From the Manufacturer
With a back-illuminated CMOS sensor and a noise reduction function incorporating the algorithm used on the GR DIGITAL III (introduced August 2009), the new Ricoh CX3 digital camera has dramatically improved image quality performance when shooting low-light scenes.
When the camera is pointed at the subject, the new "scene auto mode" will switch to the optimum scene mode. Since the camera automatically changes to the optimum shooting settings, you can enjoy easy shooting of beautiful photographs.
Shooting has never been more enjoyable. With many other function enhancements, such as the addition of a 1280 x 720 pixel HD movie function, the addition of high & low luminance priority settings for "dynamic range double shot mode" dynamic range expansion effects, and the addition of the "pets" scene mode. The CX3 compact digital camera takes another step forward in realizing the Ricoh design concept "A tool you will want to use every day."
Ricoh CX3 Highlights
Greater image quality in low-light scenes possible with a back-illuminated CMOS sensor and new noise reduction function
28-300 mm 10.7x optical zoom mounted on a body that is easy to operate and carry
- The back-illuminated 10-megapixel CMOS sensor significantly increases shooting performance in low-light scenes.
- The CX3 uses the noise reduction algorithm introduced on the GR DIGITAL III. Performing noise reduction processing on the signal immediately after it is output by the CMOS sensor makes it possible to reduce noise while maintaining resolution, tone characteristics, and saturation.
- The noise reduction level can be specified as Off, Auto, Weak, Strong, or MAX. By specifying MAX, it is possible to do sophisticated variance-estimation type noise reduction processing in which the sensor image data's noise variance is analyzed and the optimum processing is done for each region.
Ricoh's original retracting lens system made it possible to fit the high magnification 10.7x optical wide-angle zoom lens in a compact 29.4mm body. With 28mm wide-angle to 300mm telephoto coverage, this high magnification zoom lens can handle a wide range of shooting situations, including powerful telephoto shots as well as wide-angle shooting of both expansive landscapes and interior scenes with limited distance between camera and subject. By just pointing the camera at the subject, "scene auto mode" will switch to the optimum shooting settings
Get the shot you want with high-speed continuous shooting functions capable of high image quality
- With "scene auto mode," the camera identifies the type of scene being photographed (portrait, sports, night portrait, landscape, nightscape, macro mode, etc.) and automatically switches to the optimum shooting settings. Enjoy quick and easy photography of people, landscapes, nightscapes, close-ups, and much else.
* Continuous shooting speed will vary depending on shooting conditions, card type, card condition, etc.
- High-speed continuous shooting at approximately 5 frames/second for still images with the maximum number of pixels.
* M-Continuous Plus (10M) image size is fixed at 10M 4:3N.
- For the M-continuous plus shooting function, which saves consecutive images shot before the finger is removed from the shutter release button, there is a mode that makes it possible to shoot at the maximum number of pixels. To fit the scene being photographed, you can select from two modes: M-Continuous Plus (10M) for 15 images taken in as little as three seconds and M-Continuous Plus (2M) for 26 images taken in about 0.9 seconds.
* M-Continuous Plus (2M) image size is fixed at 2M 4:3N.
* The consecutively shot images are recorded as a single MP file (a file format with multiple still images in a single file).
* Image size is fixed at VGA 4:3N. * The consecutively shot images are recorded as a single MP file (a file format with multiple still images in a single file). High image quality that will expand your range of expression
- With ultra-high-speed continuous shooting, the CX3 shoots 120 images (120 frames/sec.) during an interval of about one second after the shutter release button is pushed, or 120 images (60 frames/sec.) during an interval of about two seconds.
New modes to stimulate creative photography
- Dynamic range double shot mode makes it possible to record images with an almost naked-eye impression, and new detailed settings have been added to control the dynamic range expansion effect. It is now possible to choose the tone range to be given priority using the following options: highlights, shadows, and off.
- Residing on a customized circuit of the image processing engine Smooth Imaging Engine IV, the pixel output interpolation algorithm reduces whiteout in high-contrast situations, thereby recreating beauty as seen.
- Multi-pattern auto white balance makes it possible to recreate natural as-seen colors even in people-photography scenes that were difficult to shoot with past auto white balance functions, such as scenes with both shadow and sunlight and scenes mixing flash and natural light (or fluorescent light, etc.).
High-definition 3.0-inch 920,000-dot VGA LCD monitor
- The new "pets mode" turns off the flash, AF auxiliary light, and operation sounds to avoid startling the pet. You can easily capture the antics of your cute pet. This mode also gives priority in focusing for a cat's face when one is detected.
- The 13 scene modes includes two popular modes introduced on the CX2: "miniaturize mode" makes it possible to shoot actual scenes but record images that recreate the impression given when photographing miniatures; "high-contrast B&W mode" makes it possible to record images with a grainy feel such as that created by using ultra-high-sensitivity film in a film camera or by push processing film at the development stage.
A wide range of functions inspired by the "A tool you will want to use every day" concept
- The large, high-resolution LCD monitor has a wide viewing angle and high contrast. The screen has a fluorine coat to prevent soiling, a hard coat to prevent scratches, and an anti-reflection coat to give excellent visibility even outdoors in bright sunshine.
- With sRGB comparison of 100% for color reproduction range, the monitor vividly reproduces image colors.
*Equivalent to 31 mm focal length for 35 mm cameras
- It is now possible to shoot 1280 x 720 pixel HD movies.
- With the macro photography functions you can get as close to the subject as 1 cm for wide angle* and 28 cm for telephoto.
- There is a function for shooting aspect ratio 16:9 still images.
- In playback, it is now possible to display images in date of recording sequence.
With a back-illuminated CMOS sensor and a noise reduction function incorporating the algorithm used on the GR DIGITAL III (introduced August 2009), the new Ricoh CX3 digital camera has dramatically improved image quality performance when shooting low-light scenes. When the camera is pointed at the subject, the new "scene auto mode" will switch to the optimum scene mode. Since the camera automatically changes to the optimum shooting settings, you can enjoy easy shooting of beautiful photographs. Shooting has never been more enjoyable.