Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports

Format: Paperback|Change

on April 1, 2009
I've been searching out Richard Scarry books for my 2 year old, and bought this one new at a local bookstore. I'm sad to say that this book is *not* anywhere near the quality of the original Richard Scarry books. I didn't look at it until after I bought it, and my jaw was dropping cuz of how substandard it was. It read as if it was created by using a computer programmed to "write and draw a Richard Scarry book". The story is confusing and the images difficult to sort out. I checked the first page, and it states in the fine print that this book is written by "The Richard Scarry Corporation". I am returning this book, and will only buy books that state that they are by Richard Scarry himself from now on. I kinda suspect that this whole 8" x 8" series is of a similar quality. Nothing but the originals for my kid!!!! I'm sure that kids will still enjoy this book, and I'm happy for the folks who have had good experience with it, but if you do like this one, I highly recommend that you seek out a book that was actually drawn and written by Scarry himself, I think you'll see a *huge* difference in quality and wit.
11 comment| 93 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 1, 2009
I love the ORIGINAL, madcap Richard Scarry stories, but this one is just plain ridiculous. The firefighters spend most of the story cleaning up messy car accidents instead of fighting fires. The final line of the book is something like "We'll clean up the mess. Don't worry, it's all in a firefighter's day." What, are they maids?
on January 19, 2016
I bought this as a Christmas present for my nephew and he loves it. I remembered growing up reading "Busy Town" and this was a beautiful trip down memory lane for me as well. The artwork is fantastic, the story is the right amount of silly for kids, and characters are beautifully creative. A great classic!
on July 9, 2013
If you are looking for an informative book about firefighting and firetrucks do not purchase this book. I purchased this book as the party favor for my son's 4th birthday party which was held at the local volunteer fire department. He loves everything related to firefighting and I thought this would be a great book for his friends. I should have looked inside the book because it is about a couple of painters who are painting the firehouse but make a huge mess instead and get paint everywhere. I returned them all and purchased "All Aboard Fire Trucks" by Teddy Slater. It was exactly what I was looking for.
on August 29, 2008
I think this is a Richard Scarry Jr book rather than the dad, but it's still classic Scarry, charming and enjoyable. It's no Cars and Trucks or Busy Busy World, nor is it designed to educate your child about firefighters or fire stations, but it's a quick, cute and enjoyable read.
on January 7, 2014
Love all Richard Scarry vehicle books. They have been in our family since my son was a boy, and he is now 33. I bought this book as a Christmas gift plus another for my grandsons. They love the funny characters and Fire Trucks. Also it very informative.
on March 28, 2016
What is not to love with Richard Scarry? Grew up with these books so it was fun to start building a collection for my kids. There is so much to look at and we really enjoy taking our time to look at them. This item arrived promptly with great packaging.
on October 25, 2015
Wow. Not sure what the illustrator was thinking with all this red (reminiscent NOT of strawberry jam, but of blood), but the text is fun for little kids. Richard Scarry's illustrations became "scary" in this book!
on February 8, 2015
Another great FIREFIGHTER BOOK. Colorful, the wording is perfect, and keeps the attention spam of every child at..... full attention. This book was a hit to the little boy who received it. This book comes highly recommended and all who have read it.... LOVES IT.
on January 5, 2015
A hit-it-out-of-the-park success at Christmas, this book (along with its counterpart "A Day at the Airport") were the favorites under the tree. Over the past two weeks, I've read this book no fewer than 25 times and know the adventures of Drippy & Sticky better than I thought possible.