on September 2, 2007
I used this money belt when I went to Costa Rica for a week in May. It rained everyday, but my money, passport, and other papers stayed dry and secure in the plastic pocket. I was afraid it might be uncomfortable or sweaty with the heat, but I wore it under my waist band on my lower back and it dried out very quickly each night. It held everything I needed and was so light and comfortable I had to often check to make sure it was there!

The only (small) problem I had was that the elastic for the adjustable waistband was far too long for me. I cut off a length and used a safety pin to keep the loose end up so it wouldn't end up hanging down my leg.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 10, 2008
I bought this a few months ago, and since then, I've used it on two vacations. It is very comfortable, and I really couldn't tell I had it on. On a few occasions, I patted my tummy to make sure it was still there.

I especially like that it has two separate zipper pockets. I looked at several different brands on these before I bought, and Amazon definitely had the best price for the silk belt. Most places wanted just as much, or more, for a polyester best...can you say sweaty? Ick.

For those who might be wondering, this has a really long belt. Great for plus size people. But for those skinny folks out there, just grab a pair of scissors and trim it off, since the elastic belt isn't hemmed anyway.
on July 2, 2007
This money belt is great! I went to Ireland and Scotland for 4 weeks and literally wore this all day, everyday except in the shower. I even slept with this on and I didn't feel it. I stayed in hostels and was 18 at the time so I wanted my important belongings safe and wearing this gave me that sense of security. It's soft and flexible and you don't feel it when you wear it. It held my 2 ID cards, my bank card, my passport, plane ticket and all money I had on me that I wasn't going to use that day and you couldn't tell I was wearing it. This money belt is super comfortable and will fit just about anyone. The belt is stretchy and easily adjustable. I love how it's made out of silk and not stiff uncomfortable nylon like other brands. I actually gave this to my best friend who went to the UK a couple years later and she loved it. Highly recommended!
on June 12, 2008
I brought this money belt with me to China recently and only used it for two days. It was helpful on the "sleeper" (overnight) buses where theft often occurs, but it wasn't particularly comfortable to wear during the day. First, the waist belt was extremely long and would not tighten enough to fit my waist well. I'm an average-sized girl in my 20s, and when I adjusted it to fit my waist, there was almost a foot of leftover strap that dangled unpleasantly (I had to use a binder clip to keep the leftover strap secure). Second, the belt was constantly shifting. I would suddenly find it up to my stomach rather than on my waist. This became quite annoying to me (especially when having to use the restroom), so I gave up and simply carried my passport in my purse (which I clutched tightly).

The money belt was quite nice in terms of size and the material was comfortable, but note that it does not work well with everyone's body type.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
This review is in two parts. IN BRIEF and IN FULL (+ HELPFUL INFORMATION)
If you don't like long informative "reviews" please stick to the IN BRIEF section. If you've got the time and interest, I trust you'll enjoy the full review.

<< IN BRIEF >>
This product works well, in lightweight, dries quick if wet, and does the intended job just fine. I have no hesitation in recommending it for its intended purpose. Quality was acceptable for the price. The clip is a little flimsy though, but shouldn't be an issue unless someone actually tries to pull this belt off your waist.
4 STARS. 1 Star off for the flimsy clip. I find the clips that squeeze from the sides much stronger.

<< IN FULL + HELPFUL INFORMATION >>

I've spent months at a time in places such as Peru, India, the Caribbean, the Canary Islands, and so forth. I always keep my passport, some backup credit cards, and backup cash in a money belt. Just in case the need arises. Fortunately I've never had to actually find out just how effective these belts are, although not having a wallet in the pocket or purse over the shoulder is bound to make one less prone to interest from thieves.

- This money belt is light weight due to the silk. This potentially makes it less durable, though I think it's worth it. It feels nicer on the skin. And dries quickly if wet from sweat, rain, etc.

- The plastic lined pocket is a potentially useful bonus. If you may be in seriously wet conditions (like sailing, river crossings, torrential rain, etc.) it might pay to have a suitably sized and sturdy zip-loc bag in there for complete water-proofing. Having extra freezer grade zip-locs on hand is also useful for any liquids you travel with, and any items you don't want getting wet under any circumstances. Alternatively, for very wet conditions, something like this might be useful: Kwik Tek Dry Pak Alligator Wallet

- You may find the strap way too long. It can be easily shortened by cutting it.

