5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for Rick's Convertible Bag (or your bag!)
Published on September 11, 2007 by Travel Guide Junkie

3.0 out of 5 stars Good product, but I prefer eBags cubes
Published on February 16, 2011 by Edward Barnett

3.0 out of 5 stars Good product, but I prefer eBags cubes, February 16, 2011
Edward Barnett (Cambridge, MA United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
After 25 years of international business travel, I only recently discovered packing cubes. Honestly, I thought they were a gimmick until I tried them. If you take trips where you're moving to a different city/hotel every couple of days, packing cubes are terrific, as they let you "unpack without unpacking" -- i.e., you can remove the cubes to get at your stuff, but still repack your suitcase in under a minute the next morning just by popping all the cubes back in place. They also keep items (especially business shirts) neater, and they're very handy when a security screener needs to go through your bag. My packing cubes paid for themselves the first time I had to go through a secondary security screening at the airport.

In terms of specific brands and models of packing cubes, I prefer the eBags medium-sized cubes over the Rick Steves cubes. Two of the eBags medium cubes fit perfectly side-by-side in a typical 21" carry-on roller-style suitcase (e.g., the eBags TLS mini or the Rick Steves 21" carry-on roller, both of which I use), whereas the Rick Steves smaller cubes leave a lot of extra space on the sides. Also, the eBags cubes are shorter (about 3" vs. 5" for the Rick Steves cubes). Personally, I prefer to use more of the shorter cubes, with different types of items in each cube (e.g., shirts in one cube, underwear in another, etc.), rather than stuffing a lot of different stuff into a larger cube.

Having said that, packing style is a matter of personal preference, and others may prefer the deeper and smaller Rick Steves cubes, so the real question is quality and durability. Both the eBags and the Rick Steves cubes are well made, and the zippers on both work well. I think the eBags cubes will be more durable over time, though. The Rick Steves cubes are mesh on all sides. The eBags cubes use a very light, solid fabric (like parachute clothe) on the sides and bottom, with mesh on the top so you can see what's in the cube. I think the parachute clothe (which is reinforced with mesh) will last much better than pure mesh, and it doesn't get snagged on things as easily. The fabric doesn't add any discernible weight relative to all mesh, as far as I can tell.

Whichever brand you get, it's worth the investment. Packing cubes really do make travel easier.

UPDATE 4 July 2012: When I wrote the above review, I speculated that the eBags cubes would be more durable. Sure enough, the mesh of the Rick Steves packing cube has torn around one of the seams, but the eBags cubes (which I've used more heavily) are still going strong with no signs of wear.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for Rick's Convertible Bag (or your bag!), September 11, 2007
We own two of last year's version of Rick's Convertible Carry-on Bag. Lived out of them for 2-1/2 weeks in Europe each of the last two summers. We also bought TWO sets each of these Rick Steves' packing cubes, which exactly fit inside his Convertible Carry-on Bag (2 large and 4 small Rick packing cubes perfectly fit inside his bag - or eliminate one small cube to allow space for your dopp or toiletry kit in the bag.) If you are familiar with Rick's travel philosophy (travel light and carry-on) these cubes are a perfect compliment to his bag - or any bag you pack. They are see-through for ease of finding what you are looking for, and add virtually no weight to your bag. They keep everything organized, which keeps you from unpacking the entire bag each time you need one item. For more on Rick's travel philosophy and travel suggestions get his book Europe Through the Back Door. Invaluable.

4.0 out of 5 stars Packing Cubes are Surprisingly Helpful - and this set is the best price, November 3, 2007
Joel Dauteuil (San Diego, CA USA) - See all my reviews
Regardless of which type of luggage I'm taking (rolling duffle or structured rolling bags) these packing cubes are extremely helpful with organization inside. They allow me to compartmentalize similar items like underwear in one cube, socks in another etc. I've also been happy with them for electronic stuff - I use one for powercords and cables (for laptop, Zen player, camera, mobile phone) and other small attachments like my memory card reader for the digital camera etc.

Very useful - and I've had some of these cubes for many years so they do hold up well. I like the Eagle Creek ones a little better but the Rick Steves set is by far the best price. And, Rick Steves is a travel guru by the way - if you don't own some of his books you're truly missing out. They are the best travel books on the market. Check out the Graffiti board on his website for additional info and a taste for his tips and recommendations.

5.0 out of 5 stars Combine with space bags for best results, September 5, 2007
BrownyBrownie (San Francisco, CA) - See all my reviews
This is a great value for packing cubes, but when I first utilized them while backpacking, I found that they encouraged inefficent packing of my shirts and undergarments, and they served mostly as springy constructs to keep my luggage from closing at all. My solution: combine these with travel-sized vacuum "space bags" (whatever maker is fine-- I have Eagle Creeks) to squeeze these down a notch. The mesh construction helps the air to circulate out of the package, but the cubes themsleves help keep everyhing organized while they're all squeezed in there and keep the bags clean.

