Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Rick Steves' Snapshot Scotland
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Jake Owen Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on June 16, 2010
Yes, yes; it's all great info and we all love Rick Steves. (Seriously. I've traveled to 13 European countries using Rick's guides and I use no other.) I bought 'Snapshot Scotland' along with Rick's 'Great Britain 2010' because I am considering a GB trip focusing on Scotland. But doggone it, 'Snapshot Scotland' contains precisely the same information as the Britain book. Like, exactly. Carbon copy. The back cover of 'Scotland' says, "This 208-page Snapshot guide is excerpted from 'Rick Steves' Great Britain 2010.'" *****But Rick/Amazon couldn't mention that in the 'Scotland' book description so that I didn't waste my money?***** I'm peeved about that.

No, I haven't traveled with it yet so I can't speak to this issue but in all my travels I've only had one bad experience with a B&B Rick recommended and it wasn't enough to cancel out all the truly insighful, wonderful, spot-on advice Rick gives. Those are pretty good odds. At the price of these guides you can't go wrong. I'm a big advocate of doing all your planning while you're sitting on your couch at home so you don't have to do it while you're burning up valuable travel dollars (time is money) sitting confused on a bench on vacation. Just buy it already. (Unless, of course, you already have GB 2010.)
66 comments| 84 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 15, 2013
I like the idea of a mini-book just for Scotland.
However, if you're not visiting Edinburgh & St. Andrews, this book will not provide much help.
If those are your destinations, you'll enjoy the book.
That's not where I'm headed, so I was disappointed in that regard.
VINE VOICEon August 11, 2010
This book was very light on information and not that helpful. As one reviewer said, it's right out of his Great Britain guide. I found Frommers much more helpful.
on July 26, 2014
OK...When I first traveled years ago I would not leave home without Rick's books. They were unique at that time for people on a budget who were dependent on public transportation. Over the years they became more and more like any other tour books and no longer unique or my favorite as a travel guide. With the use of the internet especially, I prefer more visuals like Eyewitness books. I found this more than a little disappointing and a bit sad.
on March 27, 2014
I read that this Snapshot publication is simply lifted from the RIck Steves guide for England. Whatever, it had just the right kind of information to help me plan my vacation in Scotland. Once again I am impressed with the qualities of the Rick Steves guidebooks. One minor shortcoming of this extract is that it omits the usual packing list suggestion and the information about local weather.
on December 29, 2013
This was very handy during our recent vacation in Scotland. Had great tips on what to see and do and was fairly accurate in the time it would take to do the activity. Would suggest his books to anyone going to a location they have not been to before.
on July 24, 2014
Very nice and easy to read guide in Rick's great persona.

As it is a snapshot not all of Scotland is covered, but what is covered was of great help on our trip there. Highly recommended if you're travelling to Scotland!
on April 21, 2014
I love Rick Steeves! We have used his guidebooks numerous times and have always found his information to be excellent. His restaurant recommendations are sometimes difficult to find but always worth the effort. I will continue to purchase Rick's guidebooks because they are so well done and allow us to travel getting the most value for our money in charming places, hotels and restaurants.
on December 17, 2014
Not a lot of photos and really only sticks to the Edinburgh area, I expected more. I hope he goes back to do a real review of Scotland. You are better off with another book, which kills me to say since I have always relied on traveling Europe with Rick Steves
on November 12, 2014
We use Rick's books every time we travel to UK. Extremely helpful in organizing trip before we get there. Great hotel information and hints on how to use your time more efficiently. He also provides information on unique possibilities that you may not otherwise consider or discover.