- You may find it creeps up your torso after a while. Typically this will only occur if you wear it above your pant line, around your waist/torso. I've found this to be the case with any money belt warn above the pant line. Personally I don't mind keeping it up high, as it's easy to access. If you don't want it creeping up (i.e. you want it more hidden), position it under your pants, below the waist-line (this is where it is designed to be worn). If you have a belt holding up your pants, then position beneath and below this. This may not work so well if you have a thick passport or more than one passport in there, as the documents may get bent into the shape of your butt.

- I prefer this style of money/document holder to the kind that hang from the neck, such as Eagle Creek Travel Gear Neck Pouch. (If you don't mind items around your neck you may want to get one of each - SEE THE TIPS BELOW). Typically it is much easier to lift your shirt inconspicuously and get what you need, than to drag a pouch all the way up over your collar. Ideally, you'll only have in there the things you won't need in public. I also find the neck ones create tension in the neck after wearing them a lot.

<< A POTENTIALLY USEFUL TIP >>
For those people especially concerned about their safety, consider buying a cheap, thin wallet in addition to whatever wallet you plan to keep most of your money and cards in. Stuff one or more dummy credit cards in there, a little cash, and some receipts. Make it look used at first glance. You can "make" a dummy card by looking through your credit cards now and finding the one with the longest time until expiration. Call your bank and tell them you lost the card (do not report it stolen, just in case that may bring up issues of needing to report to police, etc.). They will send you a new one with a new number. The card you reported stolen is now your dummy card. You can also make dummy cards by keeping your expired cards. If someone robs you on the street, they are not going to check your cards for expiration dates. Most will not even be interested in the cards, it just makes the wallet look legit. Most will be looking for cash.

Now, if you happen to be unfortunate enough to be forced to give someone your money, you can reluctantly hand them this dummy wallet. Depending on the situation, make a run for it immediately whilst they are looking through it (if you get the sense that is what they were after... chances are they will leave you to scram). You'll have to make the call on whether to bolt or not.

The dummy card may also come in handy if you happen to end up in a situation where a bar, or restaurant, or whatever tries to scam you into paying a false bill that is priced too high. Give them your dummy card (the one you reported stolen, which still has a valid expiry date). There are only some countries where these types of scams take place (Turkey, for instance, is known for the jacked-up menu prices scam). Thailand is most known for their jewellery scams, which can be avoided by simply not visiting any jewellery stores by recommendation or invitation from people you meet on the street or cab drivers, etc.. Should you end up in such a fix, and don't have the confidence to say no to the pushy sales people, again you can pull out your dummy (not yet expired) credit card. The payment will fail, and you'll be free to go.

<< ANOTHER TIP >>
Again, if in a country where your safety is of particular concern to you, have three locations with cards and money. Your money belt (such as the silk one this review is for), your dummy wallet, and somewhere else, such as down a sock (if appropriate, perhaps not for a woman in a skirt or man in shorts), in a shoe (potentially uncomfortable), in one a leather belt that has a pouch sewn into it, or in a wallet that hangs around your neck (such as this: Eagle Creek Travel Gear Neck Pouch). Here is one example of a belt with a pouch behind it, to see what I mean (this one is a bit cheap & tacky looking by the sounds of it, so you may need to search elsewhere for a nice one) - BLACK LEATHER MONEY BELT W/ HIDDEN ZIPPER POCKET. In the unlikely event that you get robbed and the robber takes your dummy wallet AND checks around your waist or neck for your money pouch, you will at least still have a backup of cash and a credit card elsewhere.

Alternatively, if staying at a (reliable) Hotel, consider keeping your important documents (passport, for instance), and a backup of cash/credit cards in their safe (or your room safe, if there is one).

When out and about, avoid taking your passport with you if you can keep it safely somewhere else. Make a photo copy of it (including any visas and entry stamps) and present that if ever asked by Police (for example) for your travel documents. Also take photos of all significant pages in your passport, and of all your other important items (drivers license, international drivers license, credit cards, insurance policies, etc.) and email them to yourself - to a Gmail account, for instance. That way you will have access to that information even in the unlikely event that EVERYTHING gets stolen or lost (including your camera).

IMPORTANT:: Delete these photos from your camera once you have uploaded them to your email account, because in the unlikely event that your camera is stolen you don't want a copy of these records on there.