5.0 out of 5 stars Never leave home without them, May 22, 2008
Mandi (Clarksville, TN) - See all my reviews
What can I say? I've had these for a year now and they go everywhere I do. I'm an American living in Europe and travel every chance I get. Most of my trips are 4-5 days but I have done several one week trips as well. I've only actually ever used the large packing cube once...and that was for a snowboarding trip to Switzerland. I was able to fit all my gear...boarding pants, jacket, thermals, 2 pair of gloves, 2 hats, 2 pair of socks, and goggles...in the large cube and everything else in the small ones. I only ever use the small cubes for regular travel. If I can't fit everything for 4-5 days in those two cubes, I'm bringing too much. I spent 8 days in London and Paris with just the two small cubes and they were perfect.

It's amazing how much fits in there! Just roll it all up tightly and you can fit plenty. This was another one of those products that my husband thought I was silly for buying (that seems to happen a lot). I finally bought him his own set when I got tired of him trying to steal mine :)

The cubes are black mesh on the top and sides and solid black (nylon?) on the bottom. While I wouldn't call the mesh "stretchy" it does have some give to it so you can cram that last t-shirt in there. The zipper is strong...I've packed these things to the max for at least one trip every month for over a year and have never had the zipper split. It's also great when you're trying to get that one thing out of the bottom of your bag and have to pull everything out to get to it...you're not having to pull out socks and underwear for the entire airport to see.

1.0 out of 5 stars 2 out of 3 bags tore on my first trip, September 20, 2011
HalfGeek (Washington, DC USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rick Steves Packing Cube- 3 Set (Apparel)
I bought these right before leaving on a trip to Europe. I'm now back from Europe, two months later, and two of the three bags have tears in the mesh (interestingly, at the same place, along the seam). That's ridiculous after one trip, to one city and back. I've bought similar bags from ebags before, the things have lasted me years, they're fabulous, and if you compare the quality, these Rick Steves bags don't even come close - all you have to do is feel both to see the difference (I'm still using the ebags, I just needed more, so figured I'd buy these and get them shipped quickly with Prime). I'm really annoyed about this. I bought these assuming that with Rick Steves' name on it, I could pretty much guarantee these would be a good buy. Wrong. I'm sorry, but buy these at your own peril - these are not high quality. Anyway, feel free to click through and read my profile, I'm not some guy working for the competition. Just a guy seriously annoyed at how cheap (in quality) a lot of things are becoming nowadays. I'm glad that a lot of folks seem to like these bags - I did too, before my flight. Buy them are your own peril. I told ya so.

PS I actually found a phone number for Amazon, and they gave me the phone for the Rick Steves people, you have to return it to them.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not recommended, June 3, 2011
When I first received these I thought they would be great because they are a little more spacious than most other brands. After using them I would not recommend buying these packing cubes. My clothing stuck to the solid surface and it transferred black color to my light colored clothing ruining them. The black would not wash out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than Tupperware, December 8, 2007
For some reason recently I used a small Tupperware box to pack my socks for a trip. This was fine till I had worn all the socks and had an empty Tupperware box taking up room in my suitcase. "If only it would fold flat," I thought. Then I found the packing cubes. They are slightly large for the width of my Samsonite carry-on suitcase. But they are scrunchable. They are lightweight with see-through mesh, everything I could want. I plan to buy at least one more set to make a Christmas gift. They're better than Tupperware, but don't use them to store deviled eggs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best packing cubes for travel, June 29, 2008
Dale MCATEE (Silicon Valley, USA) - See all my reviews
The nicest things about these cubes are that they are lighter than the Eagle Creek ones and that they sort of have a springy memory to their size. I try to pack light, I don't want my packing aids to add considerable weight to my backpack. These are the best of the lot, IMO, better than those from Eagle Creek and Magellans in functionality, size, and weight. I've given several sets away as gifts as well. You can often find a better price for them on Rick Steve's website.

5.0 out of 5 stars An absolute essential for packing now!, September 28, 2007
Stephanie Frederic (Baton Rouge, LA United States) - See all my reviews
I bought these for a trip to Europe when I wanted to lighten our suitcases. I couldn't believe how much I loved them. They are so much lighter than any organizer bag or lingerie bag. I'm going to buy more--I'm never traveling without them again. They are feather-light and collapse when empty. I wished I had more to pack my souvenirs in for the trip home. Such a simple, easy, convenient way to pack underwear, gloves, umbrellas, etc. and be able to find them in your suitcase.

Rick Steves Packing Cube- 3 Set