Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Winter Sports on Amazon.com SnS

Format: PaperbackChange

VINE VOICEon April 5, 2014
My French is a little rusty so before I headed to Paris I purchased Rick Steves' phrase book. I was glad I had it along. It was useful in restaurants to decipher that one word that made all the difference in whether or not I wanted to order something. I like that it was small enough to fit in my pocket. This and Rick Steves' Paris 2014 are the only books you need for that Paris trip.
0Comment24 of 24 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 2, 2014
This little book covers everything I could want, including Steves' personable, practical tips for use of the book itself, and of course for the French language. Steves addresses both literal and social points of particular communications. This book provides the words one needs to navigate food (including markets) and dining, travel, medical, shopping, entertainment, sightseeing and much, much more. An excellent application for anyone who is going to spend time in France. Very, useful. A "must-have" was perfectly met for me in that pronunciations are paired with every word or phrase - vital in that the French language is often not phonetic and because with this tool, after a while, one begins to form "patterns" that lead to memorization. Steves always includes some human interest to keep the reader, well, "interested." Steves understands that the most readers are not focused on becoming fluent French linguists, but rather wish to be able to combine enough French language with acceptabe non-verbal cues to be polite, engaged, and comfortable guests in France. In every way a delightful purchase.
0Comment26 of 28 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 23, 2014
Since my college French has gotten very rusty, I decided to order Steves' French Phrase Book and Dictionary in preparation for a trip to France later this year. Since the book is divided into categories, it is easy to find the words or phrases one needs to handle whatever situation is at hand. Following each phrase is the pronunciation. He also deals with the colloquial way to say many things and that is a big help. While most people in France do speak English, they always appreciate it when we Americans struggle to use their language and I plan to study this book at length before my trip.
on June 8, 2014
This is a very practical and helpful guide to all things French. Steve covers important cultural differences, such as the customary greeting. The guide aided me to ask basic questions at the airport, cafes, shops, etc.
on June 6, 2014
Rick Steves' books and advice are simply "the best" books. His pronunciation guide is great. We are using his book as a guide for our French group.
on July 9, 2014
This book was so helpful on our vacation!! The phrases are super useful and the book is divided into easy-to-use sections. I would recommend this book to anyone going on vacation in France!!
on May 26, 2014
Yes it was helpful. I would recommend it to any traveller to France. Not too many English speakers in Paris.
on July 5, 2014
The print was too small. and I needed glasses to read every line.
on May 11, 2014
not just a language manual. Lots of cultural hints as well. Regional guides to wines, several ways to say "you are welcome", etc.
on February 26, 2015
Not as I expected. Too long and not organized for easy use.