5.0 out of 5 stars This actually works - and works well
Published on November 29, 2004 by Victoria Tarrani

3.0 out of 5 stars Good concept
I love the idea of this but I wish I had spent more for a better quality version. I had seen them used by others and chose this one but it is not well made. The number dial is not accurate and is loose so as you are using it you have to keep checking that it has not moved. It works but I'll probably end up getting a better one.
Published on May 27, 2012 by Debs

5.0 out of 5 stars This actually works - and works well, November 29, 2004
This review is from: RhythmTech RT7350 ProTorq Drum Key (Electronics)
I purchased this key on a whim. When it arrived the instructions were not clear, but I sat the dial to #2, loosened all of the lugs on my floor tom and went around my lugs using opposing lug patterns, and tested the first cut of tuning. Too loose and deep, so I increased the setting to #3 and repeated. Almost the sound I wanted, so I used a regular key and went an eighth turn using the same pattern. Perfect. I then started on the next largest tom, working back to the smallest. Using the #3 setting plus an eighth turn I got my toms 1/2 octave apart.

Next I worked on my snare drum, starting with the snare side, then the batter side. I used #4 on the batter side and #5 on the snare side, and managed to get the crisp, yet warm, sound I wanted. The bass drum came next - I set the batter side tension 1 notch below the resonant side and achieve a great tuning. From there I went back and set the resonant sides of each of my four toms one notch higher than the batter side and marveled at the perfect tuning I attained.

This is an easy device to use - with the lever facing you move it to the left, loosen all of your lugs, then tighten each starting with one or two. When the lever clicks and moves to the right position you have reached the torque setting. Test, increase a notch if necessary, and repeat until you get the sound you want. Set the resonant heads either one notch higher or lower to make sure the batter and resonant heads do not cancel each other (and to your desired sound), and you will have a perfectly tuned set.

I'll never go back to tuning by ear! You'll be amazed by the results if you tune with this key, and don't forget to write down your optimum settings.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you are a drummer, get this., October 1, 2010
This review is from: RhythmTech RT7350 ProTorq Drum Key (Electronics)
I've been playing for over 15 years now and I could never tune my drums right. They always sounded a little off. I fricking love this thing. I set most of my drums to around a 5 or 6 and it sounds so damn good. Seriously, buy it. Or if you know a drummer, tell them about this thing!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good concept, May 27, 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars perfect, February 10, 2011
This review is from: RhythmTech RT7350 ProTorq Drum Key (Electronics)
tune one lug and set the tension. this thing rocks. moved around my whole kit and tuned so fast my guitarists head was spinning. does super low tension and super high all very nicely.

could not have asked for a better key unless it started spinning and tuning on its own. or maybe walked my dog as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars great tool, November 4, 2008
This review is from: RhythmTech RT7350 ProTorq Drum Key (Electronics)
This tool is kinda tricky when reading the directions but once you figure it out it is really quick and easy to tune your whole set in 5 minutes. Because of this tool i am getting the sound that i want out of my drums.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Product, Great Price, October 6, 2009
This review is from: RhythmTech RT7350 ProTorq Drum Key (Electronics)
This drum key works for tuning. Before i bought it i had a horrible time trying to tune my drums by ear. Now that I the Rhythm Tech Pro Torq drum key it's no problem! Every drummer should buy this product!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Torque Drum Key, December 18, 2012
This review is from: RhythmTech RT7350 ProTorq Drum Key (Electronics)
The main problem I encountered is that even the lowest torque setting is far too tight for my lower toms and kick. It worked great for my snare but that's about it. It's fairly well made and should last quite a while.

1.0 out of 5 stars Guage not sensitive enough to tune drums, June 28, 2014
This review is from: RhythmTech RT7350 ProTorq Drum Key (Electronics)
This is my experience: I used a brand new Pro torque drum key to put new drum heads on a new set of drums. That's why I bought the ProTorque. However, it was absolutely no use in tuning the drums. The loosest setting on the dial of the drum key put too much tension on the lugs and tightened the head way above normal tuning range. The higher settings on the dial are so tight that there is no use for it. The pressure it is inconsistent and the device is just not sensitive enough to tune drums properly. Dont waste your money on this. A simple drum key works better than this device.

3.0 out of 5 stars Inflexible, April 12, 2013
This review is from: RhythmTech RT7350 ProTorq Drum Key (Electronics)
I play a drumset at mainly Jazz tunings, meaning the lugs are crrrranked up. Unfortunately, these don't provide NEARLY enough tension to measure how tightly I tune my set; if you are a drummer who likes to keep their drums tuned low/low-medium, this is a good purchase for you, otherwise steer clear.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works as advertised and tunes like a god., March 21, 2013
This review is from: RhythmTech RT7350 ProTorq Drum Key (Electronics)
I bought this drum key from musiciansfriend.com because they offered free shipping. It arrived four days before the estimated arrival. While the instructions weren't the best, I quickly figured out how to use it. You push the lever towards the red dot, set the tension (not displayed in any particular unit, just numbers 1-9), and turn. Once it gets to the desired tension, the lever moves and makes a clicking sound. Alternatively, if you wish to loosen a lug to a specified tension, push the lever to the side opposite the dot an loosen the lug. The lever will move to the dot once it's at the tension.

I started tuning with my snare drum. First off, I loosened the lugs on both sides. This nifty drum key also works as a standard key, negating the need to switch keys. After both sides were loose, I tightened the beater side to 3 and the snare side to 4. This was too deep of a sound; however, after adding a number (2 notches, the tuner progresses in halves) to each side, I got a desirable sound. I repeated the process with different numbers for each of my other drums. The high tom required a half notch between 4 and 5 for the beater side and between 5 and 6 for the resonator side. Sometimes, it still wasn't perfect, so I turned an eighth rotation for some before I got it to a desirable sound. Overall, this drum key can remove hours of tuning time - the whole process for my 5-piece set took 10 minutes.

RhythmTech RT7350 ProTorq Drum Key