Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on February 12, 2010
GET THIS E-BOOK!!! I debated whether it would be worth the money before I took a big month-long trip to Spain this past October/November 2009. I was not disappointed! The most useful feature (there are tons) in the Snapshot city guide e-books are the self-guided tours through the museums. There are crowd-beating tips, updated cost, hours, locations, phone numbers, maps, self-guided walking tours in the city...Seriously, it's a no-brainer. Get this e-book. For so little money, you can save yourself a world full of headaches. He also points out cool things to see in the city that aren't in other tour books (the Sardana dances), and he gives invaluable tips of the good places to go for everything (food, entertainment, museums, neighborhoods, etc). Also, the local free tourist maps they give you are usually anemic by way of detailed, accurate information. Having this little tool as a backup is critical when you may not have time to hunt down bigger books and maps. It also gives you info about surrounding cities you may like to visit, as well as tips on language, money, phoning...Plus, it fits in your pocket (I used it on my iPhone with the Kindle reader). You don't look like a tourist dork reading your iPhone, like you do lugging around maps and books. You look way cooler...
on October 15, 2010
I purchased 3-4 travel guides for my trip to Barcelona. What to see, What to eat & where,What to buy & where,Where to have fun,etc. I bought this one to understand smaller details which other books dont cover. But was disappointed that the book is more generic.Maps are hand drawn. Suggestions are somewhat selective instead of consistent across all the places being suggested. It could have been better if the book had a good map. Some mention here that there was a detachable map and some mention there was none. I did not receive any map along with the book.
Its true that while visiting a place one good book cannot address all the aspects. Some of them good in maps, some of them good in suggesting restaurants/shops, some provide accurate information on reaching the places in the most easiest way,etc.
If you are looking for a cheap, economical & easy to carry book,this is it. But if you need a more detailed map (for locating a fine dining restaurant or a specific shop in particular) then this book wont serve your purpose.
on February 11, 2010
This book is light to carry and has all the basics for walking tours, major sights, things outside the city, food and hotel suggestions. It covers all the essentials and has easy to follow maps. The print size is easy to read as you are touring the sights.
on November 13, 2010
I just came back from 10 days in Spain, including Madrid and Barcelona. Considering the cost and effort of a vacation, it is worth doing your research and I bought the relevant books from Lonely Planet, Frommers and Rick Steves'. While each had points to offer, Rick Steves' guide is what I took with me every day and I used it most to plan my daily activities. I actually prefer its B&W format over the color format of the Lonely Planet books; while the color is visually nice, I found some of the white text on a colored background very hard to read. After all, these books are meant to be read and are not coffee-table art books. I also preferred the form-factor and slightly larger type face of the Steves' books over the Lonely Planet. I did use the Lonely Planet books for planning and to cross-check facts. Just as with movie or food reviews, you need to match your travel style to the reviewer and for me Steves' was best, with Lonely Planet a second. While every book comes with a map, I recommend buying a laminated and very detailed (but larger) Streetwise series map.
on October 2, 2011
This book is a solid resource if you want help prioritizing your activities in Barcelona -- that is, what to be sure to see and what can wait. In fact, we ventured into a museum that received mention but "no triangles" from RS, and indeed, the museum was merely "meh." This is also a good resource for figuring out when (during the day and on what days) to visit specific sites. Not surprisingly, RS provides some lovely narration to guide you through the Picasso Museum, La Sagrada Familia and other sites once you reach them. Absolutely do NOT rely on this book for its maps (try the impressive Rough Guide map) or for any detailed history of Barcelona (the Cadogan guide is wonderful in this regard). But to be fair, the RS guide doesn't promise much on these things in the first place. To our surprise, we consulted this book when we were in a dinner bind one evening, and the recommendation we chose turned out to be one of our favorites.

In summary, if Barcelona is your destination (and it is worth at least 4 solid days), do not arrive with this book as your only resource. While it is excellent for its "bottom line" type info, also get yourself a good map and, if you want more historical and social context, a more detailed guide.
on June 27, 2010
This excellent book was close to the perfect size for us. The detachable fold-out map had enough detail for most our needs and was easy to read in reasonably good light. Like the book, the map is made of water resistant stock (rather study stock for the map). If you do unguided travel, you may want to supplement the detachable map with a more detailed one. We did this because the extra map was larger and easier to read in poor light. But the book also includes one-page maps of different neighborhoods, and we thought the one-page maps were very clear and detailed. Both the map and book are small enough to fit in a cargo pocket (barely, but they do) or all but the smallest of purses. The book is well organized and indexed, and we found all the answers we were looking for - accurate answers - without searching through a bunch of minutia.
on April 8, 2010
This book hits all the highlights of Barcelona, plus close side trips from town. It is small enough to carry while sightseeing.
on February 22, 2012
I went on a RS Europe guidebook binge recently and I have found that these pocket guides just aren't that necessary. There is much more (if any...) info than in the general, "Best of" books he publishes. Save your money - just buy the whole year (will likely include more cities than you plan to include anyway) and take good notes. Also, make sure you check out his website if you want the free tour info - it's all on there for free. Cheers!
on April 10, 2012
I carried two guide books with me on our visit to Barcelona - the Eyewitness guide to Barcelona and Catalonia and this Rick Steve's snapshot of Barcelona. While the Eyewitness guide provides beautiful visuals and good descriptions, the Rick Steve's guide provides practical visitor information. One of my favorite sections is where he rates/prioritizes the sights in Barcelona. I used his suggestions to help shape our day to day sight seeing so that I knew we were seeing the most exciting and worthwhile sights in the city. He also provides the days/hours of operation for each sight as well as great information about how to get to each sight in the most efficient/cost effective way. We saved a great deal of money on our trip by following some of the tips in this book (i.e., buy a T-10 metro pass for transport around the city and on the first Sunday of every month most major museums are free - we visited 3 and all were free!). Another nice feature of this guide is that it is very light, so it was easy to carry around in my purse every day (the Eyewitness guide is easily twice the weight). This guide does not have a comprehensive map of the city, so I would suggest purchasing the Rough Guides map or picking up a city map from the tourist information center or your hotel when you arrive.
on September 21, 2010
This little book was so helpful while we toured Barcelona. It isn't as bulky as other books we looked at in the bookstores. Easily fits into the purse and has many references to the many sights available to tour. Also, it gives helpful hints about what to see if time is limited, or what time of day is good to visit some of the more popular spots. Wouldn't leave home without it!