Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Water Sports STEM

Format: Hardcover|Change

on December 4, 2010
This is a fantastic counting book. There are lots of things to count on every page, with fun and detailed pictures in the usual style of Richard Scarry. The story is simple but entertaining, even though the book might be a little long to read in one go for a small kid, because it does require a lot of attention.

The text really helps to explain number to kids. Adding and subtracting are introduced with simple sentences ("One bunny and one bunny make two bunnies." or "Four bunnies go home. That leaves just one bunny.") and children are encouraged to group items in smaller sets as they count ("Eight pies: five pies are burned, but three are baked just right.").

After number twenty the book goes ten by ten all the way to one hundred. Again, the text makes it clear that these big numbers are made putting together various groups of ten. The pictures are busy but not confusing - my favorite is the picture with one hundred fireflies in the night sky.

The last two pages show give some practice, using pictures, in adding small numbers.

I read the first part with my three year old boy and he seemed to love both the math theme and the story. He especially enjoyed the part where Mother Cat is trying to catch a flying watermelon :) Good fun, while practicing important reasoning skills!
on March 4, 2012
This is the best counting book ever. My son loved it when he was little and I was delighted to find it was still available when I was looking for a book for my grandson. Be prepared for a long story hour, however. It takes time to count everything on every page all the way up to the 99 fireflies.
on August 22, 2014
Richard Scarry's Best Counting Book Ever really caught my eye with its colorful and enticing cover - it made me want to look inside!

And I was not disappointed. Now, many counting books have numbers of items in bright colors, but here we have a more interesting story line.

Lots of different animals and items are arranged in groups of 1 to 20, and then by 10s up to 100.

I think this is a valuable book for children just learning about numbers and quantities. For example, does your child need to see what the number 5 or 50 (5 sets of 10) means? This book shows it visually, and very well, at that.

I highly recommend this large size happy and fun book as an aid to really help kids learn number and quantity concepts!
on September 4, 2013
This book is great for children ages 2-8. It introduces basic adding concepts and allows children to escape in the amazing world of Richard Scarry. It is one of my son's absolute favorite books, next to Cars, Trucks, and Things that Go.
on October 1, 2013
My 22 month old is pretty consistently counting to 10 after reading this book just a handful of times. Before the book I would count to 10 in the car every so often and she would primarily listen. While the book has a lot of different items to count, the content can be a little overwhelming for a 22 month old but the book is listed for 4 years and up. Some of the pages focus on a specific number ad will have a lot going on which may be too much for a 2 yo. We usually will pick one type of item for that particular number we are counting and count just those items and move on to the next page and number. We're sticking to 1-10 for now and will move on to higher numbers once she's good with it. It's a long book and I'm looking forward to exploring new content soon. The illustrations are great and keep her attention well. There's also adding, subtacting and grouping of numbers.
on January 12, 2015
Another fun Richard Scarry book that does a good job of helping a child learn to count from 1-20. After 20, it goes by tens - 30, 40, etc. up to 100.

The illustrations are great and I like that some of the items are in different colors so they can learn that similar items can still be counted together or separately depending on the situation. There's a small beginner's math section included as well.

It comes with a book cover that I took off since that would get ripped up right away, but we'll re-use later.
on December 22, 2015
My three-year-old (and I) love Richard Scarry books. Full of so much action and whimsy. Each page offers so much to look at (and count, in this particular book). Hours and hours of entertainment value. Highly recommended.
on December 26, 2013
I bought this as a gift for a two year old and four year old, and they can't get enough of it. Be prepared to sit down and spend a lot of time counting :) They love to count every picture on the page together, which starts out easy but by the end is a lot of counting! We spend hours with this book. Can't go wrong with Richard Scarry!
on May 3, 2014
I raised my son curling up at night reading these books, so I already knew my grandson would enjoy them as well. Not my first purchase of R. Scarry's books and wont be my last. Totally keeps their interest and I am a believer that getting our young ones to love to read, and taking care of their books, is a good idea. These books are "keepers" to sit quietly and read a little bit each night; amazing how kids will hurry to get their teeth brushed, toys picked up, so they can curl up and read these books with you. *G*
on February 25, 2015
I ordered more than 10 books by Richard Scarry for my two-year old son and this counting book is one of his all-time favorite. He loves the pictures and reads through it every day since he had this book. I am sure he learns a lot from it and has a lot of fun from reading it.