Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM

on July 10, 2009
Of the three books we took - Rick Steve's Prague, Fodors, and DK this was the most useful. The book is easy to use and easy to read beforehand. I felt prepared when we stepped off the plane. His tours of the major sights are well organized with very good info. His maps are helpful, I referred to them constantly. He himself recommends buying a city map to supplement the book, so do I. We also took his advice when we visited nearby Kutna Hora, the book was very good there as well. Fodors was a little better with food, so bring that one too. When it comes to travel we are do-it-yourselfers. His book was just what we needed. Read the fine print, he even covers details like car rental, money exchange, and telephone.
on June 1, 2012
I am normally a huge Rick fan. My friends and I followed Rick's Italy book so closely that we took pictures with the book and were thrilled when we met him at one of his recommended restaurants. That being said- I am not a fan of this book. I have the March 2012 edition. It is not up to his normal standards. It doesn't have the normal detailed walking/museum tours that I have come to rely on. It also doesn't have the guidance about how long to expect a location or area to take. Then this evening I realized that the index in the back doesn't include all the restaurants and cafes that he includes. I am using his Budapest book at the same time and it is vastly superior. I hate to say it but I really would pass on this Rick book.
on October 20, 2009
This book provides an excellent overview of the city by sections that include maps, restaurants and hotels, places of interest, and transportation. I liked his helpful comments on money exchange - best to use your ATM card and be sure to let your bank know the country where you will be using it before you leave - (with the exchange rate in the back of the book)and tips on everything from tipping to enjoying a picnic lunch. You can tell he is familiar with the city. His advice to eat at local restaurants is good and one doesn't have to go far to stumble upon one. Whether walking or taking public transportation, Prague is an easy city to get around in and it's reputed beauty doesn't disappoint.
on November 27, 2012
I'm a Rick Steves' guidebook fan, and this is the first time I tried one of his guides on the Kindle, hoping to shed a little of the weight of paper guidebooks on my recent trip to Prague. It was very useful on the plane over, as I read the general information (history, overview, etc). I'm sure the print version is fine. But I didn't find it convenient to carry the Kindle with me everywhere I went, and I wound up buying a paper guidebook (DK Eyewitness) after all. Even with the Kindle in hand, it was awkward to look up specific sites - if there's an index, it's well hidden. Do a search on "Charles Bridge", and you get 55 hits. Which one shows me where the bridge is and why I should see it? If you have to use the Kindle search tool to find things, good luck if you don't know how to spell "Wenceslas" - at least if you're looking it up in a printed index in a book, you'll find it even if you're off by a letter or two, but not on the Kindle. It seemed like a good idea to get the guide on the Kindle, but I won't try that again soon.
on September 2, 2008
Reading this book has helped me understand why Prague has become a top tourist destination. Now I, too, want to explore the architecture, music, food, and history of what sounds like an amazing city. With this book I feel comfortable planning a visit, even without knowing a word of the language. Having used other of Rick Steves' books in the past, I trust him to steer me to enjoyable, safe, and affordable experiences.

As in all of his books, Steves states his approach to travel clearly: he doesn't cover everything, just the "best" places, the best according to him, of course. My tastes and orientation align with his (interesting, moderately priced travel, including as much local immersion as is reasonable), so I rely on his books to provide the wonderful backbones of great trips. For visiting places other than his "best" I use a more comprehensive guide book, like Lonely Planet, in addition to (rather than instead of) his.

-Lynn Michelsohn, author of Roswell, Your Travel Guide to the UFO Capital of the World!
on September 25, 2012
Similar to other Rick Steves' books, this book contains abundant information on sightseeing, transportation, lodge/eating, and entertainment. I booked one of the recommended hotels in the old town and, sure enough, received the discount as stated in the book. The information about musical hall is very helpful as there are so many performances and you have to choose one of the best. Notice that there may be different halls in one musical center. Make sure to buy tickets for the two recommended halls if you can. The recommended walking tours and the tram #22 route capture the very best of the scenery sites. The information on airport to old town transportation is very accurate and useful. You don't have to use airport taxi if your hotel is in/near the old town, just follow the shuttle or bus instructions and you'll get to your hotel not too much slower than using a taxi.
on February 2, 2011
Rick Steves Prague and the Czech Republic is the one book that I will take along with me when I travel to Prague this spring. I have used Rick Steves travel guide books before when I traveled to Italy the previous year and I can safely say that we would have been totally lost without them. This book is almost as good as his Italy travel guide books, it contains a lot of wonderful information about Prague through the centuries and it highlights all of the major sights and gives excellent supplemental history. He provides us suggestions for places to eat, shop, and sleep and how to use the public transportation system. He lets us know which sight to see and which are not worth the money and provides us with excellent tips to save money. Similarly, he also provides many day trips suggestions to other places in the Czech Republic that are worthy of seeing. The maps are helpful and useful and he tells us where all the tourist information centers are located. I really can't say enough about these books and I always take them along wherever I travel. The only problem that I had with this book is that I thought that some of the sights and museums were not as detailed as the Italy series. In most of the museums in Italy, Rick Steves provides us with detailed tours, where to look and why it was important and for the most part this book is not as detailed in this aspect. Despite this fact I have looked at all the travel guides for Prague and this one is still the best.
on August 5, 2013
THIS IS A REVIEW OF THE KINDLE EDITION ONLY:

