4.0 out of 5 stars close up
Published 5 months ago by jeff

3.0 out of 5 stars Hit or Miss
I am a DSLR shooter and wanted something light weight and waterproof for a cruise I took this past summer. This camera fit the bill. I used this underwater and traveling for about a week in the Caribbean.

In Summary:
Published 3 months ago by Andrew Plotkin

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars close up, June 8, 2014
This review is from: Ricoh WG-4 GPS blue 16Digital Camera with 4x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom with 3-Inch LCD (Blue) (Electronics)
I bought the camera a month ago and am still learning all the features. It takes practice to take good photographs. I purchased the camera because I liked the close up features, specifically the light emitting diodes around the lens. This is only camera I know that has lights around the lense. A great idea. They work as advertised. I take a lot of close ups of aluminum parts. Unfortunately taking pictures of aluminum is like taking a picture of a mirror. The lights really stand out. Normally I can shoot from the side and try and get a reflection of a white sheet of paper. When taking close ups you typically do not have much depth of field. I am taking close up photographs of fractured surfaces. I think this camera really excels at taking pictures of flat objects like coins and stamps.

At work our parts are leak tested under water. I used the camera under water to photographs the bubbles. It takes practice but it worked.

The altitude works. I am still working on the GPS.

The worst feature is that you have to plug in the camera to charge the battery. The camera only comes with a 925 mAh battery. You can buy 1500 mAh batteries (Halcyon) from Amazon. You get 50% more run time! Amazon sells three 1500 mAh batteries with a charger and some stuff for only $20.

For the price I think a memory should be included. They are pretty cheap. The camera does have some internal memory so you can take a few pictures with out memory card.

It comes with a clip to attach the camera to your belt, purse, or what ever. The camera does not have a cover for the lense. The camera is rated as being drop proof. Having a camera swing on your belt or back pack seems like an opportunity to always smak the camera into things. Good pictures need a clean lense. While I do not clean my camera lenses very often I do try and keep dirt and finger prints off them. I got a bag to keep my camera in.

I like the camera and I am enjoying it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, June 8, 2014
I have owned this camera for about two month now and tested underwater function during my vacation in caribbean.
Very high quality photo and durable casing design.
Battery life is much improved comparing my previous Pentax W90
The rubbery grip is very helpful under the water.
Highly recommended

3.0 out of 5 stars Hit or Miss, August 12, 2014

In Summary:
One of the best compact, underwater cameras on the market at the moment. Would rank image quality right up there with the Nikon AW1 at half the price. If you are in dire need of an underwater camera then this is a great choice, however if you are just looking for a good point-and-shoot then look elsewhere.

Pros:
> The image quality is decent for the size and price (obviously don't expect DSLR like quality and clarity from a point-and-shoot camera).
> Plenty of image shooting modes (really, almost too many when you are trying to find a specific one in a hurry)
> Worked underwater every time without any issues
> Large aperture allows for somewhat decent low light shooting

Neutral:
- Accessories: there are some good ones (macro ring light), but they are expensive little add-ons that are easy to misplace
- IS is hit or miss
- Lots of manual functions for the more advanced shooter, but the menu system is cluttered and hard to navigate

Cons:
< Slow to focus (I ended up missing a lot of shots because the camera couldn't focus fast enough and manual focus is just way to cumbersome to be practical).
< I wasn't impressed with the underwater images (slow focusing, poor contrast, over saturated) - for every 50 I took I maybe got one or two that were even usable

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Image Quality in its Class, July 27, 2014
I spent a lot of time reviewing all the waterproof cameras before deciding on this one. I'm a bug on image quality and the other cameras I was looking at weren't sharp enough for me. One of the online reviews said the pictures out of most of these cameras looked like water colors; that sort of washed out, everything-blended effect watercolors get. To me, the other cameras looked more like watercolors than sharp photos. One of the big photo review websites picked this one as the best image quality in this years' crop of underwater/ruggedized cameras, and IQ is my number one concern.

Now that I've run 150 or so test images, I think the camera is capable of good, sharp pictures, but sometimes I throw out a lot of images before I coax it into taking the sharp one. I'm still learning how to do that, I guess. My last several shots were quite a bit better than earlier tries.

I don't care about digital panoramas, so I'm not affected by that. I've taken some HD movies and it's quite good.

I've taken some excellent macro shots with it, in the microscope mode, and it's really sharp. I've used it to document some repairs I've been doing around the house and those pictures have come out well with a little coaxing. At its best, it's really almost up with some of my DSLR's photos. At its worst, well, sometimes it just never gets sharp enough.

