Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Winter Sports on Amazon.com SnS

Format: Audio CDChange

on April 3, 2002
In the five and a half years between his 1987 debut WILD EYED DREAM and this 1992 hits collection, Ricky Van Shelton had established himself as one of country music's most dependable hitmakers. All eleven previously released tracks included here made number one on Billboard's country chart. From his ballad remakes "Statue Of A Fool" and "Life Turned Her That Way" to his uptempo originals "I Am A Simple Man" and "I've Cried My Last Tear For You," Shelton's fluid baritone makes each number a deserved success.
In addition, to the stellar quality of the recordings, GREATEST HITS PLUS stood out for other reasons. It contains 14 songs, unlike the standard ten found on nearly all new country releases at the time. Also, most new country collections contained only one new track, if that, and GREATEST HITS PLUS offered three. "Just As I Am' is an uplifting religious ballad while "Wild Man" is a fiercely honkytonkin' statement. The Elvis hit "Wear My Ring Around Your Neck" was recorded by Shelton for the HONEYMOON IN VEGAS soundtrack and concludes this collection on a rowdy note.
The omission of "I Meant Every Word He Said" (the only number one hit of Shelton's not included) and his breakthrough single "Crime Of Passion" keep GREATEST HITS PLUS from "ultimate" status, but its many "extras" (including extensive liner notes) compensate immensely. This package was instrumental in encouraging other country artists to give the consumer more music for their money, and for that, five stars is not enough.
on August 23, 2004
I recall Johnny Cash looking into the TV camera just before he was to go into a song back in the late 70s or early 80s on a show I've long forgotten the name of.But I've never forgotten the message he imparted that evening.It was short and to the point.He basically told the audience that his generation of music makers/rebels had carried the torch a long time and he wanted to see a NEW generation of talent (that he knew was out there) come forward and take the stage.
I thought it was quite a powerful statement to make at the time.I'm sure the all knowing,all seing Nashville establishment took little if any notice,yawned and went back to sleep.I have NEVER heard Cashs' statement that night ever mentioned or referred to again.
Well someone....in fact ALOT of someones ,seemed to have listened that historic night.Within a three or four year period Country music was slowly turned upside down and that new blood Cash had referred to that night DID come forward and changed it into what it is today.
The Randy Travis's' to the Garth Brook's to the Shania Twain's.Country has literally been reborn since Cash made that statement and resulting influence and no music historians that I know of have ever gven him the more-than-proper-due that it deserves.
What has this all to do with this CD?
Simply that Ricky Van Shelton was and has been one of the brightest lights to have emerged out that country "restructuring".
He has an absolutely wonderful voice that has one foot in the old but with the other firmly planted in the here and now.In fact I think RVS could due justice in several other musical genres.
I won't go into each individual track but all are 100% gems that I never tire of listening to and he hits the mark on every one whether its a ballad,an up tempo number or a rocker.
I understand that he has had some personal problems over time which have sort of derailed his career somewhat.I hope that sometime soon he can get back up there where he belongs.
He'll aways be top notch in my oppinion.
Want proof? Get this CD.
Johnny is smiling.
on August 18, 1999
Rickey VAN SHELTON,S music is the best of all country music since Hank WILLIAmS,and Elvis. Country Music FAn,SINCE,1948
on November 6, 2001
Ricky Van Shelton has a very enjoyable, easy going singing voice. Being a great hits album, this cd has some of his best songs on it. I think you will enjoy listing to cd as much as I do.
on December 18, 2010
This was my 2nd attempt at buying this cd from a different seller with no luck. Thank goodness you are the kind of seller that honors their customers and products. The whole transaction was very quick and I thank you for that. I look forward to more purchases from you!
on November 9, 2007
Ricky van Shelton is one of those artists that are rather unknown
in Europe, although if they were promoted correctly, he could have
reached the same popularity as others did like Garth Brooks or The
Mavericks. Here we have 8 wonderful ballads most of which went to #1
+ two good old rockers (Elvis' "Wear My Ring... and Ned Miller's
"From A Jack To A King"), a duet with Dolly Parton that also became
a number one hit and the remaining three songs made it into the
top 5. This really deserves the "greatest" hits mentioning! If you
don't possess this beauty, GET IT!!
on March 23, 2014
My favorite Ricky Van Shelton songs are on here. My very favorite Keep It Between the Lines. Statue Of A Fool and I Am A simple Man. If You are a casual fan like I am this is a good cd of his hits. Most of the other songs were hits. Including a new song at the time Wear My Ring Around Your Neck. The rest of the songs are good. Although they dont do that much for me. I saw Ricky Van Shelton live in the late '80s and he put on a good show. And these are his top songs.
on November 6, 2014
Out of all the songs on the album, I liked three the most. However the other songs weren't bad. I liked the fact that Ricky Van Shelton is Blake Shelton's deceased brother, that's why I mainly wanted the CD. I'm sorry for the delay in answering as my vehicle was broke down and I don't have a computer at home and I had no way to get to the local Library til now. I'm rating the CD at least four stars.
on June 7, 2013
I don't care for the so-called "Country music" of today - and Ricky Van Shelton sings the kind of music that IS country. There is no NEW country musician that I would spend my money on.
on July 12, 2015
I used to own this record on cassette and this is why I purchased the CD. One of the best of Ricky Van Shelton. I still regret that
he no longer performs