When looking at guidebooks to purchase to help us plan a trip to Prague, I read the reviews and selected Rick Steves' PRAGUE because of its thoroughness. Of what I've read, (and I think I've hit most of it by now), I really am enjoying it. BUT. And this is a BIG BUT. He often refers to information that lives in the sidebar. The sidebar that isn't available in the Kindle version. So you miss out on a TON of information going with the Kindle version. I feel like I don't have enough information to plan my trip because of those missing details.

What I do like about the guide in Kindle format are the easy-to-follow email links and easy-to-follow website links, making sure you don't have a transcription error when trying to check out a website for a sight or a hotel. And of course the motivation in the first place for buying the Kindle version was that it is easy to transport, weighs nothing, and can be seen on either my computer, my iPad, or my Kindle. And it's a few bucks cheaper.

Those things said, I really love the way the rest of the book is formatted and love that there are hotel recommendations with names of managers and how to get exclusive Rick Steves' discounts. I like how he tells it like it is and doesn't try to sugar coat anything, and that he recommends the most efficient route through the city to see all the sights, also noting when things are closed and that these details change frequently so checking before you leave is important. I also like the recommended itineraries based on how long you have to spend near Prague. They seem like the most practical I've seen.

But at the end of the day, I will end up purchasing the paperback of this as well so that I can get that information I feel like I'm missing. So, if the money is your motivation, save yourself about nine bucks and order the paperback to begin with. If you're not like me and won't feel like you're missing out, then by all means, Kindle away. It may come in handy to have both anyway.
on July 22, 2015
Prague Essential Travel guide
His best advice - stay outside of the city!!! Go into the city for fun, tours, museums, food, etc. Consider eating outside the city!
It is possible to get on the #22 tram or any of them going in the opposite direction. If you cannot read Czech, at least have a compass, used away from steel railroad tracks, to find north and south so you can catch your mistake. We used Apple iPhone and maps to solve the problem. Prague is a very big place and could be confusing without a very good map. We bought the 3 day pass which covers the trams, below ground metro, so ride with enthusiasm to even remote scattered sites. Skip taxi's except for a final luxurious ride back to airport with a private driver. Ask the hotel to arrange that. Hotel Adalbert was the best find. Go to neighborhood restaurants. Same good food as the larger tourist places and 1/2 price! Excellent beers, too. Avoid the tour groups and the ad-hoc tour groups. Follow the book and really enjoy this city.
on August 17, 2013
It's no fault of Rick, but I find that a travel guide in an e-book format is nearly impossible to learn from. I like to be able to flip back and forth between maps and text and sections of text and typically have my fingers jammed in several different places referencing them against each other and that ability is completely lost in this format. Again, no fault of the author nor a reflection of the content.

As for the book itself, I'm conflicted. There is a lot of great information in there nestled in snugly with some fairly useless information for a seasoned traveler. About 17 years ago, when my husband and I set off for Europe for four months we went to Rick Steves' place in Edmonds, Washington to purchase Eurail Passes and ended up buying a couple of Rick Steves' travel guides and language guides. We still have them and they were quite helpful but they had a very different feel to them. The people at the shop were beyond helpful and we love his shows on both TV and radio and Rick is such a dynamic person and personality.

I will always be a fan but I think that the books are more suited to the money belt and sensible shoes type of travelers and I will never be that kind of traveler.

(Yes, this review is copied and pasted for two books - Rick Steves' Prague and the Czech Republic and Rick Steves' Budapest)