Richard Marx - Greatest Hits
Format: Audio CDChange
Price:$7.91 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on November 9, 1999
Format: Audio CD
There are very few greatest hits collections that really are full of "Hits". Most have one or two hit songs, then a collection of that artist's best unheard of tracks. This is not the case with "Greatest Hits" by Richard Marx. There are only two songs on this collection that did not make the Top 20 on any of the popular charts. Out of the 14 songs that did make the Top 20, Marx includes four #1's: "Hold On To The Nights", "Satisfied", "Now and Forever", and "Right Here Waiting". Most of the rest of the songs made it into the Top Ten at some point. The two songs that didn't chart, "Angel's Lullaby", and "Touch of Heaven", were two of Marx's latest songs just included to give listeners a feel for what he's up to lately. It really is a spectacular collection of music, with a wide range of musical sounds. It ranks up there with Billy Joel's, Madonna's, Elton John's, Bryan Adams' or Sting's greatest hits collections. Just one 'missing' hit song from Marx's musical resume:"Too Late To Say Goodbye" which was a Top Ten song from his album Repeat Offender.
on August 19, 2001
Format: Audio CD
It's summertime between my fifth and sixth grades...the year is 1988. I've just experienced my first dance outside of elementary school. It's the morning after, and I'm still in a daze from the magical slow dance that I'd just experienced last night with Tara, someone I had a huge crush on...that song was "Hold On To The Nights"...
Since then, I've come to know Richard Marx as a master of soft pop rock; with R&B aftershocks vibrating through his wonderfully pleasant voice. Personal favorites like "Should've Known Better" and "Endless Summer Nights" also dominated my favorite radio station at the time, but it was 1989's "Right Here Waiting" that solidly established Mr. Marx as a pop icon during the era of Paula Abdul, MC Hammer and the New Kids On The Block.
Words cannot express how much I appreciate and enjoy this album because it is so darn pleasant. Other standouts for me are "Angelia" (love this one), "Children Of The Night" (ditto), "Hazard" (lyrically haunting...), "Keep Coming Back" (deliciously bluesy - listen for Luther Vandross!), and "Now and Forever" (extremely sincere, perfect for a wedding).
"Satisfied" and "The Way She Loves Me" rock in a Bryan Adams-ish sort of way, and while these songs aren't personal favorites, they're still irresistable for the zestful vibrancy they communicate.
"Touch Of Heaven" is a pleasant surprise, and Richard's vocals are in top form here - fans of R&B music will definitely appreciate this one. Randy Jackson (yes, Michael's little brother) worked on this one.
...also check out the liner notes on this album; Mr. Marx shares a personal thought about every song. Upon reading this information, it becomes quite clear that Richard Marx is truly a wonderful human being. This is honestly one of the best CDs I have purchased in a long time - totally worth it - expecially for those who like pop, soft rock, or even R&B. Go get it...I mean it.
Thanks for reading,
C.H.R.
P.S. And for all the *NSync fans out there who enjoyed "This I Promise You", well, Richard Marx wrote that one too; and just so you know, *NSync co-lead singer J.C. Chasez used the song "Right Here Waiting" for his audition to the Mickey Mouse Club back in the early 90s...now, how's that for pop music trivia?
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 7, 2004
Format: Audio CD
Richard Marx was one of the most enduring singer/songwriters of the late 1980's and early 1990's. This 1997 "Greatest Hits" compilation truly lives up to its title as it includes nearly every big hit Marx had during his successful heyday.
Mellow rock classics such as "Endless Summer Nights", "Now and Forever", "Hazard", "Angelia" and Marx's signature ballad "Right Here Waiting" are included here alongside the more aggressive hits "Don't Mean Nothing", "Take This Heart", "Satisfied" and "Should've Known Better".
While it contains most of his hits, Richard Marx's "Greatest Hits" is missing a few tracks that were worthy of inclusion. Both 1994's "Nothing Left Behind Us" and 1991's hit ballad "Chains Around My Heart" are not on this compilation but their ommission was probably due to lack of space that can fit onto one disc. Regardless of these two missing tracks, this "Greatest Hits" compilation offers the cream of the crop of Richard Marx's most successful output along with some great songwriting and dynamic vocals.
This disc is truly a trip down memory lane and is a definite must for the die-hard Marx fan and for fans of the '80s, period. If you don't own this one yet, buy it. You'll be glad you did.
On a personal note, Richard Marx's songs were an influence on my own songwriting in the early '90s. So from me to Mr. Marx, thanks for the great music and for being a continued influence.
Format: Audio CDVerified Purchase
The only reason I purchased this CD in the first place was so I could have a copy of Hazard that I could learn the music from. It is a song that my band is going to be playing soon. I didn't expect to be so surprised by the quality of the other songs as well.
I've heard most of them on the radio over the years, I always knew who Richard Marx was but never paid much attention. His songs are very personal and full of rich imagery.
I threw the CD into my vehicle (that means it plays over and over for a while) and let it go. I found after a while that I was beginning to sing to the album, and not just the Hazard song. "Hold onto the night," and "Angelia" come to mind the most.
I never was much into pop/rock type music but this guys' personality rubbed off on me. I liked the liner notes where he discusses where he got the ideas and how to pull them off. He is a very candid person and I liked that. I believe it helped me to accept the music in a new light.
Thanks to Marx for putting out and having the material for a "great" Greatest Hits album. They are rare and most bands don't deserve them.
I recommend this CD to people that have heard his songs on the radio but never knew anything about the man. At any rate, the "Hazard" song is worth the purchase.
on May 12, 2005
Format: Audio CD
One of my favorite singers of all time. Richard Marx took the industry by storm with his debut smash "Don't Mean Nothing" in 1987 and would be a fixture on top of the billboard charts for years to come.

