Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Showing 1-10 of 875 reviews(4 star). Show all reviews
on November 17, 1999
If you want to know about how to achieve financial independence, your best bet is to hang around people who have, or are in the process of, achieving financial independence. Kiyosaki has hit on a key point -- the reason the rich teach different things to their kids than poor people do is simple: they KNOW those things by experience. A poor person can not teach you how to attain financial independence. All they can teach you is how to be broke. So stop listening to your broke co-workers and your broke neighbors and the broke people at your church or temple and listen to, and read books by, people who have achieved success, and who are focused on the positive possibilities of the future. And have an open mind -- if you aren't wealthy and someone is trying to tell you how to get there, the smartest thing you can do is shut up and listen. (I teach broke people how to leverage the Web to make money -- more than half of them know nothing about it, but tell me everything about why I'm wrong.) Two good books you should read if you liked this one: The Roaring 2000s, by Harry Dent, and "Don't Worry, Make Money," by Richard Carlson.
on July 12, 2000
The part that stick with me out of this book is the point about how middle class and poor people try to look rich. At first it offended me, but the longer I read on the more I understand. Damn! Can it be that simple and my conclusion is yes it is. My whole mindset has changed to the point where I cringe when I talk to a person who lives above their means and I listen as they complain. I just changed my mindset everything I buy do or say relates to money and I throughly enjoyed the part about investing and I can especially see where we send our children to school to learn how to be employees. Yikes!
on May 1, 2000
I have often wondered why useful and relevant courses are not taught in our schools such as the importance of budgeting and balancing a checkbook, dangers of credit card debt, how compound interest works, and investment choices. I was pleased to discover in Rich Dad, Poor Dad that Robert Kiyosaki feels the same way. Education has not kept up with our rapidly changing world and Kiyosaki believes that the gap between the haves and have-nots in our society is widening. As his book and ideas get more media attention and widespread discussion, perhaps educators will take note and promote changes in school curricula to include courses leading to financial literacy.
This book shows us how to have a money tree later in life by planting seeds -- investing money -- on assets as early in our working lives as possible. Kiyosaki exhorts us to learn the difference between an asset and a liability and then "concentrate . . . on only buying income-generating assets."
This book is for readers looking for an early exit from the rat race who are open to suggestions and motivation from someone who has already done it.
on December 9, 1999
Rich Dad Poor Dad makes a very important distinction between doing what the rich did vs. acting like you're rich. So many people buy the things that rich people buy and spend as if they were rich rather than taking the actions the rich take to get rich. This point alone makes the book valuable.
Be patient with writing and the redundancy. Robert Kiyosaki does not claim to be a great writer and he is right. He presents his points and uses redundancy rather than clarity to make them. If you let this get to you you'll miss the valuable messages.
on September 16, 2000
Robert Kiyosaki's best seller should be required everyone who has ever heard of 401k. Using a comparison of two pivotal men in his life, Kiyosaki leads the reader into a discussion of how we think about money. His father, a highly educated man, never achieved financial success. His second father figure did not finish eighth grade, but went on to build a financial empire.
The juxtaposition of these two fathers and their views about money is used as a historical travelogue through Kiyosaki's life. He talks about the differences in opinions and how following traditional advice about working hard in a corporation or the government can lead to stable employment (if you are lucky) at the cost of independence and financial success. Using good financial judgement is not common, but can lead you to riches and freedom using using tax loopholes, property, investments, and employees.
The book is easy to understand because it was written for a mass audience. I believe a good editor would tighten up the text and remove some of the random typos, improving the readability of the book. This is why the book only received four instead of five stars.
How you think about money will lead you to riches or make you a slave for wages. Read "Rich Dad, Poor Dad" if you want to take control of your financial future.
on July 21, 2000
As a beginner in the financial market it was helpful to have information of how to be smart with my money. I firmly believe in going to school and even getting your grad degree, but the working world is extremely harsh. I would rather do what I like doing rather than working paycheck to paycheck. This book gives me an idea of how to start. Yes, the book is not the best written book, but ask yourself, what does it matter? The author himself is wealthy, which is more than I could say about many of his critics. I did not give it five stars, because he could have elaborated on some of the issues like forms of investing other than realestate. Also I found it insulting how he treated his father, but I do think his reason for doing it was to portray the foolishness of the middle class philosophy. I do not recommend this for people who are heavily in debt, extremely poor, or above 40. For people heading into the work world, or people who don't like the working world, should buy a copy. ... For the beginner the information is invaluable.
on August 18, 2000
Rich Dad, Poor Dad focuses on the author as a child. He is torn between the advice of his dad, and his best friend's dad. It is a real eye opener because his dad is highly educated, yet poor, while his best friend's dad lacks education, but is rich.
It shows the importance of thought, the author would hear contradicting views on the same subject from his two dads and he had to think about why each said what they did. It is not so much important what path you take to financial freedom, only that you physically and mentally move towards that path. By listening to each father's side, Robert could compare and contrast the advice, forcing his brain to think and make decisions. It is then and only then, do we as humans unlock our full potential.
The books demonstrates that there is a distinct difference between general education and financial intelligence. The key to financial freedom is a good mix of both. General education opens doors for you, while financial intelligence guides you through them.
The book is quick read and i would recommend it to anyone who has the drive and desire to get ahead as we leave the industrial age and enter the information age.
on December 4, 2000
I read his Rich Dad series out of order so maybe I got spoiled by "Cashflow Quadrant." If I had read the original R/D, P/D first I might have another opinion. But if you want to cut to the chase, just read his book, "Cashflow Quadrant," and you'll get the gyst of what he's trying to get across. I found it the most motivating and informative of the trilogy.
Avoid his "Guide to Investing"; I found it a waist of time. After all, how many times can he come up with those silly stories. One book's all you need.
He shamelessly hammers home the Cashflow game series, too. They sell at quite a premium I might add. Haven't tried one yet, but I'm considering the Kids version for my daughter.
All in all, he does a great job of letting people know that they don't need to be super smart to be super rich. Just get up the guts to go out and do what it takes to get going and make your fortune.
I hope this helps.
HALL OF FAMEon May 31, 2000
With all of the how to make money books around, this one seems to offer some real, concrete information to help everyone take command of their financial resources and to gain wealth for themselves and their families. Some of the food for thought includes: exploding the myth that you need to earn a high income to be rich; challenging the belief that your house is an asset; showing parents why they can't rely on the school system to teach their kids about money; and clarifies assets vs liabilities. The author provides a definition of being rich and poor and the fundamental differences. It will make you think. He helps you forget some of the misinformation you believe in, and tells what we should have learned from our parents, if they had known it. The book will make you take a hard look at where your headed and where you should be headed, education-wise. His lessons are simple, easy to read and understand and help you put them into practice for the good of you and your family. You can only gain, by taking a look at this book. Well worth reading.
on February 26, 2001
My Dad told me about this book, and for a good reason. I'm 33, divorced, and have not a thing to show for it. After reading Robert T. Kiyosaki's book, I have made drastic changes in the way I think and feel about money, work, time-management, and my dad. This book hits things right on the "money", and opens your eyes so that you can see the bigger picture and begin to make serious changes. The book is extremely easy to read and follow. And if you have an open mind, you can allow it to transform your way of thinking to start you on the track toward financial success. I highly recommend it to anyone who is ready to hear and to believe that the old ways are out and it's time for a new way of teaching, learning and living with money.