5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for any Seder with Children

3.0 out of 5 stars Not very educational
Published on April 20, 2012 by J. Arrighi

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for any Seder with Children, April 13, 2008
This review is from: Richard Codor's Joyous Haggadah:A Children and Family Cartoon Haggadah for Passover Seder (Paperback)
When my kids were younger, I'd look every year for a Haggadah that we could use at our seders. I never found one that I liked very much--they were either too dry, too long, too abbreviated, etc. Richard Codor's Joyous Haggadah seems perfect to me. The drawings are cute, the story is appropriately abbreviated, and it's not dry. When my 13-year-old daughter and her friend saw the book on our kitchen table, they picked it up immediately, started oohing over the pictures, and then read the whole thing. I have to say that's a first for any Haggadah in this house.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book if you know the songs, May 4, 2009
My children,husband and I loved this haggadah. It was easy to read, the print was big and the pictures were wonderful. My husband is not jewish and he does not know the songs so it would have been nice to have a CD with it because we had to skip all the music in the book. I read music but there was no music written out only the words. Other than that the service with this haggadah was enjoyable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Haggadah, May 11, 2008
I wanted a fun haggadah for a very mixed family passover (ages and religious background) and this one was PERFECT. It had great pictures and some of the wording had been added to or changed to give everyone at the table a chuckle. It was especially entertaining for those of us who have sat through many years with one of the older standard haggadahs.

5.0 out of 5 stars As a store owner, I can say this book was needed, May 9, 2008
I bought 5 copies from the author just before Passover and had to order 15 more within 2 days. People were saying that they had been waiting for this book to come along. I will always carry it around Passover time and all I can say is I hope Richard Codor keeps writing books about Jewish holidays.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome book!, April 17, 2009
I loved this haggadah! I had a seder with 4 children and I bought this for them to enjoy, but as it turned out, the adults loved it even more than the kids! (All 4 kids are under 4 years old, so it was overly ambitious of me to think they could sit still for more than 5 minutes!). It's a very well-organized, well-written book with very amusing and colorful pictures! We had the best Passover seder this year, largely because of this book! We're planning on using it every year for years to come.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally, May 2, 2010
Over the past 44 years of having seders at my home and using many many different haggadot, I've found what seems to be the best as far as telling the story and keeping to tradition in a very enjoyable manner. This will appeal to young and old alike, those who have been to many seders and those who come for the very first time.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not very educational, April 20, 2012
J. Arrighi (Dumfries, VA United States) - See all my reviews
I have to say, it fell short of my expectations. I feel like it was written for people who have done Seder their whole lives, and are just tired. My kids, ages 23, 20, and 15 did not like it as well as others I have used. It doesn't even have a blessing for the candles! The story is hurried. It feels like the author tried to cover the absolute minimum for a seder, but to me, it feels like less than the minimum should be (and we are Reform - we don't ask for much!) A seder should be educational, but this haggadah is written for the wicked child in a hurry to get it over with, not the wise one who wants to learn all the details. You won't get any special insights here.

It is colorful, light-hearted, and easy to use for non-hebrew-speaking people, but I won't be using it again.

5.0 out of 5 stars A 48-page cartoon-style illustrated story of Passover, February 6, 2008
"Richard Codor's Joyous Haggadah" is a 48-page cartoon-style illustrated story of Passover and the Jewish celebration called Haggadah. Richard and Liora Codor created this thoroughly 'child friendly' explanation of the meaning of Haggadah, the games and celebratory elements associated with it, in order to inform and inspire children to join in. The text is organized in traditional order, with the prayers and customs being concise and written in English, transliterated in English, and in Hebrew. There are sing-along-songs, easy to make recipes that will fully engage young celebrants. From the blessing of the wine (Kadesh) and the washing of hands (U-Rechatz), to telling the story (Maggid) and bitter herbs (Maror), to the festive meal (Shulchan Orekh) and the hidden desert (Tzafun), and especially to praising God (Hallel), Featuring Jo Ellingson's graphic design, deftly edited by Zelda Shluker, and featuring Hebrew type by Rachel Fyman, "Richard Codor's Joyous Haggadah" is a welcome and enthusiastically recommended addition to family, elementary school, and community library reference collections for children about the annual Jewish celebration of Haggadah.

5.0 out of 5 stars Raise a Fifth Cup to the Joyous Haggadah, February 26, 2008
Hai Knafo (Brooklyn, N.Y.) - See all my reviews
This is not your standard Haggadah. This one tells the Passover story with wit and is illustrated with humorous drawings that are funny and detailed. You'll recognize your Uncle Hy and Aunt Esther among the depicted celebrants. Jewish history wasn't this funny since Mel Brooks "2000 Year Old Man." Check out the Hebrew man tapping his foot nervously while waiting for the bread to rise in the convection oven while most of his tribe is already on the go. And, the little boy who just before crossing the Red Sea, stops to relieve himself near a cactus bush. And then there are the three Patriarchs (who knows three?) dancing the hora, and the four Matriarchs (who knows four?) doing the "walk like an Egyptian" move. My personal favorite is the Marx Brothers as the Four Sons - Groucho as the wise child and Harpo as the simple child. So why is this night different from all other nights? With this Haggadah on hand this night can be serious fun!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for multi-general seder with young children, January 2, 2010
CF (Seattle, WA) - See all my reviews
I enjoy seders which not only tell the story of passover, but provide "food for thought" by raising important, current and timely issues. But then all my friends started having kids. How to engage the little ones without boring them (and creating cranky seder guests) while still telling the story in a way that will engage the adults and not feel like the abridged sunday school seder? This haggadah is the answer!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›