This CD has all of his biggest hits including the number 1's "Hold On To The Nights", "Satisfied" and "Right Here Waiting For You". The sound quality of the CD is amazing. Richard Marx is a real talent and a fantastic singer. No Richard Marx fan should be without this compilation. Don't think I can say anything else that hasn't been mentioned by other reviewers. 67 reviews and an overall 5 star rating. Guess that says it all!
on February 25, 2005
Format: Audio CD
In November of 1997, just seven months after releasing Flesh & Bone, Richard Marx released his sixth album entitled simply, GREATEST HITS. This album, which has turned out to be Richard's first greatest hits compilation, features all of Richard's hits from 1987 to early 1997, covering the albums: RICHARD MARX, REPEAT OFFENDER, RUSH STREET, PAID VACATION, & FLESH & BONE. This greatest hits album does more than live up to its name; it stands as one of Richard Marx's best albums ever.

DON'T MEAN NOTHING
From the album Richard Marx (1987). Definitely a great song and an cult classic. This is about the only song that my father likes from Richard Marx. My father has a lot to learn about Richard. Give me time, I'll have my father turn into a Richard Marx fan soon.

ENDLESS SUMMER NIGHTS
From the album Richard Marx (1987). This song, which was a #2 hit, is even better than Don't Mean Nothing. I can't help, but continue to play this song over and over again. It's amazing at how I play this song over and over, and my copy still hasn't worn itself out yet.

NOW AND FOREVER
From the album Paid Vacation (1994). Aside from Richard's vocals being incredible, the music was not to my liking and that is why I refuse to like this song.

SHOULD'VE KNOWN BETTER
From the album Richard Marx (1987). This is one hell of a song, and one of my absolute favorites. A classic Richard Marx song all the way.

ANGELIA
From the album Repeat Offender (1989). One of my favorite Richard Marx power ballads. Richard has even said that this was one of his favorites. I think what made this a favorite for Richard was that he came up with the idea after finding that the title was the name of a flight attendant, who served Richard some soda on a flight to Texas. How Richard comes up with these songs, I'll never know.

HOLD ON TO THE NIGHTS
From the album Richard Marx (1987). This was Richard's first #1 hit, and it was one of the first songs I had heard and liked from Richard Marx. Definitely an ultimate classing Richard Marx hit.

ANGEL'S LULLABY
New Song. The first single from the album. Richard had written this song for his three sons: Jesse, Brandon, & Lucas. This ballad is one hell of a heartfelt one and it most deserves the spot on this greatest hits compilation.

TAKE THIS HEART
From the album Rush Street (1991). I enjoy this song so much because it sounds like the material Richard had provided on his Repeat Offender album, which is my favorite Richard Marx album.

SATISFIED
From the album Repeat Offender (1989). Richard Marx's second #1 hit single. I really love this song. Basically because it just says that we shouldn't stop going for something until we are "Satisfied".

UNTIL I FIND YOU AGAIN
From the album Flesh & Bone (1997). A beautiful heartfelt ballad that sounds very much like the material featured on the first album. A song no fan should skip over. Richard has said that this is a song that he had written in case he and actress, Cynthia Rhodes ended in divorce.

HAZARD (THE RIVER)
From the album Rush Street (1991). Now, the Rush Street album is another favorite Richard Marx album of mine, because this song is from that album and this song is my favorite Richard Marx song. I had already heard the songs Right Here Waiting and Hold On To The Nights. I had liked those two songs, but I did not become a fan until I heard this song. This my absolute favorite Richard Marx song.

THE WAY SHE LOVES ME
From the album Paid Vacation (1994). Great song.

KEEP COMING BACK
From the album RUSH STREET (1991). Another one of my favorite ballads from Richard Marx. This is a song that everybody should favor.

CHILDREN OF THE NIGHT
From the album Repeat Offender (1989). My favorite song of the Repeat Offender album. This should have also been a #1 hit because it was inspired by many kids who have lived hard lives, such as being abused by parents, or seriously teased by cruel-hearted people.

TOUCH OF HEAVEN
From the album Flesh & Bone (1997). Not bad.

