5.0 out of 5 stars We buy every new addition of Rick Steves' Paris
Published 9 months ago by Richard D. Wolfe

1.0 out of 5 stars Not worth it
Was very disappointed in this book. I used his Europe through the Back Door 15 years ago and had a great time. Now his recommended site are either tourist traps or not worth seeing. I also had much better luck using Yelp for restaurant recommendations - his recommendations serve overpriced, mediocre food.
Published 3 months ago by Thomas Novak

5.0 out of 5 stars We buy every new addition of Rick Steves' Paris, October 3, 2013
This review is from: Rick Steves' Paris 2014 (Paperback)
Rick's books are the best as they provide travelers with detailed useful information on sites, museums, hotels and restaurants not available in other travel publications. We love Paris and Rick's Paris books are without equal. His books are a nice way to meet other people traveling who are also carrying one of his books. Also, we do get hotel discounts when we show his book at the front desk. His books are also great for touring certain museums. People will come up to us and ask where to get his book as the museums don't provide the details like his books do on how to enjoy and see important art in a specific museum. Thanks Rick.

5.0 out of 5 stars Is a guidebook worth it?, January 3, 2014

If you dig in the internet, you're likely to find a few nuggets of gold in all the dirt and common metals if you have enough time. Or, you can go to the jeweler and get a refined and polished ring.

These guides distill so much information that it is a HUGE time savings. The maps are much more convenient than trying to print your screen shots, and walking tours with notes on what you're seeing are nonexistent on the net - good luck trying to put one as good as these together! In addition there is the added benefit of a traveller's wisdom; few websites will tell you less expensive options for what they are trying to sell you! Even fewer come with a menu decoder!

Here's a promise: If you read this, you will probably save money and (more importantly) definitely save time during your trip.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't leave home without it!, December 7, 2013
Peggy P.A. (Manhattan, KS USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rick Steves' Paris 2014 (Paperback)
I never travel to Europe without Rick Steves in my pocket. I had the Paris 2009 book from our previous trip and it led me to places that I had never heard of, but which turned out to be some of our favorite places in Paris. His tips for avoiding lines and getting the most of our time in another city/country are invaluable. And I learned new things from this revision to help us prepare for our trip there in the spring. (Last time we were there, you couldn't make a reserved time to go to the Eiffel Tower.) Plus, his comments and guides through the various historical sites are informative and interesting and often funny! We are planning day trips from Paris on this trip and I intend on buying his France 2014 book when it is released.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not worth it, March 30, 2014
Thomas Novak (Seal Beach, CA United States) - See all my reviews

3.0 out of 5 stars Good-- enough, May 28, 2014
Steves, in typical Steves' style, delineates where to go and what to see. However, some of his directions are a bit 'outdated.' We took the appropriate train to Versailles, but the LAST stop is no longer the stop to disembark for Versailles. So we wasted a bit of time as we had to wait over half an hour for the same train to head back to downtown Paris. Had I paid attention to the actual 'name' of the stop and not just relied on 'the last stop' we would have been OK. However functioning minimally in a foreign language, I took the easy way out and just went for 'last stop.' Also the entrance that the book assured us was the line where we need not wait in line was in fact exclusively the handi-capped entrance and we needed to retrace our steps and enter the 'real' entrance along with everyone else. For on-line versions, in particular, it would be helpful to know which buildings are undergoing renovations. It seems to me that his 'advisors on the ground' could keep abreast of the main spots in Paris. For example, I visited one glorious chapel, only to discover that the majority of the stained glass windows described in the headphone-tour which I purchased, were not visible due to scaffolding. A handy addition might be the names of some commonly served dishes. In one little restaurant I ordered what I though was beef sautéed in olive oil and seasoned w/ lemon. Imagine my surprise when the slice of beef was a very thin slab which covered an over-sized dinner plate with a dab or olive oil and a wedge of lemon. Oh, yes. Did I mention. it was bloody raw! Yikes!

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent guide, December 26, 2013
for a fist time visitor, for a rush visitor, for a long term visitor, the book is a great way to learn everything about France, its people its history, and whereabouts.

4.0 out of 5 stars very very informative, October 12, 2013
This review is from: Rick Steves' Paris 2014 (Paperback)
I just started reading this guide, about 3 days, and am glad I bought it. more information than you will probably need. great buy

4.0 out of 5 stars a great guide for the first time traveler., May 24, 2014
This review is from: Rick Steves' Paris 2014 (Paperback)
This guide helped me to:
1. Find my way around the city
2. Take informed walks to learn more
3. Find all the important museums, arrive on time, make the most of time there
4. Understand what I was seeing
5. Know how to communicate and to watch my manners

The map that was included with the book was the best I found. Print readable and clearly marked sites.

My only concern is that the commentary about the art and sculpture is too much tongue in cheek.
Other specific guides give a more educated perspective.

However this guide is very good in helping with the details of travel. Twice I found myself very appreciative of the specifics included. The section on how to figure out phone numbers and how to get a doctor to make a house call were invaluable.

2.0 out of 5 stars Buy the hard copy version, May 22, 2014
Buy the hard copy version. It is very difficult to use the maps and walking tours on the electronic version when you are out and about in Paris

2.0 out of 5 stars Very selective coverage with possible conflicts of interest, March 1, 2014
This review is from: Rick Steves' Paris 2014 (Paperback)
Rick can be entertaining in his writing, but the book omits whole swaths of France and concentrates on a reduced number of sites, meaning you will need another couple of guidebooks. Also, the fact that he shamelessly plugs businesses that give kickbacks if you show them his picture or book compromises the integrity of what he is recommending. Some sections are good, but caveat emptor.

Rick Steves' Paris 2014
Rick Steves' Paris 2014 by Rick Steves (Paperback - October 1, 2013)
$19.99 $12.06