5.0 out of 5 stars Rick Steves' Italy 2010 Review
We have used Rick Steves' travel guides in France, Spain and Central Europe and have found them to be very, very helpful.

While it is true that Rick Steves' Italy 2010 doesn't cover the extreme southern part of Italy or Sicily, it covers the areas that we plan to visit, and in that respect, I feel it is fairly comprehensive.

Of course, I would always...
Published on October 30, 2009 by William D. Mashburn

3.0 out of 5 stars Every American in Italy has this book!
Published on December 31, 2009 by Grain O Sand

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Rick Steves' Italy 2010 Review, October 30, 2009
This review is from: Rick Steves' Italy 2010 with map (Paperback)

Of course, I would always recommend that one traveling to Italy consult other travel guides such as the Rough Guide to Italy, Frommers' Italy, and Lonely Planet's Italy.

We have been successful in getting our local public library to order up-to-date travel guides on Italy, which are useful in planning our trip, but we purchased Rick Steves' Italy 2010 as the one guide to pack for the trip.

I feel that it is an excellent investment.

William D. Mashburn (Age 75)

5.0 out of 5 stars the best guide book ever, January 26, 2010
This review is from: Rick Steves' Italy 2010 with map (Paperback)
Rick Steves is specific about what to see, where to stay and what you actually get, what not to miss and how to get to everything. Oh, and how much it will cost. I have used other Steves' guidebooks, and he is right on the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Italian Vacation!, April 26, 2010
This review is from: Rick Steves' Italy 2010 with map (Paperback)
Just returned from a 17-day trip to Italy -- all the small towns and out of the way places! Couldn't have been possible without Rick Steves' book! We used it to determine train and bus transportation, B&B's and agriturismos, as well as restaurants, and, of course, the walking tour in each town.

With this book it is possible to see Italy away from the crowds, on your own, and at your own pace. Our vacation couldn't have been more perfect!

3.0 out of 5 stars Every American in Italy has this book!, December 31, 2009
This review is from: Rick Steves' Italy 2010 with map (Paperback)
We went to Italy in 2007 and had the corresponding Steve's guidebook...as did every other touron in Italy that fall. Don't get me wrong the guidebook was great but I sure felt like a dork sitting in a restaurant with 20 other people who all had the same guidebook. "Oh what does Rick say I should eat here?" Guidebooks are good for a general plan...but we used it a little too much "to the letter" and frankly the experience lost it's luster. "Oh, Rick says we should go look at this but gee... I'm not quite as thrilled as he said I should be!"

So in that sense maybe it was user error on my part. Travel should be about adventure, not canned experience IMHO, a guidebook should be bare bones or used as such. On our next trip I'll probably use a guidebook to lay out the general itinerary and leave it at home to add a little adventure.

Also important to note is that the poularity of this guidebook leads a lot of people to the same places. Obviously most tourists (regardless of the guidebook they own) are going to go to The Sistine Chapel. But I would guess that the subtler attractions that this book suggests will receive A LOT more traffic because of the book. Restaurants, hotels etc. It's funny this book suggests that the Cinque Terre is a lesser known destination on the Riviera. Well, I'd hate to go to the well known ones then, it was beautiful but it was also expensive and crowded.

With all that said it's a good book. The maps are accurate, the hotel advice was great as was the restaurant info and recommendation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I needed!, October 31, 2009
This review is from: Rick Steves' Italy 2010 with map (Paperback)
I'm planning my second trip to Italy and this book includes everything that I needed to know to help plan the trip (and then some). I've used Rick's advice before and have never been let-down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rick Steves knows Europe!, December 8, 2009
Robert A. (Arlington, VA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rick Steves' Italy 2010 with map (Paperback)
I mostly rely on various websites when I travel but I found Spain to be just too large to handle on my own; so last year, I decided to get Steves' Spain book. Now that I'm getting ready to explore Italy, I've once more turned to Steves' guide book. He offers the most valuable practical information at the fingertips of the ordinary traveler. I know now what to expect and I can't ask for more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rick Steves' Italy, March 13, 2010
Michael J. Henderson (Huntington Beach, California United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rick Steves' Italy 2010 with map (Paperback)
Terrific guidebook. I always travel with Rick's books now, since I find them to be simply superior to the others. His books take you by the hand to some of the most amazing and wonderful places you can ever travel to. Rick's guidebooks are updated annually, not every other year like the vast majority of guidebooks. And, for many of the accommodations he recommends, discounts are offered when traveling with his book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rick Steves doesn't dissapoint again, May 6, 2010
This review is from: Rick Steves' Italy 2010 with map (Paperback)
I'm planning a trip to Italy in September and would never attempt it without Rick's books. The 2007 version is also in my library so I will compare the 2. We looked at a cruise but realized we couldn't get a real feel for the country that way. He spells out so many of the daily needs and customs, sleeping accommodations, restaurants and sites ranked. My itinerary is done so I'm working on the details. Ciao

4.0 out of 5 stars Generally useful, not always reliable, June 16, 2010
M. Wang (CT United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Rick Steves' Italy 2010 with map (Paperback)
Rick Steves gives a fairly detailed introduction to Italy here. The information is reasonably up to date and will benefit first-time visitors particularly. I have used other guide books in my travels. Rick Steves' is among the best.

This book is not perfect, however. The Rome Metro actually includes commuter rails and the same ticket allows free transfers. This is not mentioned at all in the book. Considering how sparse the subway coverage is, I think the omission needs to be corrected.

The restaurants he recommends for Rome are not as good as those we pick for ourselves. This is pretty irking, although we agree with his picks on gelateria. In regard to shopping, he is totally clueless, according to my wife, who has substantial expertise in the matter. Rome is full of surprises, however, so even random wandering has been great fun.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome GUIDE!, November 22, 2010
This review is from: Rick Steves' Italy 2010 with map (Paperback)
I went on my honeymoon to Italy and this book was the only thing I used to guide me around Rome. Rick Steves is simply AWESOME! The best thing I remember was following his tip about buying the Colosseum tickets on the Colina Palatina booth, in order to skip the HUGE lines on the Colosseum! I did just that and me and my wife went laughing ALL the way from the back of a 200 person line to the entrance and into the Colosseum! AMAZING! This book is filled with MANY, MANY secrets like this and I couldn't find any situation on which Mr. Steves was wrong. If you are going to Italy, take this book with you and SAVE a TON of money! Highly Recommended!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Rick Steves' Italy 2010 with map
Rick Steves' Italy 2010 with map by Rick Steves (Paperback - October 20, 2009)
Used & New from: $0.01