Ribz Front Pack (STEALTH BLACK, Small)
Color: STEALTH BLACKSize: S - smallChange
Price:$62.99 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on September 11, 2011
First thing that I would like to say is that this is a great concept that should have been adapted by many.
By putting items where you can easily access, you tend to use them more often, as in the cases of camera, lip balm, sunscreen, energy bar...etc.
The ribs front pack gives you just that - easy access. However, I think the execution is sub-par. The whole package is lightweight, which is not necessarily a bad thing. But using plain webbing shoulder straps without any reinforcement is not thoughtful. The thin webbing would get cringed into more of a cord than a flat strap, which when worn under a 45 lbs backpack is bound to give problems. I developed some rashes under those straps over a three-day trip on the High Sierra Trail. I plan to stitch some lightweight mesh-backed pads to help solving this problem.

The Velcro adjustment of the width in the back is also problematic, as it sticks to the mesh on my backpack and also my shirt (promptly messed up the exterior of both articles). Honestly I don't think the adjustment strap is needed in the first place. The pack is pretty stable without it. The plastic buckles are cheap and easy to come undone, and I don't think the zippers are waterproof as they claimed.

Overall, I understand that innovation is not easy and should be rewarded, but given the price, I expected more.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 20, 2012
I bought the 2010 Ribzwear frontpack because it was less inexpensive than the 2011 model and did not realize there are major differences between the two years. If I had seen a review that noted these differences, I would not have purchased the 2010 version which is why I'm writing this. The 2010 model has, in my opinion, serious design flaws. Fortunately, these have been fixed in the 2011 model. Most notably:
1. The zipper for the large pocket is only on the front face of the pack making it impossible to "peel back" the fabric and reach inside. The newer version has the zipper running across the top and down the front side like a backpack so you can "peel back" the front face and easily reach inside to get items.
2. The material is very stiff which further makes reaching inside to grab items difficult. The newer model is made of softer ripstop nylon.
3. The pack does not expand very much when packed which makes getting stuff in and out very difficult (compounded by the zipper placement and the stiff fabric). The newer model may expand the same but because of the softer material, zipper placement and overall design it is easy to get items in and out.
4. The zippers are large, difficult to use and very loud. Not good for hunting or grabbing your camera to take a picture an animal. The newer zippers are much better.
5. The packs are just big which makes getting stuff at the bottom of the pack, and away from the front difficult to get (again compounded by the zipper placement, stiff material, and lack of expansion ability). The newer packs are not as big and are curved at the back of the pack.
6. The torso area of the pack cannot be adjusted while you are wearing it as it is velcro. So to adjust it, you have to take it off, move the velcro, try it back on and keep doing that until it fits the way you want. The newer ones have webbing that you can adjust while wearing it like the waist strap of a backpack.
I ended up buying a 2011 version and like it a lot and would recommend buying it if it is something you need. However, I cannot recommend buying the 2010 model.
on November 24, 2011
With some forward planning, you can pack your essentials in this front pack which is roomy and has enough inner and outer pockets and compartments to function as a daypack. I use it primarily on backpacking trips so that I don't have to break stride to fumble for maps, compass, knife, snacks, water, first-aid, etc. A very minor downside is the back horizontal strap tend to bunch but does_NOT interfere with its comfort.
on September 21, 2011
The seller upgraded me to the new 2011 model which is not actually the same as the one shown in the picture... It's made from different (silent) material and a slightly different camo pattern which I actually like much better. The only real difference between the 2 models is that the 2011 has big strap clips in front where the old version had d-rings. I like the new one and the quality seems about the same.

The pack is very comfortable to wear with or without a backpack. I took it out trout fishing last night and it performed admirably! I noticed that it was a bit more comfortable to wear higher up almost on my chest as opposed to to around my belly (I've got an ample gut :P) and sitting down almost forces the pack into this position anyway. I was able to stuff 2 small tackle boxes, floats, hooks, stringer, phone, knife, compass, leatherman's, sun glasses, bug spray, sun block, smokes, lighter and a few other items in there with ease. I love the inner pockets to help keep things organized as well.

The only thing I don't like, is how the straps rub against my neck when only wearing a t-shirt under the pack. I'm sure the straps will break in and soften up over time and I'll often be wearing this over a jacket or sweatshirt (as I did last night), but right now I would think it's a bit annoying. That by no means takes away from the utility and convenience of this pack.

Overall this is a great product and I'd highly recommend to anyone!
on August 21, 2011
This pack works great when used by itself or in conjunction with a conventional backpack. The main benefit is having stuff readily available without having to take off the backpack to reach it. The second greatest benefit is having it serve as a day pack for side trips. The manufacturer speaks of the benefit of moving some weight forward of your torso so you don't have to lean forward as much when packing. Theoretically, this is valid but I didn't notice a significant difference.

