5.0 out of 5 stars Great NLP/Hypnosis book
Published on October 9, 2008 by Richard Nongard

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed
I have read little on hypnosis and was not aware of Bandler or NLP before reading this book. Therefore, I write this review as a contrast to the majority of reviews posted on Amazon which display a greater level of sophistication than I brought to the book; thereby providing a point of view for those coming to the book with a more elementary background.

Bandler...
Published on January 30, 2009 by LUS

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed, January 30, 2009
LUS (Pennsylvania, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Richard Bandler's Guide to Trance-formation: How to Harness the Power of Hypnosis to Ignite Effortless and Lasting Change (Paperback)

Bandler promotes some interesting ideas. One is his continual insistence that psychological change need not be traumatic nor take years to accomplish, as is often espoused and practiced by mental health professionals. Also interesting was his idea that people report their psychological states more literally than we generally imagine (for example, someone should be taken at their word whenever they say they feel "heavy" or "things look dark," etc.) and his treatment of psychological distress under such a premise.

As a novice in this field, however, his suggestions on what to do while in a trance were not altogether helpful, because his explanations upon how to achieve self-hypnosis in the first place were cursory and incomplete (for the beginner at least).

Additionally, perhaps 50 pp. of self-promotion and product-placement could have been cut from the book.

For the true believer in NLP, I'm sure this is a great book.
For someone familiar with the literature on hypnosis, but not necessarily an advocate of Bandler, I couldn't say.
For the absolute beginner, I could only say that it will introduce you to some terms and concepts that may be new and helpful.

So, my review is mixed. Buy it used.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great NLP/Hypnosis book, October 9, 2008
This review is based on the book, and I believe you will find it quite helpful. I ordered it the day it came out, using my Amazon prime membership and had it overnighted. It kept me up all night. First I will cover the positive elements of this book: For those who are experienced at NLP or hypnosis, you will find it a refreshing and comprehensive review, with a few updates on processes and approaches from Bandler. For example he describes how he uses the meta-model now in an opposite manor to what he wrote in "The Structure of Magic I". For those who are teachers you will find the self-help exercises given at the end of each chapter familiar from your own NLP training, and useful new light is shed on them, with a few new ideas. The scripts, back matter, glossary and other resource files in the back make this an essential book for quick reference and study.
For those who are new to hypnosis or NLP, you will find the examples concrete, clear and well written. This is a comprehensive book covering many complex ideas, but with a highlighter and a pen you will be able to learn skills and begin applying them immediately. The lessons are categorized well, and to me it seems like an excellent introductory text, and I will begin recommending it to all my students at an introductory or intermediate level. You will understand hypnosis and NLP if you really take the time to study this book.
I also think that for those considering this book as a "self-help" book, you will find it helpful. All of the material can easily be internalized and practiced as self-transformation and help you to do what the subtitle actually promises.
Now the downside (although there really aren't too many). First, the book is a basic NLP book and those who have a lot of experience and don't enjoy the review and reframes of prior knowledge may find it less than challenging, or covers a lot of material that has already been covered. For me though, I enjoyed the review, update and exercises as suggested after 35 years of Bandlers teaching experience has helped these to evolve. Second, Bandler makes more than a few statements that cause me to ask, "Where is the footnote?" And third, the irreverent style of Bandler can be a distraction at times, with a lot of hyperbole and opinion. However, I actually enjoyed this, even when I disagreed. An example of this was his attempt to reframe NLP by stating the following: "NLP may be thought of as the underlying structure of hypnosis".
I wish I could give it four and a half stars, but I can't so I will go ahead and give it five stars, and am glad I bought the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stealing a skill, November 18, 2008
I have to admit I am very impressed with Richard Bandler's latest books, both of which are totally different.

This book is clearly geared at people who already have experience with trance or are hypnotists, and is more detailed. If you're like me, you will find the book to be very free flowing, and an easier read than his earliest works. As you might expect, his trance work has become even more and more refined, there is a grace and fluidity about what he does.

This is apparent in the client session trance scripts included at the back. The embedded commands are italicised. If you don't already know much about Milton Model and Meta Model patterns, you will find resource files at the end, which will enable you to get up to speed very quickly.

My favorite line from the book is: 'So you only torture youself in your spare time?' spoken with typical irreverence.

I particularly like the stealing from a genius exercise. Its similar to something I already do.

Another one, you may find interesting is The Magic of False Memories.

One particular item I saw him do on a clip from Paul McKenna's tv show.
He was demonstrating -spinning feelings. That process is described in - Get the Life you want.

If you're unsure about which book to get, they are both excellent, and highly recommended.

I hope you found this review helpful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Richard Bandler's Guide to Trance-formations, December 2, 2008
Richard Bandler's Guide to Trance-formations provides not only a complete over view of the process of hypnosis, but also comprehensive coverage of its numerous applications. The bookGuide to Trance-formations helps clarify the relationship between NLP and hypnosis. Richard Bandler, who has often been called the world's greatest hypnotist, believes that trance is the foundational human experience, in which we move from trance to trance depending on what we believe, think, and do. For this reason, learning to take control and choose the most appropriate trance at any given time is a critical life skill.

