Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Rich Food Poor Food: The Ultimate Grocery Purchasing System (GPS)
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM

Format: Paperback|Change

on March 28, 2013
I was sorely disappointed with this purchase, particularly given the glowing endorsements from Mark Sisson and the like, and the book being featured on several podcasts. It feels to me far more like a niche exploitation of an already fairly saturated market. More importantly, if you already know anything about nutrition, it's just not necessary.

The Caltons begin with this disclaimer: "If you're reading this book, you are likely quite far ahead of the pack when it comes to knowledge and interest about healthy eating. You're likely familiar with the popular adages to avoid foods with stuff you can't pronounce on the label or to shop the perimeter aisles of the grocery store, where the fresh foods are typically located. You may have even embraced the Primal/Paleo/evolutionary health movement and optimized your diet to be free of naked calories and centered upon the micronutrient rich planet and animal foods that our ancestors evolved on."

So good, so far. They continue: "One things for sure, whoever you are and whatever your current level of knowledge and commitment is, there is always room for improvement."

The question is: How much improvement? The answer: Very little.

Honestly, the previous paragraph sums up the main message of the book: Shop the perimeter, and don't buy foods with ingredients you can't pronounce. Rich Food, Poor Food never truly delves any deeper than that, except to give you specific details on the deleterious effects of said ingredients.

What I found more discrediting, however, was that the Caltons engage in the same sort of (what Michael Pollan termed) 'nutrititionism' they seem to denounce. There are pages filled with the specific health benefits of assorted fruits, vegetables and herbs:

"Feeling sluggish in the mid-afternoon? A handful of blueberries should do the trick for a quick energy kick."
On bananas: "They may be yellow on the outside, but these white-fleshed fruits are packed with powerful potassium."
On cayenne: "Capsaicin, found in cayenne, has thermogenic properties that increase your blood flow and metabolism."

Sure, the book IS focused on micronutrients, but the syntax and tone espousing each and every benefit reads like so much of the poor advice you find on Yahoo! Health or your local news channel. There's not a lot of thought given to simply eating a well-rounded diet. If I didn't know much about nutrition, I'd come away thinking that I'd have to eat 20 coconuts, 10 cayenne peppers and chew on cardamom seeds after each meal in order to lose weight and have healthy digestion.

Perhaps most distracting, however, is simply the corny tone. It works if you want simple mantras for repeating to yourself: Sage: Memory Minder, Coconut: Weight-Loss Wonder, Onions: The Bone Builder. And puns like these gems: "Our Ancestor's Favorite Meat Was Offal!" and "Make No Bones About It-Bone Broth is the Original SOUPerfood."

Lastly, they end each section with a comparison of products to avoid and to buy (Steer Clear, Steer Here). It's useful in one or two sections (condiments, especially), but frequently the products in comparison shouldn't be compared, ex. "Steer Here: Cascadian Farms Organic Vegetables" vs. "Steer Clear: Jolly Green Giant Cheese Broccoli." For readers truly invested in nutrition, etc. this is already a no brainer - how about whether or not my local Market Basket Organic is as healthy as Cascadian Farms? You can't really compare plain brussels sprouts with fake-cheese smothered broccoli.

All in all, an interesting enough read, but if you are a regular reader of any nutrition blogs (MDA, Robb Wolf, etc.), it's not worth your money. Works fine as an introductory guide to healthier shopping, but I'd still recommend steering clear of this one.
77 comments|230 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 13, 2013
During the journey to improve my health, I stumbled upon the book Naked Calories by Mira and Jayson Calton. With regard to diet, all we ever hear about in the media is macronutrients (protein, fat and carbohydrates) and how they impact your diet. Here was this couple telling me how micronutrients play an integral part in what you eat! This was a real eye opener for me and I could not put the book down until I read it cover to cover. When I heard that the Calton's getting ready to launch new book, I could not wait to get my hands on it! My wife and I were fortunate to see the Calton's give a talk recently and I was able to purchase a copy of the book early.

Rich Food Poor Food is the perfect follow-up companion to Naked Calories. It takes the theory of eating nutrient dense, real food and helps us learn how to shop and obtain the maximum amount of micronutrients in the food you eat. It was immediately clear that an amazing amount of time and research went into creating this book. Over the last year, I have read numerous books, blogs and articles on nutrition and still learned so much more from reading Rich Food Poor Food!

The book is beautifully designed in a logical manner that anyone can follow. The perfect mix of science and practicality allows the reader to literally walk through the grocery aisles chapter by chapter to learn what optimal foods to buy. Each recommendation is clearly defined and you are taught why you should choose certain products over the other. I do consider myself to be a savvy shopper when it comes to food and I still found products listed that I should "Steer Clear" of that I do consume.

I have now purchased three copies of this book. One to keep in car for quick reference while shopping, one to loan out and one at home for planning. An added bonus to the valuable information packed in the book are the coupons from many of the different recommended product companies! This is all available in the resource section of the Rich Food Poor Food website along with other extremely useful tools to help you hone your shopping skills.

In my opinion, Rich Food Poor Food should required reading for anyone that cares about what they eat. We spend so much of our hard earned money trying to eat the right food. This guide helps to ensure that one gets the most health benefit out of their food dollars. Educational, entertaining and chock full of rich information, you will not be disappointed and I would be shocked if you didn't devour its contents as I did.

Thank you Mira and Jayson for your tireless dedication in leading the Rich Food Revolution!
0Comment|97 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 11, 2013
This is my review from my website [...]. I was sent an advance copy from the Publisher.

There are 2 parts to Rich Food, Poor Food. Part I is the part you read page for page and is titled, "Know Before You Go". It is less than 40 pages long, is an easy read and gives its readers the necessary tools and background information on things to look for. One of my favorite examples came on page 8 describing the difference between Lay's Classic Potato Chips vs. Baked Lay's Original Crisps and which one is actually the better choice.

Next there's The Owner's Manual, which explains how to utilize Part II when in the grocery store, followed by Everyday Micronutrient Depleters (EMDs) describing how certain ingredients can deplete micronutrients and where they are found. I particularly found the section on GMOs, very insightful.

And the last chapter in Part I is "Villainous Variables", which not only list ingredients that are legal in the U.S., but banned in other countries, it also explains how the food industry tricks consumers with deceptive advertising with words such as healthy, made with, etc.

Part II is where the real meat and potatoes (pun intended) of the book is. Rather than Chapters, each section is called an Aisle, depicting how you may use this book to navigate through your own grocery store. I believe this section was designed to use more as a reference guide rather than a section that you sit down and read from front to back. Aisles consists of, Dairy, Meat, Fish & Seafood, Produce, Condiments, Grains, Baking, Snacks & Beverages. Each aisle gives explanations on what various terms mean and what to look for when buying various products. Each aisle has a section called "Steer Here" and "Steer Clear", which identifies brand name products that are good choices and those that are not. More importantly, these lists also gives explanations as to why they are on their respective lists therefore educating the reader to become better food detectives when at the grocery store.

Personally, I have been following a paleo diet now for over 2 years and I feel that I have my diet pretty dialed in when it comes to what I should and shouldn't eat, but even I learned quite a few things from this book. It's also served as a great reference guide for myself especially when buying meat as marketing terms mean different things depending on what type of meat you are buying. I also really learned a lot from the section on spices, an area that I can most definitely improve upon.

Finally, the thing I like most about Rich Food, Poor Food is that it is NOT a paleo book. This book applies to anyone following any type of diet in helping them determine if what they are eating is truly healthy or not. Sometimes the best way to preach the paleo lifestyle is to not mention the word paleo at all and this book does exactly that. If you have a friend or family member that will not even consider anything "paleo" and thinks they are eating healthy, this is just the right book to get them started. Buy them a copy when you are buying one for yourself!
This book goes aisle by aisle in a standard grocery store and teaches you how to read labels and choose the best foods, the least processed and those that don't contain objectionable ingredients. Considering the change to food in the US over the last decade or so, this is a really vital book that is worth reading.

The author suggests which meats, produce, milk products will be less likely to contain additives and GMO grown foods. In addition, there are suggestions for substitutions and instructions on making your own (like, yogurt, which is easily made and won't contain gelatin or corn syrup)

One thing was glaringly absent (at least, I missed seeing it in the book.) A lot of meat in your grocery store has been filled with water and msg and salt. This is the "enhanced" broth. If you check the package, you will see "up to 15% enhanced broth" on some packages of poultry and pork. That's paying for one ounce out of six as WATER, and sodium and msg-filled water, at that. This is more prevalent in big box store grocery sections because the broth acts to "enhance" the amount of time that meat can stay out for sale. AVOID it. I was surprised I didn't find this warning in the book but I might have missed it.

Considering that some sections of the country do not have access to locally raised foods and have basic grocery stores, this book can really help. The author contends that we are lacking micronutrients from overly processed or factory-farm raised foods. Whether or not this is true, I can tell you that our locally raised chickens (even though not organic) are far tastier and cook up better than the factory-processed chickens, and that's despite the fact we are in an area that raises chickens for several huge chicken companies (you know the names....) ALL our chicken is local, but the small independent farm chickens are so much better, I can hardly stand to buy anything else.

This book is a good guide for any family to buy the best food from the grocery store and avoid the bad stuff.
on February 12, 2013
One of the biggest concerns I always have on my website ([...]) is that people are so intimidated by everything healthy. They are scared to go to the grocery store because they do not know what to look for. Highly paid marketing executives and bully campaigns from huge companies have made it nearly impossible to decipher what you are actually buying and later eating. It's no shock to me that we have so many rampant health issues running through our country. Whether the label is gluten free, grain free, organic, free range, certified humane, animal welfare approved, global animal partnership, grass-fed, USDA process verified, food alliance, gmo free or any label I am missing, it is scary. Companies try to steer us to buy their product by making false or misleading claims. This is where Mira and Jayson step in.

They have both dedicated their life to pursuing health and teaching people about better choices. They want to take their knowledge and share it with you, making you an expert. They tirelessly and dilligently created this wonderful masterpiece of a book to be your GPS (Grocery purchasing system) and make your life and decisions simple and educated. Ever wonder what to buy that isn't in a package and labeled, i.e. - fruits or vegetables? Don't worry, they teach you what the PLU codes on foods mean. 4 digit codes starting with 3 or 4 are conventional and grown with chemicals and pesticides. Five-digit codes starting with 9 mean organic. Five-digit numbers starting with 8 mean GMO (franken foods). That sentence alone will save you hours of research and concern and make your trip more enjoyable. They also go one step further and tell you the Fab 14 items you can purchase safely no matter what the label, and the Terrible 20 which you should always choose organic.

Worried about not knowing how to read this book to help your shopping? Have no fear, they broke the book up into aisles instead of chapters. What does that mean? If you only need meats and dairy at the store, open those "aisles", take some notes and head to the store. Even better, they have note sections where you can write down what you want to buy and you can use your book as your in hand "GPS".

I could write all day about the amazing information all contained within this book, but my review would end up longer than the book itself. Just know that Mira and Jayson have created the end all be all to helping anyone shop in traditional trickery grocery stores. They created a weapon to keep you armed to defend your health and EVERYONE needs this book in hand at all times. I have been living a healthy lifestyle for over 5 years always researching food and what I need, and this book single handedly concentrated all that knowledge in one place teaching me things. I can't recommend this book enough, do yourself a favor and buy a copy for yourself, and 10 to hand out. You can help keep the wheels spinning on the global food revolution this book will cause.

Thank you Mira and Jayson for all your dedication and selflessness in the pursuit of education everyone and making lives better.
Dr. Jayson and Mira Calton did a huge service to the nutrition world when they put the focus off of macronutrients and on to micronutrients in their 2012 book Naked Calories. Now they're back in 2013 discussing the critical importance of how to go about choosing the best food quality on your healthy low-carb lifestyle. One of the biggest criticisms of people eating a low-carb diet that I've heard over the years is that being low-carb sacrifices choosing the best quality foods in favor of the simple process of cutting your carbohydrates.

That might have been true in the past, but not anymore. These days, I don't think that's the reality of what most of us low-carbers are actually doing (when I surveyed my blog readers in 2011, an overwhelming majority of them noted they buy "grass-fed" and "pastured" meats on their low-carb lifestyle). However, the challenge we face as carb-conscious consumers is in balancing our desire to control the amount of carbohydrates we consume with the need to obtain the most nutrition out of the foods we eat. That's where The Caltons help us with practical solutions for making that happen in their brand new book RICH FOOD POOR FOOD.

This dynamic health duo is back and better than ever with a super-exciting new book that serves as a virtual guide for how to go shopping without getting confused by all the slick marketing mumbo jumbo that is put out there by the big food companies. They offer up some great tips on finding the best quality foods in each of the major food categories to help you find the most affordable prices that will meet virtually any budget. Whether you are a seasoned and savvy healthy supermarket shopper or if you're brand new to all of this, let Dr. Jayson and Mira Calton help guide you like a GPS to the "rich" quality real whole foods and away from the "poor" crappy fake processed foods (and having "low-fat" plastered along the front of the packaging doesn't make it healthy!).

Here are a few of the key concepts you'll find in RICH FOOD POOR FOOD:

- We've been trained to look at macronutrients, but that's not enough
- We need to look for organic, grass-fed, pastured, etc.
- They wanted to provide a resource to help people find the good foods
- Convenience has led to big business in the food industry
- Some really bad science on low-fat corrupted the food system
- "We've literally boxed ourselves into a corner" with packaged foods
- Food scientists are at the heart of this conversation
- Research has found the consumers like "brightly-colored" food
- Our eyes tell our brain that these foods are good to eat
- Smell and taste is manipulated to make you eat more and more
- Over time, food science has advanced to create Frankenfood
- The public has gotten to the point they don't know real food
- Real food doesn't necessarily come in a box (but it can)
- There are a few great companies that are "doing it right"
- There are lots of tips to lower the costs of real food
- Maybe you can split up a half cow from a farmer with a group
- Build a relationship with your local farmer/farmer's market
- Nobody is putting out coupons for the real food
- The manufacturers in their book are giving coupons
- The Rich Food Resource Center on their web site
- Yes, eat a ketogenic diet but get the best nutrition you can
- You don't have to jump in with both feet going all out
- It's time to really take a serious look at doing this slowly
- Start with one aisle or food product at a time and do that one
- Stick with it and don't go backwards-just start slowly
- The difference between CAFO beef and grass-fed is profound
- Grass-fed meats have a much higher micronutrient content
- If you're not eating grass-fed, the cows are eating GMO foods
- There are a lot of good manufacturers breaking into mainstream
- They're showing up in Wal-mart, Costco around $4/pound
- How do you choose between cheap CAFO beef vs. SAD diet?
- If grass-fed beef is too expensive, how about choosing tuna?
- You will pay later for these toxic foods if you consume them
- Eggs are a great way to get high-quality food into your diet
- People try to rationalize, but this is too important to justify
- There will be times and places when you are "stuck"
- They dedicated their book to the people supplying quality food
- We make the community strong and healthy when we support them
- Low-carb, high-fat gives you "amazing" benefits in and of itself
- That's gonna happen no matter what the food quality is
- But there's a very real danger of eating "poor food" over time
- There can be toxic overload from these inferior food choices
- It's a 50/50 value of low-carb, high-fat and food quality
- People who switch from SAD to food quality will see benefit
- For a lot of people, it's the boxed foods that are crappy
- The price you pay for these is "basically a pound of meat"
- When you take these other things out of cart, you can afford
- They've chemically changed the foods to make you hungrier
- It's amazing how many poor ingredients are in these products
- During your "cheat times" you need to be aware of food quality
- 20 years ago, the food supply wasn't as bad as it is today
- GMOs and pesticides are "exponentially greater" than ever before
- Low-carb, high-fat diet is the "foundation" of your eating plan
- Let's start to work on food quality now that diet is dialed in
- You have to pay attention to what the "natural flavors" are
- Vanilla flavoring is actually from a beaver (SAY WHAT?!)
- If something is a brightly-colored liquid, it's not good
- Sucralose is "the best of the sinister sugar substitutes"
- Stevia is much more recommended over artificial sweeteners
- "Natural" should be like a plant, not like a beaver!
- "All-natural" is a horrendous marketing term
- It's more popular than even the word "organic"
- The phrase "made with" also means "made without"
- "Healthy" is generally defined as something low in fat
- People succumb to the allure of marketing labels
- If it has a label then it may not be good (but maybe it will)
- They had "very strict guidelines" for determining good food
- Their entire book is both sugar-free and wheat-free
- Mayonnaise is almost impossible not to find soybean oil
- "Somebody is doing it right" in virtually every category
- Why this is not like the Eat This, Not That! type books
- Fat, salt and calories are not taken into consideration
- GPS from their book helps people navigate through stores
- Low-carbers love cheese and there are great ones out there
- You don't have to go for brand name-go to fancy cheese store
- If it's from a foreign country, the quality tends to be better
- When cheese becomes shredded, there's potato starch added
- Buy block and then shred it yourself to avoid mold inhibitors
- Clear plastic bags will "rob micronutrients" from the cheese
- Velveeta is NOT REAL CHEESE (they don't try to hide it)
- Cheese in a can isn't real cheese either (STEER CLEAR!)
- It's not the brands we dislike, but the ingredients in them
- Kraft has horrific food ingredients in their cheese products
- Hydrolyzed anything can be translated to MSG
- They use a variety of different names for same ingredients
- Soybean oil replaced with canola oil is not any better
- Dressings are "a really, really hard thing to find"
- Giving "power back to the people" to get the good foods
- They have a Rich Food request list in their book
- You'll hand this list to your local store manager
- If you don't buy it, then they will not carry it
- These real food providers need US to "demand these products"
- If we let the grocery stores determine products, $$$ rules
- You have to be persistent about the foods you want
- Greek yogurt that isn't low-fat or no fat is hard to find
- You can always add in your own fat to a low-fat Greek yogurt
- Canadian products are going to be very similar to US foods
- They have similar policies regarding GMO as United States
- Canola oil is actually "Canada oil" from rapeseed
- There are 13 products banned in other countries, not in USA
- The Rich Food Resource Center has tote bags for FREE
- They have tips on the bag, get coupons and request lists
- There are wallet-size of Fab 14 and Terrible 20 foods
- There are some foods that you don't have to buy organic
- Terrible 20 are foods we usually give our kids
- It's the "pesticide residue" which is you want to buy organic
- Yellow squash and zucchini almost always genetically modified
- Potatoes are on the Terrible 20 but sweet potatoes are Fab 14
- The have videos of how to make quality foods at home
- When we were growing up, sugar was sugar...but not anymore
- Sugar beets is where we get most sugar and 95% is GMO
- It takes 5 minutes to make your own mayonnaise at home
- One of the popular recipes in the Paleo/low-carb is bacon mayo
- The non-low-carb people who will devour their good sauces
- The wheat-free movement is supporting the low-carb lifestyle
- Paleo and primal are "our brothers in the low-carb room"
- Science is really backing up the low-carb lifestyle
- Dr. William Davis of Wheat Belly fame wrote the foreword to their new book
- Mark Sisson behind The Primal Blueprint penned the introduction to Rich Food Poor Food
0Comment|124 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 4, 2013
I bought this book for one reason: To teach my kids how to feed themselves. My daughters are 16 and 9 and they've heard me preach "healthy" this and "unhealthy" that for years, but they have friends and classmates and camp directors and well-meaning relatives who believe "there's no harm in letting kids eat kid food."

After reading the reviews, I decided it would be the right tool to help my kids decide for themselves. On day one, my oldest flipped through to see if the brands we buy are okay. On day two, my youngest was quizzing her big sister on grass-fed butter. By day three they were fighting over whose turn it was to read it at breakfast. Believe it or not, this is just what I'd hoped for. They've taken it upon themselves to see who can figure out the "right" thing to buy when we shop.

The book is simple enough to pick up and put down, or flip from section to section and spot-check a food choice. When they stay with Grandma they'll need to know which brand of yogurt to pick out at the grocery store (and why). One day they'll be standing in the grocery store deciding which vegetables they can afford to skip buying organic while their friends are stocking up on ramen noodles. These are the important life skills even my adult friends can't figure out yet. (I'm looking at you, Fat Free Cream Cheese!)

I especially appreciate the depth of information the authors cover. You can't just walk into Whole Foods or the local co-op and assume that it must be healthy if the store sells it. Just because it says "Free Range" or "Organic" doesn't mean you're buying a healthy food.

The formatting is easy to follow. The lists are specific, both in the What AND in the Why. I could never get my family to read all the blogs and articles and research out there, but this book has compiled the information into a fantastic family resource!
on February 13, 2013
I have to admit that I was pretty blown away when I read through Rich Food, Poor Food by Jayson & Mira Calton. As a nutrition & health professional, I read a LOT of books on the topic of diet and nutrition. In the past 5 years, there has definitely been an explosion of great books to hit the shelves touting the value of real, natural foods in our diet. The field of natural health and wellness is growing exponentially, mostly in part due to the great materials being put out there by a number of researchers and practitioners.

Where I feel this book stands apart is the practicality. It's literally a book you can take with you to the grocery store, or wherever you shop, taking the guesswork out of which foods to buy! This is where most people get confused, frustrated, and discouraged. There are tens of thousands of "food" products in our modern grocery stores. Which are the best? Which are the worst? To answer these questions on the scale that the Caltons have done here is incredibly tedious and time-consuming work.

Their passion for nutrition, health, and helping people feel their best was evident when I read their first book, Naked Calories. In my opinion, Rich Food, Poor Food has taken this to an entirely different level! I feel this book is an ABSOLUTE MUST for anyone looking to optimize their diet, and their health! If you want to eliminate all confusion about which brands, products, and foods are the best for your body, and which are better off being left on the shelf... look no further than this easy-to-follow and practical guide!!

-Michael Roesslein, MS, CHEK, FDN
Founder, Natural Evolution Holistic Health & Fitness
on November 17, 2014
There are some info you can add to your dictionary, but remember, no book, no article, no individual is needed to learn about nutrients in any item except reading the INGREDIENTS and NUTRITION FACTS. It require no money except wanting the best for yourself in health and happiness, physically and mentally.

Additives for US consumers but not other countries...

1. Artificially colored food made with dyes derived from petroleum and coal tar. Yellow 5, Red 40 and six others dyes - used to enhance products from Froot Loops to Nutri-Grain cereal bars - are called the "rainbow of risk" by the Center for Science in the Public Interest. They are banned in Norway, Finland, France, Austria and the U.K.
2. Chicken with arsenic. Arsenic in chicken feed cuts down on parasites, makes chickens grow faster and gives their meat more color. It also gives the chicken we eat higher levels of arsenic, known to cause lung, bladder and skin cancers, a study last month by the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health in Baltimore found. Arsenic-laced feed is banned in the European Union.
3. Drinks with brominated vegetable oil (BVO). Bromine is a chemical used to keep carpets from catching fire, among other things, so why is it in our food? PepsiCo is removing it from Gatorade but keeping it in Mountain Dew. BVO is banned in more than 100 countries.
4. Breads with potassium bromate, used in bromated flour to make bread products rise higher and faster. Found in rolls, bagel chips, bread crumbs and flatbreads, potassium bromate has been linked to thyroid and kidney cancers in lab animals. It has been banned in Europe, Canada and China. California declared it a carcinogen in 1991.
5. Frozen dinners with azodicarbonamide. This is used to bleach and stabilize flour and also to make foamed plastic products like yoga mats and sneakers. Found in frozen TV dinners, packaged baked goods and some bread5. Frozen dinners with azodicarbonamide. This is used to bleach and stabilize flour and also to make foamed plastic products like yoga mats and sneakers. Found in frozen TV dinners, packaged baked goods and some breads, it has been associated with inducing asthma. It is banned in Australia, the U.K. and most European countries.
6. Food preserved with BHA and BHT. These preservatives are added to cereal, nut mixes, gum, butter, meat and dehydrated potatoes to keep them from turning rancid. The debate over their safety has been going on in the U.S. for years. Meanwhile, they're banned in the U.K., Japan and many European countries.
7. Milk with rBGH and rBST, also known as bovine growth hormones. Synthetic hormones, these are given to cows and therefore found in milk and other dairy products (unless the label specifically says otherwise). They have been linked to cancer and infertility and are banned in Australia, New Zealand, Canada, Japan and the European Union.
8. Chips with Olestra or Olean, a fat substitute used in fat-free chips, like Ruffles Wow. Olestra and Olean can produce cramps and leaky bowels and are banned in the U.K. and Canada.

More additives for US consumers...

1. Nitrites and nitrates are added to processed meat to give it a longer shelf life and an attractive pink color. Sausages, hotdogs and bacon may be yummy, but these chemicals have been linked to stomach cancer, with possible links to other types of cancers.
2. Potassium bromide is another substance linked to cancer as well as kidney and DNA damage. It's banned in the UK and Canada but in the U.S. it's found in flour that's used in baking bread and crackers to strengthen the dough and help it rise.
3. Propyl Paraben is an endocrine disruptor, which can encourage the growth of breast cancer cells. It's used as a preservative in tortillas, muffins and food dyes and can contaminate other types of foods prepared or packaged in close proximity.
4. Butylated hydroxyanisole (BHA) and butylated hydroxytoluene (BHT) sound unappealing--their names alone are a turnoff. The fact that they cause tumors in animals is a bigger one. They're also an endocrine disruptors, and they're found, often together, in many foods, including potato chips and preserved meats.
6. Diacetyl is found in that "butter-flavored" ... stuff ... they put on popcorn in movie theaters. You've probably guessed it's not exactly a health food. But did you know it's associated with several clusters of respiratory diseases? And that it's found in yogurt and cheese and products with maple and butterscotch flavoring as well?
7. Phosphates are one of the most common food additives, used in thousands of products to leaven baked goods, reduce acid and make processed meats tender. Highly processed foods and fast foods tend to be loaded with them. They've been linked to heart disease--and why were you eating that fast food anyway?
8. Aluminum is everywhere, but a surfeit of the metal, used as a stabilizer in many foods, has been linked to neurological disorders starting in the womb and possibly even extending to end of life as a contributor to Alzheimer's disease. It's probably best to avoid getting too much of it as a food additive.
9. Artificial colors aren't always identified, but certain types must be. Synthetic colors called FD&C colors (Food, Drug and Cosmetics) must be listed by type. Studies on whether they cause hyperactivity in children have been mixed.
10. "Flavor" is a mysterious ingredient found on many food labels. Whether "natural flavor" or "artificial flavor," there's no way of knowing what chemicals go into making up this particular substance. The term "natural" is meaningless, because the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) hasn't defined it.
on July 18, 2013
As a health care professional, I thought the book was interesting. But, I kept looking for the research, nothing footnoted. No articles, with the names really sited. This is as troublesome as the information they present. BTW, when you go to a dairy, as with the inspectors or the milk producers, bacteria count is still important. What lay person knows what is good or not, with the bacteria count. Some of this is basically flawed in their approach, the other things are good to know. But not having quoted research makes me skeptical. From one interview all this data is in their first book, which would have made it very easy to pull in to this second book. In this world of research best practices, wish they would have been more evidence based, not fear based.