Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now SnS

Format: PaperbackChange

on April 1, 2009
I've been searching out Richard Scarry books for my 2 year old, and bought this one new at a local bookstore. I'm sad to say that this book is *not* anywhere near the quality of the original Richard Scarry books. I didn't look at it until after I bought it, and my jaw was dropping cuz of how substandard it was. It read as if it was created by using a computer programmed to "write and draw a Richard Scarry book". The story is confusing and the images difficult to sort out. I checked the first page, and it states in the fine print that this book is written by "The Richard Scarry Corporation". I am returning this book, and will only buy books that state that they are by Richard Scarry himself from now on. I kinda suspect that this whole 8" x 8" series is of a similar quality. Nothing but the originals for my kid!!!! I'm sure that kids will still enjoy this book, and I'm happy for the folks who have had good experience with it, but if you do like this one, I highly recommend that you seek out a book that was actually drawn and written by Scarry himself, I think you'll see a *huge* difference in quality and wit.
11 comment88 of 92 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 1, 2009
I love the ORIGINAL, madcap Richard Scarry stories, but this one is just plain ridiculous. The firefighters spend most of the story cleaning up messy car accidents instead of fighting fires. The final line of the book is something like "We'll clean up the mess. Don't worry, it's all in a firefighter's day." What, are they maids?
22 comments15 of 15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 29, 2008
I think this is a Richard Scarry Jr book rather than the dad, but it's still classic Scarry, charming and enjoyable. It's no Cars and Trucks or Busy Busy World, nor is it designed to educate your child about firefighters or fire stations, but it's a quick, cute and enjoyable read.
on July 9, 2013
If you are looking for an informative book about firefighting and firetrucks do not purchase this book. I purchased this book as the party favor for my son's 4th birthday party which was held at the local volunteer fire department. He loves everything related to firefighting and I thought this would be a great book for his friends. I should have looked inside the book because it is about a couple of painters who are painting the firehouse but make a huge mess instead and get paint everywhere. I returned them all and purchased "All Aboard Fire Trucks" by Teddy Slater. It was exactly what I was looking for.
Do you think it might be a good idea to hire painters named Drippy and Sticky?

Well, In Richard Scarry's fun-filled book A Day at the Fire Station, that's just what happened and much more! Toddlers and young readers will love this story about mishaps galore.

This classic children's book is chock full of laughs and action, with illustrations that offer lots for the imagination.

Recommended!
on March 26, 2007
My son loves when we read him this book. Granted, he's only 7 months old but there is so much fun stuff to look at. Richard Scarry is a definite family favorite for us!
on August 24, 2007
My son (2 years old) loves this book. It's great for teaching new words and getting him to search the drawings for new things. The pages are chaotic, but that's part of the fun. It's a very silly story, and it makes for wonderful reading time. We look forward to adding more books like this to our collection.
It is a paperback, so you might want to check how gently your kid might or might not treat the book.
on January 19, 2016
I bought this as a Christmas present for my nephew and he loves it. I remembered growing up reading "Busy Town" and this was a beautiful trip down memory lane for me as well. The artwork is fantastic, the story is the right amount of silly for kids, and characters are beautifully creative. A great classic!
on January 7, 2014
Love all Richard Scarry vehicle books. They have been in our family since my son was a boy, and he is now 33. I bought this book as a Christmas gift plus another for my grandsons. They love the funny characters and Fire Trucks. Also it very informative.
on May 14, 2008
This is a great little busy book for kids. So many things to look at on all the pages, it will keep their imagination going. I have always liked Richard Scarry books and this is another great one of his.