Bandler's approach to hypnosis is quick and natural. He rightly says that standard approaches, such as those saying "you are getting sleepy, sleepy, sleepy" in a monotone or having the subject descend a staircase going "deeper" with each step are slow and often ineffective. Everyone, he points out, is capable of going into a trance and that hypnotists simply need sufficient flexibility to adapt their approach to individual clients.

The book does an admirable job of clarifying the kinds of trances that often result in problems for people and provides numerous examples of hypnotic language patterns that will help them learn to alter their state for the better. The book also includes excellent coverage of using metaphors to stack realities and for creating nested loops to effect positive change.

The book also provides annotated transcripts (trance-scripts) of Bandler at work, detailing language patterns and the process of trance work.

This is a must read book for those interested in hypnosis and NLP. The same can be said for Bandler's other recent books (reviewed below). The overarching theme of the three books is enhancing individual, personal freedom through increased awareness. By using your conscious mind to program your unconscious in the most appropriate ways, you expand freedom not only for yourself, but also for others in your life. It is a great way to make a positive contribution to life on earth (and beyond).

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything I was looking for., November 9, 2008
I have read a lot of material on hypnosis and self-improvement but none as good as this. This book reads quickly and easily. The exercises are excellent and effective. I am making progress toward my goals already and I haven't even finished the book! Try it. It's great!

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Amazing, December 16, 2008
This goes down as one of the best writtern books I've read on anything. Expecially NLP and Hyponosis. Everything is very clear and easy to understand. This book, to me, is the equivalent to an NLP training. I have a lot of NLP and Hynosis material but nothing comes close to the content in this book. This filled in every single hole and question I had.

After reading this you will know exactly what to do to create the changes and have a foundation for doing so allowing you to be creative because Richard teaches how all of this works and how he developed it.

Richard Bandler really is the real deal because I've gotten more out of this book than the several NLP and hypnosis training I've taken. I keep this book on my desk in from of me all the time, because I use it as reference as well. It really has everything you need to get started or freshen up your skills.

Highly recommened!, I rarely right reviews but this is worth it. if your're reading this, don't short change yourself by not atleast giving it a try. The book cuts through all the othe NLP junk that fluds the market. The book alone can make you a lot more effective than someone who goes to some random NLP seminar and certification training by some guy that not in the Richard Bandler camp...and that's one of the reason he's says he created this. It's for those who haven't had the chance to train with Richard but want to learn from him as if they did. Here you go....

3.0 out of 5 stars Fairly decent, November 20, 2008
Generally this is a good book. It is easy to read and it contains most things you need to know about inducing hypnosis.

There are certain chapters, such as language patterns, which are written well. If you practise the exercises then you should become a reasonable hypnotist.

There are irritating points: Bandler continues to tell us about when he wrote books such as "Tranceformations". I have had this book for over ten years and it was (and still is) co written by John Grinder.

It is hard to take the author seriously when he never ever admits when things do not go right. This style of story telling had produced so many "NLPers" who have lost all grip on reality and convince themselves that a technique is working when it is clearly not.

Thankfully the editor has done a good job of separating the garbage from the good stuff and this book does contain 4 transcripts (annoyingly called "trance - Scripts" in that NLP way) of sessions where you can analyse the language patterns used.

There is lots of repetition in the book - if you have read his other stuff or ever gone to a seminar. I can't remember how many times I've heard about the guy who imagines people coming out of the TV show he's watching and bothering him. Richard tells him to watch the Playboy Channel.

In truth this is a re-hash of "Tranceformations" which is now out of print. (That book had a bit on self-hypnosis which is sadly lacking from this newer book).

Have a go - it's worth ten bucks at least.

2.0 out of 5 stars Good info for hypnotising others, January 2, 2009
This book is really good if you want to hypnotise others.It is terrible for self hypnosis.In the part getting to hypnosis Bandler says to find a hypnotherapist,not something I expected from him.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Most Overt Bandler In Print, December 28, 2008
If you've ever found yourself wishing that Bandler would share a little more material for your conscious mind, it's here. Bandler, for perhaps the first time in print, explains many of the things he kept to himself about how he does certain things, and the thinking behind it. A nice and necessary addition to your NLP library.

4.0 out of 5 stars Classic Bandler, December 6, 2012
Steward "T.L.P." (Colorado, United States of America) - See all my reviews
It’s reasonable to say Richard Bandler is the founder of Neuro-Linguistic Programming (NLP); respectively, we did not give this book five stars because Richard most of the content of this book is already available in Richard’s other books on the topic. Nonetheless, though this book was written at a level an NLP novice can benefit from, it does contain a little material from which an NLP pro can also benefit. Our expectation is that this book is best used by a beginner or novice that wants to get a basic understanding about how their own mind works to process information and return results.