RIGHT HERE WAITING
From the album Repeat Offender (1989). This is another song that Richard had written for his wife, Cynthia Rhodes. He has stated that he had no intentions of releasing it, since it was a personal song for he and Cynthia. But was convinced by a close friend to release it. Richard had no idea the song would become a major hit. When I first heard this song, I was not crazy about it at all. But when I became a big fan of Richard Marx, I gave the song another chance, and the song really took effect on me. This is one hell of a song.

This greatest hits compilation is worthy of your money spending days. So, if you have the money, and must have the money, buy this album because it is outstandingly incredible.
on August 20, 2000
Format: Audio CD
Richard Marx is probably one of the most under-rated male artists out there. Sure he has had his major hits such as Right Here Waiting,Now and Forever,and Hold Onto the Nights(which are all on this CD.) But it's sad that you really don't hear much about him anymore. I would rate him up there with the greats like Billy Joel,Sting,and even Elton John. Marx is a great song-writer and can play the piano and guitar beautiful which are displayed on many of the tracks on this album. The out-standing tracks on here in my opinion are Hold onto the Nights,Don't Mean Nothing,and Right Here Waiting. Right Here Waiting is Marx's signture song which I'm sure everyone has heard one time or another. It is also probably the best ballad on the eighties. So,if you are a big music fan and enjoy soft-rock,you have not lived until you hear this. Definately not a waste of your money,so buy it and enjoy!
on July 6, 2000
Format: Audio CD
If you know me at all, (which most of you probably don't, but oh, well) you know that, in order for me to like a song, it has be well-written lyrically. Now, most people say, "What? Shouldn't a song be well-written musically?" Well, yeah, duh. That's what you expect from song. But for me, if it doesn't have meaningful words, what's the point? Luckily, Richard Marx delivers in both areas, which makes it no wonder that his songs are the hits they are. He's an amazing writer, and if you like soft rock in the least, you'll love this album.
VINE VOICEon March 28, 2004
Format: Audio CD
I knock pop music all the time. I'm not gonna appologize for that here. However, I can tell you that Richard Marx mixes his pop music with just enough rock to give it a flavor that distinguishes it from all that radio-friendly crap (although his music is not stranger to the top of the charts, either).
This was the first CD I purchased by Marx (I've since bought a couple others). It remains one of my favorite CD's I've listened to. Marx may have appeal to women (...) but this GUY is here to tell you that his music is for men, too; especially those who love good music.
Marx certainly knows how to write. Such rockers as "Don't Mean Nothing," "Take This Heart," and "Satisfied" are superb entertainment delights; tender ballads, such as "Right Here Waiting" and "Now and Forever" hold your attention riveted.
I must say, his best music is his power ballads. Such numbers as "Endless Summer Nights," "Should've Known Better," "Angelia," and "Hold on to the Nights" are powerful and moving. Others fit more diversely into a category. (...) "Hazard" is a beautiful story song about a man suspected of murdering his lover--probably my favorite Marx song to date. "The Way She Loves Me" is a groovy number featuring Lionel Ritche and Luther Vandross.
Not all of these songs are standouts, of course. "Angel's Lullaby," written for Marx's kids, is a bit too personal for anyone other than a parent to grasp. "Until I Find You Again" lacks something the other power ballads have. "Keep Coming Back" just can't keep your attentioin; and "Children of the Night" is basically a cliched charity song--good intentions, but not great music.
Other than that, Richard Marx's GREATEST HITS is quite an acheivement--an album of great songs that meld pop and rock into a groove that Marx's raspy voice cleary identifies with. In a world where "alternative" music is considered the only music of value, it's nice to hear someone doing something different with pop music. Making the ordinary extraordinary, you could say.
on March 3, 2002
Format: Audio CD
Richard Marx first exploded onto the music scene in 1987 with his self titled debut album. The album went top 10 and spawned four top ten singles, "Hold Onto The Nights", "Don't Mean Nothing", "Endless Summer Nights", and "Should've Known Better". They are all here on this collection. The next several years saw many more hits come his way. The biggest ones being "Right Here Waiting", "Angelia", "Hazard", and "Now And Forever". All right here. There were a few others as well. This CD also includes a song called "Angel's Lullabye", which just might be the nicest song Marx has ever done. A gorgeous ballad. Richard Marx is an incredibly underrated writer/producer/composer/musician. He is cursed with being remembered by so many people as an " 80's teen pop" kind of guy. Maybe he was. So what?. The 90's saw a complete change in him. His last 3 albums have showed such incredible growth and maturity. This is NOT the same Richard Marx we knew in the 80's. His lyrics are meaningful and as tight as they come. His composing talents are incredible. But yet, the respect and credibility that he so deserves still eludes him. The last few years has seen Richard working with such artists as N' Sync, Barbara Streisand, and others. Marx will probably never reach the huge status he once had, but continuing to make solid albums as he has, he still wins. If only more people would come to see that, then everything would be perfect. Buy this CD.