5.0 out of 5 stars It really is the best!
Published on November 25, 2007 by Jen L.

3.0 out of 5 stars Many pages taken from other books
I bought this book along with "What Do People Do All Day?" for my son, and I found that about half of the pages are repetitive. I was not expecting that duplication, so I am only giving the book three stars, even though it is a great Richard Scarry compilation for someone who does not have many other Richard Scarry books.
Published 12 months ago by L. Wright

5.0 out of 5 stars It really is the best!, November 25, 2007
Jen L. (California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Richard Scarry's Favorite Storybook Ever (Picture Book) (Hardcover)
My two young sons LOVE this book (4 and 2 yrs old). It is a perfect sampling of Richard Scarrry's stories and pictures. My 4 year old picks it out everyday to read during his quiet time. Non readers can enjoy the pictures so much that they can be captivated by it for most of an hour. It has some of his Mother Goose rhymes, some Aesope's fables, plenty of pictures out of his "Word Book" with everyday pictures (ie: "The Kitchen", or "Clothing") labeled with their words, and some very classic and silly Richard Scarry stories. Some pages teach colors, ABC's, shapes, counting, seasons, manners, all about trees, flowers, trains, boats, cars and trucks, and much more! Our family loves the way Richard Scarry (and Patricia Scarry) write stories that look at the world through the eyes of a child - simple, silly, and full of everyday wonder. This book could be a text book of childhood!

4.0 out of 5 stars A delightful surprise, September 16, 2009
Richard Scarry's work was very new to me since I did not grow up in the US. Someone gave my 1-year old his "A Day at the Airport" and I thought it cluttered with its fine type and detailed sketches. "A baby can't focus on those details," I thought. Well, a baby can't, but that baby is now 2-years old, and he can. He absolutely loves the books. This particular volume collects 16 of Scarry's best known stories in a lovely hardback format (makes it easier to handle when in bed). My son adores the playful sketches and we make up stories as we go along since Scarry's gift is his drawing, not his prose or his narratives. The pictures combine "real" things (of steamrollers and back hoe loaders) with childlike characters (Lowly the worm is a current favorite)doing things that our urban son frequently wishes he could. He has learned how a letter gets sorted to get to its recipient, how bread is baked, how roads are made, all through Scarry's playful combination of image and character. As our son grows older, he is seeing more in each image and story and that's fantastic. I'd recommend this warmly for a 2+ year old.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Generation Enraptured, June 5, 2010
When shopping for books for my 3 year old grandson's visit, I remembered my son's love of Richard Scarry's books. "Favorite Storybook Ever" is one of the two I purchased. Myles must have requested that book be read to him five times a day!! We poured over the pictures and talked about the funny vehicles like the pickle truck and always had to hunt for Goldbug!
Richard Scarry is a must for any young library.
Granny Texas

5.0 out of 5 stars Rich in illustrations and very funny, April 3, 2010
These books will keep your toddler or preschooler busy just pouring through the illustrations. The /illustrations are detailed and pleasing. And reading the stories is fun for me because they are genuinely funny and sweet.

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved these when I was a kid...., February 2, 2010
....and so did my daughter. After having read 'Cars and Trucks' (same author) a million times, I decided to go for a new book to read. And read it we did. The stories do not grab her nearly as much as the cool drawings. We read it a million times, and will probably read it a million more!

5.0 out of 5 stars Richard Scarry books are wonderful !, January 15, 2007
All of Richard Scarry's books are geared towards teaching children language in a fun and interesting way. My 10 month old twins are already enjoying looking at the pictures and hearing me read to them. I recommend all his books!

5.0 out of 5 stars Talking bread!, February 6, 2008
Sarah Starks (Santa Monica, CA) - See all my reviews
This has the most memorable stories of the Richard Scarry books from my childhood. I remember looking at all the pictures in What do People Do All Day, and finding all my favorite characters in the very busy pictures, but the story I vividly remember is the the story of the Talking Bread, which is in this book (Favorite Storybook Ever). Lots of fun!

5.0 out of 5 stars A book to enjoy for a long time, December 29, 2010
This book has so many great stories in it and illustrations. Entertaining to read to the kids and also for them to look at for a long time. Perfect for entertaining in the car!

5.0 out of 5 stars Forever a keeper!, December 2, 2010
hrairoo "hrairoo" (San Francisco, CA USA) - See all my reviews
My daughter has requested this book be read to her every night before bed, before naptime, and be present while she is eating and on the potty for at least the past month. Needless to say, she loves it.
The stories are entertaining and fun to read and all the details make the book so special to young children. Lowly worm is such an unlikely but universally loved character, and he appears throughout the book.

Some of the technology is pretty outdated though (ie hand canceling of letters, chloroform for anesthesia, etc), but the kids don't notice, so no big deal.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wish I'd discovered his stuff sooner, February 20, 2009
Patrick Niemeyer (St. Louis, MO USA) - See all my reviews
The stories are original and funny and there is endless fun talking about the illustrations afterward.

Richard Scarry's Favorite Storybook Ever (Picture Book)
Richard Scarry's Favorite Storybook Ever (Picture Book) by Richard Scarry (Hardcover - October 14, 2003)
$14.99 $11.27