Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Water Sports

Format: Paperback|Change

VINE VOICEon February 5, 2011
I bought this book for my 4 year-old daughter, who loves Busytown, and it has been a huge hit! I've been through dozens of preschool workbooks with my son and daughter, and in my opinion this is absolutely the best I've ever seen! There are about 90 pages of sorting exercises, mazes, dot-to-dots, counting and color-related activities, shape and pattern identification, finding the differences between two pictures, and much more. Stickers - there are more than 20 pages of them! - are incorporated into every single exercise in one way or another, and between finding and placing the stickers on the pages and completing the activities, we've already spent more than two fantastic hours "working" on this book and aren't even done.

Part of what makes this book wonderful are Richard Scarry's familiar characters - Huckle mixing cans of paint, the Pig family in their car - and his unmistakable illustrations rich with color and detail. Many of the pages seem almost as if they've been lifted right out of my long-treasured Scarry books! But, more than that, the activities themselves are just so creative and fun. We loved helping Able Baker Charlie decorate his cake, sorting letters with Postman Pig, helping Miss Honey's class complete their alphabet chart, and, of course, chasing after Mr. Frumble's fly-away hat. My only regret is that this book is only 90 pages long instead of 9,000. Fantastic and unhesitatingly recommended!
22 comments| 55 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 21, 2011
My 4 year old son loved this workbook. It is the only one we have finished cover to cover! He requested it all the time and still has some of the extra stickers in his sticker box and loves to use them for fun. This is a well laid out, fun, and entertaining book for kids. They learn letters and numbers as well as develop motor skills. I cannot recommend this highly enough and wish there was another in the series!
on March 24, 2015
Great, high-quality book with tons of activities. The only disappointment is that the description said it was for ages 4-6 but the content really isn't for preschoolers. My preschooler was able to complete the first section (about 1/3 or so of the book) easily and had a lot of fun with it, but the rest of the book is more on the kindergarten and even 1st grade level. After the first section, the child needs to have a strong mastery of the alphabet and towards the end of the book, even have decent reading skills. The words the child is expected to know towards the end of the book are beyond most kindergarteners. I would recommend this book for 5+ year-olds with a strong mastery of the alphabet and who know at least several sight words.
on December 21, 2011
My 3 1/2 yr old daughter loves this book! She nearly completed it within 2 days because of all the fun activities. What I love about it is that it really engages the child and is fun but is very educational at the time. Another great thing about the book is all the stickers- my daughter LOVES stickers and nearly every page has some sort of sticker activity. Highly recommended!!
on February 13, 2012
it's true. according to my almost-3-year-old, this is the only thing that can compete with our iPad for her undivided attention. that's exactly why I got it and I adore it for being up to the task. the diversity and quantity of activities, the abundance of stickers, the simple themes of each 'chapter' [transportation, food, others that are not coming to mind....]: it all adds up to guilt-free [for you] fun [the kid].
on October 12, 2011
With a 4 and 2 year old, we've been through a lot of activity books, drawing books, workbooks, etc. This is, hands down, the BEST book we've every experienced. My 4 year old loved the page where she had to figure out what color red plus blue would make and then pick out the purple splash of paint sticker, while my 2 year old had to match a red paint brush sticker to the can of red paint. This is just one example of many. We love this book so much I am going to buy a second copy of it!!
on March 11, 2011
This book is awesome! It has a really nice variety of activities--matching, mazes, counting, coloring, patterning, and word search to name a few--many of which involve stickers which is always a hit with the pre-k crowd. My 4 1/2 year old couldn't get enough of this book. I will most certainly purchase this book again for friends.

That said, I do hope the publisher will make one change when they come out with another similar book (and I really hope they do so soon!). The sticker pages are separated out on different pages and scattered throughout the book. Each activity that involves stickers instructs the child to find the stickers for the activity on page A, B, C, etc. While in theory it seems like a good idea to have the child find the right letter page to complete the activity, my daughter had a tough time flipping around the book. The thicker card stock that the stickers are on meant that the book kept flopping closed and she'd loose the page with the activity she was trying to complete. Basically I think it created more frustration than it's worth. I ended up cutting out the sticker pages and made her a separate sticker packet which allowed her to keep the activity page open and still search for the appropriate lettered sticker page.
on February 4, 2012
My 5 year old loves Richard Scarry Busytown in general so he was over the moon about getting this activity book. The activities are all fun and great for the preschool/kindergarten level. Some of his favorites were putting the next scoop on a pattern of ice cream scoops, the maze where he got to drop off mail as he passed by various shops in busy town and one where he had to put the items in the sky, water, or land (things like a boat, apple car, little mouse in a biplane.) All of the pictures in the book are in color and the stickers are very nice (over 900 of them!) The book also includes pages of stickers (things and buildings you see on the shows or in the books)that can be used for whatever you want. We've done MANY activity books, and this is truly the best we have used.
on August 2, 2013
i bought the first copy of this book that we have a few months before my daughter turned 3. She enjoyed it, but much of it was really beyond her. Now she's 4, she picks it off the shelf and plays with it. She doesn't always choose to follow directions with it, but she's much more ABLE to follow directions if she wants, because she's now old enough to do basic telling of the time, and so forth.

If you're the parent of a Scarry fan, and it's hard to imagine any children who are not, don't hesitate. I've just ordered a 2nd one because the first one is mostly used, one way or another, and books like this are great when you travel to Europe with your little kid. Now she'll have a fresh one to enjoy. But don't assume they can do it all alone, because it's true that they need help with locating the pages that have the stickers etc. No, you do have to be there and participate to some extent. On a plane journey, that's what you'll do anyway - be right there with your kid.

She also likes the Priddy sticker books. This is different because it has a diversity of activities. I plan to take one of each on the journey.

Hope that's helpful
on November 29, 2011
I can't begin to tell you how much fun my grandson has with the Big Busy sticker and Activity Book. It is educational, challenging, and he loves stickers so the book works on various developmental levels. It is very appropriate for ages 3-6. He is 3 and I'm amazed at how ingaged he is. So glad I bought it.