Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Train egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Black Friday Deals Outdoor Deals on DOTD

on June 26, 2010
I was looking forward to an updated Norway only version of Rick's Scandinavian guide. And this is it. Great route suggestions for driving tours around the fjords which we used. Also great descriptions of museums and other offerings. What I like most about Rick's books as that he tells you how to travel not just what to see. For each city listed, he tells you how to arrive by car, bus, train or plane, what to expect, how long to expect it to take and what you can expect to pay. Practical info like how to find the bus stop at the airport saves invaluable time. The only disappointment we found with the book is that while it has a table of contents, there is no index and that is very frustrating when you are looking up a specific site.
on March 2, 2010
As a guide to Oslo, Bergen, the Sognefjord region and a few other southern Norway spots, this slim volume is fine. I purchased it thinking that with Rick's Norwegian heritage it would be a more complete guide to this country, but it isn't. Nothing about Trondheim or the Lofoten Islands, the Atlantic Road between Molde and Kristiansand, or the North Cape, and only one mention of the Hurtigruten (the coastal cruises/cargo boats), and then only in relation to Bergen as the route's southern terminus. If you're looking for an all-in-one guide to Norway, this isn't it.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 16, 2012
Edited to update: I wrote this review below while still doing my research on our 16 day Norway trip and I'm back to update. Our trip consisted of Andalsnes (not covered in this book), Alesund (not covered in this book), Geirangerfjord (not covered in this book), Bergen (good coverage, we scanned the pertinent sections into our phones), the Flam Railway (covered but he puts a higher importance on it than I do), Balestrand (again good coverage) and 5 days in the Lofoten Islands (not covered at all in this book). I stand by my review that I was very disappointed with the lack of coverage of this country. However, the small portion of the book we did use did give Rick's usual reliable and accurate information. Everything below this is what I wrote before we left.
I've been to Europe 4 times and every time used a Rick Steves' guide book as my main source of planning. Though I am still in my planning stages for Norway, I am already disappointed with this guide.
He leaves out large portions of the country including all of the northern areas. Gives way too much attention to Oslo, book space that could be devoted to more fjord coverage, the main reason people travel to Norway.
He has a short paragraph on Pulpit Rock with no real valuable information on the logistics and doesn't mention kjeragbolten at all.
I will use this guide but will be doing a lot more research on the Internet this time to plan probably half of my trip due to the lack of information in this guide. I can't speak to the accuracy or helpfulness of its contents until I return.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 24, 2012
I purchased this book because I planned on spending a day in Oslo during a trip to Northern Europe. I didn't have a chance to do any research before my trip and I ordered this book thinking it would be better than nothing. This book was a great guide. I felt that it guided me toward the important sights in Oslo and I found the information that it gave to be very helpful. There were free tours where he said there would be, the hours of operation of certain places were all correct, and I was able to read a good deal about some of the sites that I visited in this book. I highly recommend this book if you are traveling to Oslo. Unfortunately, I cannot speak to the rest of the book as I didn't have chance to venture outside of Oslo, but I would highly recommend it if you are traveling to Oslo.
on May 18, 2010
I am planning a trip to Norway and have been consulting various guides to the country. I initially checked this book out at the library, but I found it so useful that I bought my own copy because I plan to use it for my primary guide during the trip.

While many guidebooks seem to be written from a UK or European point of view, this guide is for US travelers and gives tips on getting to Norway, lodging, food, etc. along with approximate costs for the US traveler. The guide can literally be used as a step-by-step guide for one debarking at the train station or harbor in Oslo, it helps you with each leg of your journey from downtown. There are "Norway in a Nutshell" options for itineraries to plan, or walking tours to take, that will allow one to cover all the major attractions in the major towns. (It even warns you about areas of town to watch out for vagrants and panhandlers.) The focus of this guide is centered on Olso and the major cities of southern Norway, with less info about the northern coast (but there isn't as much to see up there anyway, I think one's primary option for visiting the north coast is to take the Hurtigruen cruise (which this book tells you about).

For my money, this is the guide to start with, for US travelers.
on February 28, 2014
I generally love Steves' travel books and have successfully used several covering other European countries. The title of this book is: "Norway." It does not say: "Southern Norway" but it should.
Unfortunately I didn't read another review closely enough to discover this before purchasing this book. Since I plan on visiting all of Norway this book only does half the job.
Shame on Rick for a deceptive title!
on October 28, 2014
Rick Steves' Snapshot Norway was very useful to carry on our iPad on our recent trip to Norway (Oslo, Bergen, Stavanger, Rogaland). It only suffered by being a bit out of date. For example, their is no boat link from Bergen to Stavanger any longer (however, we found the bus link to be exciting and beautiful (with two long ferry rides)). Also, the genealogical library (Norwegian Emigration Center) in Stavanger has shuttered its doors, with the Bygdebokker moved to a less convenient library. However, there is no signage telling the person who follows Rick's wonderful directions that the library is closed or where the resources have moved to. That said, all of the other attractions are there and Rick's advice about the rail system and the must-see sights are still to be recommended. And, we heartily recommend the Lysefjord tour out of Stavanger and the Kulturhotells established in some of the smaller villages.
on January 11, 2013
I ALWAYS turn first to Rick Steves' guides for travel to Europe. We share the same travel style and philosophy, so I know I can trust his recommendations. And since this travel guides are updated yearly, you know you're getting the most up-to-date information.

I ALWAYS follow Rick's walking tours and museum tours. They are very informative with a touch of wry humor.

If you want to authentically experience a country, its culture and people, you can't go wrong with a Rick Steves travel guide.
on August 2, 2010
The Norway minibook was very helpful. I was going to Norway for work and would be able to spend the bracketing weekends sightseeing. I did not need the whole Scandinavian Guidebook since I would not have enough time to do anything outside of Norway. The minibook was perfect.
on June 21, 2013
I was very disappointed, especially since I've traveled with Rick Steves to several European countries. This has little to use and I could have and have gotten better info online.