I don't use a hydration bag with my large pack. Being able to keep a water bottle or two in the Ribz pack is very convenient. It is also a great place to carry your camera. The camera is close at hand but not swinging around on a neck strap. If you take advantage of the new carry laws in the parks, it keeps your critter repellent handy while still being discrete. The forward pocket openings seem designed for this whether you right- or left-handed. Keeping your first aid kit, bug repellent, sunscreen, etc. in this pack keeps it handy on the trail and eliminates the need to transfer the stuff when using the Ribz as a day pack.

When using the Ribz with backpack you will need to put the Ribz on first. I did not notice any interference with the backpack straps or any discomfort. Other than the addition step required by putting on two packs, I noticed no changes.

Packers that are into Ultralight will not appreciate carrying the additional ounces of weight. Unless you are a total weight snob, you will really appreciate the convenience factor over having to carry some additional nylon around.
on December 21, 2011
Great Idea, low quality. One zipper broke and threads/seems ripping. The idea is great, just need better quality parts, straps are also cheap.

Update. 01/20/12. The ribz I had must of been the first or second rev (got them early 2011)...I got a newer one and it's much better. I am changing from 3 stars to 4 stars, I'll reserve 5 stars for the new ones comming out in March.

Update. The new ones are 5 stars

Update. 10/03/13 The New New are even better. Keeps getting better all the time. Great for winter hiking, too hot in summer but I'm in Texas so everything is too hot in the summer.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 20, 2013
With Turkey hunting on the mind, I knew a clunky backpack wasn't something I was looking forward to messing with. Especially when I was planning on hunting Run & Gun style where I was going to moving a lot and sitting up against a lot of trees trying to draw that tom into close range. Also with plans on wearing a ghillie suit, I wanted something that would fit easily under a jacket and still offer plenty of room for storage of all my calls, ammo, gear and a snack or two. I was excited when I was asked to look at the Ribz Front Pack as this looks like it was just what I was looking for. Read my full review with pictures at www.Averagehunter.com/2013/05/ribz-front-pack/
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
The Ribzwear Front Pack is a unique design that allows you to comfortably carry gear in front as opposed to using a backpack or lumbar pack. This is a great item for short to medium length hikes or when camping and you venture from your campsite but want some essential gear with you. You can carry a firearm with this but don't expect a fast draw. Keeping the firearm in a holster is necessary for obviouse safety reasons.

Basics:

+ Stitching is high quality and should hold up well over the long haul
+ Zippers all function very well and appear durable. You can easily add paracord to the zipper pulls if you want more of a grip or just like to modify your gear. When loaded with gear it is important to make sure that the zippers are completely closed so that gear does not accidently fall out.
+ The straps are high quality nylon
+ Shoulder straps sometimes tend to move or bunch up which can be sewn in place to prevent movement. I did this and it works well for me.
+ I really like the Forest Green color

This pack is constructed very well and is durable. It will definitely stand up to a lot of use and abuse. It is capable of holding a good amount of gear while remaining comfortable. Importantly, the load remains stable and does not shift position which is important if you are doing any sort of technical moves.

Two improvements that I would recommend:

1. Have double zipper pulls
2. Provide vented channels on the backside to increase ventilation/air flow

Overall Assessment:

The Ribzwear Front Pack is designed and constructed well and provides a lot of functionality by having gear readily accessible. This would also be a good pack to carry some vital first aid equipment. Obviously, if you are in a situation where you need to be on your stomach/chest then this is not the pack for you. One aspect of this pack that I do not like, which has nothing to do with the quality of the pack, is that I just don't like the look of wearing a pack on the front of my body (hence, 4 stars.) This is purely a personal issue and does not detract from the quality of the product.

Overall, a unique carry method that adds a lot of utility.
on August 27, 2012
Wanted something to distribute the weight of a pack and ran across these. Did some other looking around and this seemed to be the best system to handle the task. The pack is very comforatable and you can't even feel the straps after you put your main pack on. The packets are huge! When it's loaded and on, the pack does not restrict your arm movements and actually gives you a place to rest your arms - kind of like a table. Very comfy. It's a nice change from just having your arms dangle. Access to you most often needed stuff is a plus. I loaded it to the 10 pound limit and was amazed with what was in the pack. First aid kit, rain poncho, GPS and other misc stuff fit with no problem and still had room for socks. Easily adjustable too.
on September 24, 2013
Yep!!! Buy it, this is a great addition to any day pack or long haul pack. I always hated removing my pack to get a hand full of peanuts, now I feel almost lazy, but I'll get used to being lazy :). The only problem I can see with it is in warm weather, it can be a bit warm, but in the winter a blessing. I bought the larg or "regular"; I can not imagine why any one would want a smaller one...Perfect! Go for it !!!

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations