5.0 out of 5 stars One of the All-Time GREAT TV Miniseries
I met Peter Strauss for the first time after a staged reading at the Westport Playhouse, in which he, along with several other wonderful actors, gave a superb reading of a new play. Speaking to him, briefly, afterwards, I mentioned the absence of "Rich Man" on DVD - and he agreed. He told me he is asked this a lot and does not understand why a terrific DVD edition of...
Published on January 25, 2007 by Matthew J. Gallagher

3.0 out of 5 stars Rich Man, Poor Man DVD Review
Although it involves none of the same characters, you could call Irwin Shaw's Rich Man, Poor Man a sequel of sorts to his masterpiece The Young Lions, as he again undertakes an epic story crossing continents and decades, the tale of the two Jordache brothers, and occasionally their sister as they traverse the panorama of turbulent times. The story picks up where The Young...
Published on September 13, 2010 by Clemens

‹ Previous | 1 2 325 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Most gripping story, September 5, 2013
This review is from: Rich Man, Poor Man: The Complete Collection (DVD)
This mini serial of 9 discs lasting over 27 hours shook me to the core. It was impossible to switch it off and I saw them all within 5 days. I got so totally involved and gripped as the story unfolds over 3 generations and still can't get it out of my mind. No words can justify Peter Strauss' emotional rendition of his role without over playing it in any way. I have since re-played the last disc many times as the ending is quite shattering.
'Rich Man, Poor Man' ranks amongst my most treasured collection. It is pure gold and highly recommended.
Deepak Singh

5.0 out of 5 stars No Special Features?? Who's to blame?? A&E or NBC Universal???, March 8, 2011
This review is from: Rich Man, Poor Man: The Complete Collection (DVD)
This review is for the Rich Man, Poor Man DVD Collection released in late 2010. I received my set on March 8th, 2011 and knowing that I had my favorite miniseries of ALL time (sorry Roots, Thorn Birds and Salem's Lot) in my hands made me so very happy. And while I love how wonderful it all looks and sounds, and even grateful that they included Rich Man, Poor Man Book II, I wished that Peter Strauss could have been given more time than just one hour of commentary on the premiere episode. Listening to Mr. Strauss was so refreshing and insightful. The man personifies class and the fact that he is a cut above as an actor. His account on his scene with Ed Asner and the "sins of the father" nearly brought me to tears. That being said, why on earth did they only give this great thespian such little amount of time??? Who is to blame for that?? A&E or NBC Universal??? As Mr. Strauss himself stated, RMPM may not have been the first "miniseries" on television but for me at age 43, it definitely was. To see what they could have done with "behind the scenes" documentaries and interviews, it pains me that they were so cheap in that aspect. At least they could have had him complete the entire two hours of the first episode. I wish they could have had commentaries in the following manner: Disc 1 & 2 (Strauss & Susan Blakley), Disc 3 (Nick Nolte), Disc 4 & 5 (Strauss & Susan Sullivan) Disc 6 & 7 (Gregg Henry & Kay Lenz) Disc 8 & 9 (Strauss & William Smith!!!..C'mon you'd have to have Falconetti). In closing, Rich Man, Poor Man will always be an amazing television landmark, I just wish that they ones responsible for putting it out on DVD would have been a little more creative.

3.0 out of 5 stars No other choice, December 28, 2010
Maria (Walnut Creek, CA, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rich Man, Poor Man: The Complete Collection (DVD)
There is no other choice except this one if you want to watch the miniseries. Got it as a gift for my parents and they loved it. I am now watching it and it is as good as I remember. It would have been nice if they had improved the picture and sound quality - both are bad. I would think that must be possible with today's technology.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rich Man Poor Man on DVD, worth the wait!, September 28, 2010
This review is from: Rich Man, Poor Man: The Complete Collection (DVD)
Finally after all this time, RMPM and Book 2 is released in the U.S. format. I'll never understand why it took them 34 years! But, at least it did get released. RMPM to me is the best series that's ever been produced! Chapter One is a treat. It has an interview with Peter Strauss! Also, the series left in the scenes that were cut for time when it originally aired on TV. There aren't many of them. But it's great to see them. The quality is great. The packaging is superb as well.

I have the region 2 sets. But it's great to have them in Region 1 that will play on all US players. I guess there's talk of putting it out on Blu Ray. However, I don't think it'll increase the quality as RMPM was taped 34 years ago. But, if they add extra documentaries it would be worth having it too. RMPM made stars of Peter Strauss and Nick Nolte. The ratings during that time were through the roof. To this day, this series is loved by so many of us! A part of our histories I would say. You can't go wrong at the price either. Retailing for eighty dollars it's still a bargain. But Amazon lowered it to 50, then for a short time to 36. It's worth it!

Don't let this pass you by! Thanks to A&E Video for releasing this. And a big thanks to Amazon for the incredible prices they offer. This is a must have for any RMPM fan!

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad for an old mini-series, August 26, 2013
Carol Burdick (San Dimas, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rich Man, Poor Man: The Complete Collection (DVD)
This dvd set was a nice purchase, since it is both Book 1 & Book 2. The audio is clear, the video doesn't appear to have been remastered, but it is clear enough to watch and enjoy. I haven't seen any better offerings of this set, and watching it has brought back a lot of memories of that era. I was in High School when this originally aired, so the series shows it's age, but it is still interesting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great mini series, December 28, 2012
C. Ordway (Douglas, Mass. USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rich Man, Poor Man: The Complete Collection (DVD)
Loved this mini series in the 70's and love it now. Only half way through and it still keeps me captured and excited to get to the next CD. Very well done.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, Great, Great, May 24, 2012
This review is from: Rich Man, Poor Man: The Complete Collection (DVD)
I have been waiting 40 yrs to see this again, and its even better then I remembered. Its amazing how much the issues going on back then (politics) are exactly the same as today. How money & power wins elections. The romance & intrigue really kept your attention and leaving something to the imagination made it so much more enjoyable unlike today's movies with full blown nudity. I fell in love with Nick Nolte all over again, but wish he had lasted longer thru out the series. Theres a stellar cast of so many good actors that I hadn't thought about in years. Thorougly enjoyable, and certaintly well worth the price.

4.0 out of 5 stars Rich Man, Poor Man Series on DVD, December 26, 2010
This review is from: Rich Man, Poor Man: The Complete Collection (DVD)
We enjoyed this series when it was on TV years ago. About 5 years ago I started looking for it on DVD in order to see it again but it was not available on DVD. The only VHS copies I could find were very high priced. Now suddenly we saw it for sale in a magazine for about $95. I searched on Amazon and sure enough we found it for a much better price!

This series is the "coming out" performace of Nick Nolte and although he is not in it through the entire story, he is worth seeing in one of his first performances ever.

The series was the FIRST mini-series of TV and it is typical of the series that followed, i.e., DALLAS, that used similar story/music/artwork style for the format of the series.

Worth owning!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally available!, December 18, 2010
This review is from: Rich Man, Poor Man: The Complete Collection (DVD)
I have been trying to get a copy of this for a long time and recently found out it had become available. I ordered on for my wife and I and one for my mother. This was on TV when I was about 15, and for years have been looking for it on DVD to be able to see it again. It is amazing to find out how much I had forgotten in 35 years. Not perfect quality but it is more than acceptable. If you remember this wonderful mini-series and have wanted to see it again after a very long time, your problem is solved. My wife was too young to see it when it was on originally and after almost having to force her to watch the first episode, she is now hooked. We just started Book II.

5.0 out of 5 stars 34 years later, is it still good?, June 13, 2010
This review is from: Rich Man, Poor Man: The Complete Collection (DVD)
In short, yes. Keep in mind this was filmed in the 1970's with a made-for-TV budget. So don't expect Avatar technical quality. Incidentally, my copy plays fine on my DVD player. I shopped around and got the 2 series for $49 total. However, this does not include the packaging/cases, nor the commentary. Just paper sleeves and 12 discs. At the time Amazon wanted $79, but now the price is more reasonable. When this show, the first TV miniseries, came out, everyone stayed home to watch it every week. I wondered how I would enjoy it after 34 years of other TV miniseries and movies. I still found it quite a unique experience. Firstly, it won 20 Emmies. Seasoned veteran actors like Van Johnson, Ray Milland and Dorothy MacGuire lend gravitas and class to the show. Ed Asner and Bill Bixby (who also directed several episodes) give outstanding support and Bill Smith plays one of the most memorable, evil villains ever filmed. Many rising stars were launched by this show, not least Peter Strauss and Nick Nolte, both brilliant as the Rich Man Poor Man brothers (you decide which is which). Nick Nolte apparently trimmed down to 160 lbs for the teenage sections, and beefed up to 180 lbs for the middle-aged parts. The writing is impressive, covering many important periods between 1945 and 1960's, and encompassing topics such as racism, materialism, family strife, sports, politics, corruption and core values. Not quite the same story as the book, but skillfully written by Dean Reisner, who co-wrote Dirty Harry and Play Misty For Me a few years before. Never pretentious, the series is quite courageous - especially the ending which pulls no punches. Ultimately, we can all relate to some of the events and people that the 2 brothers encounter. It's like they are part of your family, so you feel all their losses and triumphs deeply. Alex North does a great orchestral score, which will be familiar to those that watched the show 34 years ago. The first 2 and the last episode are 2 hours long, with the other 4 being one hour - 12 hours total. I can't wait to watch the second series, which I remember as almost as good as the first. Will update this when I've watched it. After the huge success of the first series, Nick Nolte was asked to be in the second series. However, he declined because he felt it would require changes in the character and story that would not be true to the series. That's how much the cast believed in what they were doing, and it shows. Highly recommended.

‹ Previous | 1 2 325 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xd9285864)

Rich Man, Poor Man: The Complete Collection
Rich Man, Poor Man: The Complete Collection by David Greene (DVD - 2010)
$39.98 $26.89