, playful melodies, and thoughtful lyrics make this a terrific record and underscore just what a good band this was.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ah the memories!, March 11, 2009
Dave (Missouri, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rhythm of Youth (Audio Cassette)
I'm the first, and probably going to be the only reviewer for this little gem. I first got this in high school, for like a doller at a truck stop, and it has held a place in my heart ever since. The Men FINALLY put this out on CD, with the bonus of Folk of the 80's Part 3 for good measure. I defenately recommend getting this in whatever form you like. (I still have my tape and listen to it every so often to take me back to not-so-technologically-advanced times, when the world was a pearl)

5.0 out of 5 stars A definite "must have", March 25, 2011
This review is from: Rhythm Of Youth (Audio CD)
I purchased this disc more or less on a whim, thinking back to how much I loved the cassette version some 20+ years ago, one of the few tapes I had which I wore down effecting the sound quality. WOW! Am I glad I did!! As another reviewer here says, the sound quality is incredible, particularly for a barely remembered band on an independent label. The music itself just brings back so many memories of long car trips and ranting on and on to my friends and family about how much I loved this band. Essential and very under rated synth-pop. Highest possible recommendation.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sounds as good as it did back then, March 17, 2006
This review is from: Rhythm of Youth (Audio CD)
If you are into synth-pop of the eighties, you’ll get a thrill out of the extended mix version of “The Safety Dance” on this album. Most people identify Men Without Hats with this song, and rightly so, as it was their first hit single, from the album “Rhythm of Youth”.

Fans of this Canadian pop band will also fondly recall songs like “I Got the Message”; “Antarctica” and “Pop Goes the World”, their second hit single. The distinctive vocals of Ivan Doroschuk sound as good today as it did then, and the catchy beats and hooks can still make you want to hit the dance floor.

Sure, the lyrics won’t win any awards, but this album rates high on the fun meter.

Amanda Richards, March 18, 2006

5.0 out of 5 stars Is everybody confused? No., August 17, 2013
This review is from: Rhythm of Youth (Audio CD)
It's been a 30 year love affair for me and this album. I got my 1st of many copies in 1983, when I was 13 years old. Like many, I was introduced to MWH by the video for 'The Safety Dance', but the album has so much more to offer as well. Upon 1st listen I was immediately drawn in by the catchy hooks that are everywhere. I will never tire of hearing my album favorites 'The Great Ones Remember' and the insanely quirky 'Ideas For Walls'. The energy and excitement is enough to wake someone out of a coma. The second U.S. single from the album 'I Like' is another tireless classic, though why the single did not perform very well is one of life's great mysteries.

Other styles displayed on 'Rhythm of Youth' are hit and miss. 'Things In My Life' is a mid-tempo classic, while 'Cocoricci' is remarkably irritating. The "Reprise" version of 'The Great Ones Remember' is little more than a brief bit of electronic doodling that has little to do with the original track.

'Rhythm of Youth' had various differences in track listing and running order between countries. Being in the U.S., we had the altered track listing that replaced the single version of 'The Safety Dance' with the superior Dance Mix, but then we also lost the excellent single 'Living In China' to have it replaced by the wonderful, though edited single version of their debut release 'Antarctica'. (Note: 'Living in China' was the B side of 'The Safety Dance' 7" in the U.S., and 'Antarctica' was originally released in a longer version on their 1980 debut EP 'Folk of the 80's'.) This CD is yet another variation, shuffling the running order yet again, but including all of the songs/versions from related releases.

The biggest surprise is that the CD has been fully remastered from original studio tapes, rather than just transferred from previously mastered CD editions (like the Oglio 2 on 1 CD had been). The sound quality improvement is immediately drastic, though a little bit on the loud side. So much more detail is evident on this issue than ever before. My only real complaints are a lack of packaging (no booklet), some blatant misspellings, and the absence of the essential 'Folk of the 80's' EP. (Note: The EP was available on the original 'Rhythm of Youth' CD from the mid-80's, though strangely replaced the full length 'Antarctica' with the edited version.) The EP is screaming out for the reissue/remaster treatment, including all variations of the classic 'Freeways' single as bonus tracks.

While I'm still a fan of MWH to this day, they never again achieved this solid of an album, though 1984's 'Folk of the 80's, Part III' comes very close. 'Pop Goes The World' has a handful a great songs, but 'In The 21st Century' has very few. By 'Sideways', MWH decided to jump on the grunge bandwagon of the early 90's and made their most unlistenable album yet. But they recently returned to their analog roots with 'Love In The Age Of War'. Fans are raving about that album like it's the best thing ever, but I will admit that it's fairly spotty. There's just not enough of the quirk that made 'Rhythm of Youth' so memorable, but at least they're still around. For the pinnacle of the MWH sound, 'Rhythm of Youth' will always be the album.

4.0 out of 5 stars Why do I like this?!?!?, July 11, 2013
This review is from: Rhythm of Youth (MP3 Music)
I had no idea I would like this album so much. This is not the kind of music I normally hear at home or at my car, but for some strange reason I find these songs (not all, but many) very catchy. My favorites are Antartica, Safety Dance (Video Version) and I Like.

Enjoy

5.0 out of 5 stars Men with out hats, February 5, 2011
This review is from: Rhythm of Youth (Audio CD)
Very nice CD. Tough CD to find Amazon and Ebay about it. Amazon has the best price I could find. Thanks Amazon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Soooo worth the 6.99 proce!, April 16, 2014
This review is from: Rhythm of Youth (MP3 Music)
A Blast from the Past, that sounds just as good (if not better) today! If you remember this from your childhood, as i do. Do NOT Hesitate to re-purchase it, and get on with re-living those glory years!

4.0 out of 5 stars Classic Techno, March 25, 2014
This review is from: Rhythm of Youth (MP3 Music)
Infectious beats and synths, and at least half the lyrics are funny, while the other half are nonsesne...but a message still gets delivered somehow. Sounds as good today as it did back in the 80s.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Rhythm of Youth
Rhythm of Youth by Men Without Hats (Audio CD - 1996)
Rate and Discover Movies