5.0 out of 5 stars We used this one the most, by far

3.0 out of 5 stars Not up to normal Rick standards
Published on June 1, 2012 by DfwTraveler

5.0 out of 5 stars We used this one the most, by far, July 10, 2009
Leonard Koscianski (Annapolis, Maryland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rick Steves' Prague and The Czech Republic (Paperback)
Of the three books we took - Rick Steve's Prague, Fodors, and DK this was the most useful. The book is easy to use and easy to read beforehand. I felt prepared when we stepped off the plane. His tours of the major sights are well organized with very good info. His maps are helpful, I referred to them constantly. He himself recommends buying a city map to supplement the book, so do I. We also took his advice when we visited nearby Kutna Hora, the book was very good there as well. Fodors was a little better with food, so bring that one too. When it comes to travel we are do-it-yourselfers. His book was just what we needed. Read the fine print, he even covers details like car rental, money exchange, and telephone.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not up to normal Rick standards, June 1, 2012
I am normally a huge Rick fan. My friends and I followed Rick's Italy book so closely that we took pictures with the book and were thrilled when we met him at one of his recommended restaurants. That being said- I am not a fan of this book. I have the March 2012 edition. It is not up to his normal standards. It doesn't have the normal detailed walking/museum tours that I have come to rely on. It also doesn't have the guidance about how long to expect a location or area to take. Then this evening I realized that the index in the back doesn't include all the restaurants and cafes that he includes. I am using his Budapest book at the same time and it is vastly superior. I hate to say it but I really would pass on this Rick book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Praguelover, October 20, 2009
This book provides an excellent overview of the city by sections that include maps, restaurants and hotels, places of interest, and transportation. I liked his helpful comments on money exchange - best to use your ATM card and be sure to let your bank know the country where you will be using it before you leave - (with the exchange rate in the back of the book)and tips on everything from tipping to enjoying a picnic lunch. You can tell he is familiar with the city. His advice to eat at local restaurants is good and one doesn't have to go far to stumble upon one. Whether walking or taking public transportation, Prague is an easy city to get around in and it's reputed beauty doesn't disappoint.

5.0 out of 5 stars Looking forward to Prague, September 2, 2008
Reading this book has helped me understand why Prague has become a top tourist destination. Now I, too, want to explore the architecture, music, food, and history of what sounds like an amazing city. With this book I feel comfortable planning a visit, even without knowing a word of the language. Having used other of Rick Steves' books in the past, I trust him to steer me to enjoyable, safe, and affordable experiences.

As in all of his books, Steves states his approach to travel clearly: he doesn't cover everything, just the "best" places, the best according to him, of course. My tastes and orientation align with his (interesting, moderately priced travel, including as much local immersion as is reasonable), so I rely on his books to provide the wonderful backbones of great trips. For visiting places other than his "best" I use a more comprehensive guide book, like Lonely Planet, in addition to (rather than instead of) his.

-Lynn Michelsohn, author of Roswell, Your Travel Guide to the UFO Capital of the World!

5.0 out of 5 stars Abundant useful information on sightseeing, transportation, lodge/eating, and entertainment, September 25, 2012
Similar to other Rick Steves' books, this book contains abundant information on sightseeing, transportation, lodge/eating, and entertainment. I booked one of the recommended hotels in the old town and, sure enough, received the discount as stated in the book. The information about musical hall is very helpful as there are so many performances and you have to choose one of the best. Notice that there may be different halls in one musical center. Make sure to buy tickets for the two recommended halls if you can. The recommended walking tours and the tram #22 route capture the very best of the scenery sites. The information on airport to old town transportation is very accurate and useful. You don't have to use airport taxi if your hotel is in/near the old town, just follow the shuttle or bus instructions and you'll get to your hotel not too much slower than using a taxi.

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't get the Kindle version, November 27, 2012
MMQ (Downers Grove, IL United States) - See all my reviews
I'm a Rick Steves' guidebook fan, and this is the first time I tried one of his guides on the Kindle, hoping to shed a little of the weight of paper guidebooks on my recent trip to Prague. It was very useful on the plane over, as I read the general information (history, overview, etc). I'm sure the print version is fine. But I didn't find it convenient to carry the Kindle with me everywhere I went, and I wound up buying a paper guidebook (DK Eyewitness) after all. Even with the Kindle in hand, it was awkward to look up specific sites - if there's an index, it's well hidden. Do a search on "Charles Bridge", and you get 55 hits. Which one shows me where the bridge is and why I should see it? If you have to use the Kindle search tool to find things, good luck if you don't know how to spell "Wenceslas" - at least if you're looking it up in a printed index in a book, you'll find it even if you're off by a letter or two, but not on the Kindle. It seemed like a good idea to get the guide on the Kindle, but I won't try that again soon.

4.0 out of 5 stars The best travel guides out there..., February 2, 2011
Kim Maddalozzo (Kennett Square, PA United States) - See all my reviews
Rick Steves Prague and the Czech Republic is the one book that I will take along with me when I travel to Prague this spring. I have used Rick Steves travel guide books before when I traveled to Italy the previous year and I can safely say that we would have been totally lost without them. This book is almost as good as his Italy travel guide books, it contains a lot of wonderful information about Prague through the centuries and it highlights all of the major sights and gives excellent supplemental history. He provides us suggestions for places to eat, shop, and sleep and how to use the public transportation system. He lets us know which sight to see and which are not worth the money and provides us with excellent tips to save money. Similarly, he also provides many day trips suggestions to other places in the Czech Republic that are worthy of seeing. The maps are helpful and useful and he tells us where all the tourist information centers are located. I really can't say enough about these books and I always take them along wherever I travel. The only problem that I had with this book is that I thought that some of the sights and museums were not as detailed as the Italy series. In most of the museums in Italy, Rick Steves provides us with detailed tours, where to look and why it was important and for the most part this book is not as detailed in this aspect. Despite this fact I have looked at all the travel guides for Prague and this one is still the best.

4.0 out of 5 stars rick steve's prague guide review, July 4, 2012
Great guide book for my first time visit to Prague. Could have provided more photos of the sites and better restaurant recommendations. The eating guide was a basic guide for the frugal tourist and could have provided more info like a zagat rating for the foodies.

5.0 out of 5 stars outstanding booklet on prague, October 3, 2009
This guide book was absolutley terrific.
Facts were correct and advice was on target.
A must for anyone traveling

4.0 out of 5 stars Another Winner!, April 10, 2009
Walter Scott (Charleston, SC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rick Steves' Prague and The Czech Republic (Paperback)
Rick Steves has done another marvelous job with this travel guide. It's ideal for people who aren't afraid to venture out on their own, yet want to be informed before doing so. My only complaint is there is not as much information about locations outside Prague as I hoped.

Rick Steves' Prague and The Czech Republic
Rick Steves' Prague and The Czech Republic by Rick Steves (Paperback - February 10, 2009)
Used & New from: $0.01