Most importantly, once you have taken these basic precautions, simply be mindful, be aware, pay attention to your surroundings, and have happy and safe travels. I have felt safer in many so-called "dangerous" countries than I would on the streets on London or New York. I was even in Kashmir during an 8 year war, and I felt much safer than in L.A.

It is highly likely you will never need any of these precautions, yet knowing you have taken them can allow for greater ease-of-mind whilst travelling.

Happy travels.

- Jonathan
Traditional Naturopath, world traveller, and author of Peace, Power, and Presence: A guide to Self Empowerment, Inner Peace, and Spiritual Enlightenment

>> To see more reviews on holistic books, super-foods, nutritional products, and other healthy-living and self-health products, check out my Amazon profile page.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 30, 2008
In theory, this is a fantastic product... it's light, it's unobtrusive, it has pockets to separate your cash and credit cards, it comes with a plastic sleeve to protect your money from getting wet...

This might have been my first clue. As other reviewers have stated, the first order of business is to trim down the excess strap to your size. Once that is done, it's not too bad, as long as you remember to keep out enough cash to spend for the day - especially if you wear it on your lower back where it's most comfortable, it's difficult to get in and out of without drawing a ton of attention to yourself. I struggled with the credit card issue, and finally ended up keeping one out, buried in a zip pocket in my pants... I decided I'd rather have it stolen then be trying to get in and out of a money belt in crowded stores.

It did it's job in terms of keeping our passports safe, as well as our excess cash. Unfortunately, these little guys get VERY nasty VERY quickly. Within 2 days, it smelled like a dead animal, and on more than one occasion, I placed our passports on the wrong side of the protective plastic sleeve, and they actually started to get warped and damp from the sweat. It was kind of gross, and a bit embarrassing handing that to the immigration people. I finally started washing it every night in the sink, which helped with the smell, but didn't stop it from getting filthy by the end of the day.

In summary, for our 2 week jaunt through Europe, this helped me feel very secure about our passports, and as far as money belts go, it did what it was supposed to do. However, be prepared for a gamey experience when you take it off at night, and unless you want to be blatantly obvious that you have the thing, keep out whatever you'll need for the day, and keep this guy on your lower back while you travel around.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 8, 2008
Recently used this in Europe for 10 days and it was very useful. First off, the weather was hot, mid 80s during the day and the belt didn't really add to my body heat (which was good). Though once it reached in the low 90s and I did sweat a little into it. However, for the most part, I didn't really notice the the belt at all once I had it on. It was pretty comfortable and most importantly, the snap on buckle never gave way or came loose. I've heard some other belts have that issue.

The design is functional enough. Its very light and the silk material makes it soft. The nude color helps conceal it even through thin linen shirts. There are two zippered compartments. The back one fits passport, bills, tickets, etc. It also has a soft plastic divider which I suppose can be used to partially shield your valuables from light rain (but it is not waterproof for swimming). The front compartment can likewise fit bills but not much wider than that. It is subdivided into two smaller pockets, which is helpful- I used one to hold tokens for transit and another general coins. Also, I could tighten it enough to not move around on my waist, but not so tight that it caused me any discomfort.

I agree one setback is that the strap is so long that i needed to twine it around itself it to not stick out of the bottom of my shirt. But that can easily be remedied by just cutting the excess strap off with a scissors.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 4, 2008
A good and functional money belt, but you'd be better off with a money belt made of a different material. Silk retains a lot of heat, and ours absorbed a lot of sweat (even though we used it while on a chilly trip to Europe in November). We had to frequently wash our money belt at night and leave it out to dry. The plastic sleeve inside is ingenious to protect your documents/cash/papers, but it's not attached to the belt itself - so buy a non-silk money belt, fold a heavy-duty plastic sheet (or use a ziploc freezer bag) and tuck it into one of the pockets, and you'll get the same result - that's probably what we'll do for our next trip.
on April 26, 2006
This is a good item for the money. Solid construction. The material is very soft, and the belt itself is nice and light. The elastic material on the belt really helps it fit comfortably. I can see wearing this all day without issue. It was delivered on time with no problems. I recommend this belt highly. For $12, you can't go wrong.
on June 17, 2008
I went on a cruise and bought this to keep with me at all times. It definately has pro's and cons
PROS
Keeps your things concealed
keeps your hand free (no lugging around a purse

CONS
Uncomfortable
Doesn't stay in place
you get sweaty in the place that it's at
really flimsy...one week of wear is all it has in it!
the band is way too long.