It does have some little annoyances that bug me, but in a camera with this many modes and features, it may be that I just haven't learned enough, yet. For example, when I'm doing some close work and shut off the camera to save battery, I have to engage macro mode again - it forgets I was using that.

Unfortunately, I haven't taken it on the water, yet, but that has nothing to do with the camera. And living in mid Florida, that "Freeze proof to 10 degrees" rating ain't never going to be tested!

5.0 out of 5 stars Superior Waterproof Camera, October 14, 2014
Wow, I love this camera! Just returned from Bora Bora. I took over 500 amazing photos & video -- lagoons, mountains, people, etc. on land and underwater of sharks, stingrays, and even whales while snorkeling. The camera is super easy to use and the picture/video quality is fantastic, sharp, and crystal clear for day and night shoots. I have never owned a Ricoh/Pentax camera, so I was hesitant. I own a high quality Nikon DSLR. I also own an Olympus Tough waterproof camera that is about 5 years old. So, I figured it was time for an updated waterproof camera that had higher pixels and HD video. I was leaning toward buying another Olympus waterproof camera or even a Nikon waterproof camera since I am familiar and happy with these brands. However, I researched Nikon, Olympus, Canon, and Panasonic waterproof cameras. The other brands had a lot of complaints about leaks, fogging lenses, and poor picture/video quality, all of which surprised me (I never had a leak with my older Olympus). I couldn't be happier with my decision to buy the Ricoh WG-4 because the picture/video quality was excellent, it was so easy to use, and it had no leaks or fogging lens. I'm going to buy a second one for my daughter and son-in-law. It's also worth noting that the video is recorded in MP4 format which is much more universal and user-friendly than the formats used by some of the other brands. Often overlooked, I would also like to add that the user's manual is also excellent and easy to understand. I actually sat down one night for about an hour reading the manual cover to cover with the camera by my side so I could get full use out of the features, settings, etc. It's definitely worth a read. If there is one common complaint I have read about the camera, it is the short battery life. This is an easy fix. Spend an extra $17.99 and buy the 2-battery pack with charger (Halcyon 1500 mAH Lithium Ion Replacement D-LI92 Batteries): http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ICMPSSM/ref=cm_cr_ryp_prd_ttl_sol_12. I kept an extra battery charged and on-hand at all times, which worked out great. And, the Halcyon 1500 batteries come with a charger and last longer than the Pentax battery. Also, like any other camera that you plan to use for video and lots of pictures, buy a high speed memory card with decent storage capacity. I bought a Transcend high speed SDXC 64GB card which worked perfectly. And, if you plan to snorkel, buy a simple OP/Tech neoprene wrist strap (one that does not float) for under ten bucks, mine worked out great on land and underwater.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good feature set, August 14, 2014
Good feature set, distinctive on the macros but also sturdy build. Other stuff standard on Point and Shoots. Negatives -- very old, not entirely intuitive GUI and slow shutter speed. Irritating moving around of focal point on AF. For the sort of camera it is, it needs to connect via WiFi and have a touch screen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 25, 2014
Works as advertised love the gps tagging

2.0 out of 5 stars Great picture quality but leaked, November 19, 2014
P. Tran (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
My copy was not waterproof. I followed the instructions and made sure that the battery opening was clear of debris. During my first 10 minutes in the ocean, water got inside and fogged up in the lens. It also shorted out the Macro LEDs--some did not work, others flickered on and off regardless of the cameras power state. So glad I purchased it from Amazon instead of somewhere else. The return was super easy as always.

Other than that, there is not much I can say about this camera that hasnt already been said. It takes good pictures in general and superb Macro pictures. It has the same lens as the more expensive Olympus TG-3 but manages to take better pictures. It is slow to start up and slow to focus. The Macro LEDs are a nice feature but they aren't very bright. I always prioritize picture quality above all else, so this camera would have been perfect for me if it worked. I am still on the fence about trying another copy even though some people have reported great success with this camera under water. BTW, my last rugged camera, an Olympus, also leaked but that was after about 3 years.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome camera much better than gopro, July 14, 2014
This is an awesome camera which has everything you need. The GPS feature is pure gold if you work in the field! Underwater pictures are great! I had this one before getting the WG-4 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F3F0GLU/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00F3F0GLU&linkCode=as2&tag=waycoolashtra-20&linkId=MUAM4K2G4PGPLXRS
an I was not happy at all with it. The WG4 is a better and a cheaper option!
Hope I could help

1.0 out of 5 stars this is the second wg camera i own and second waste of money, October 24, 2014
brand new ricoh wg-4 gps camera in two weeks of use battery shorted and leaked inside camera. the camera is not waterproof. battery compartment does not seal, double lock mechanism for battery/memory compartment does not prevent water coming inside camera and reaching battery contacts. PRODUCT IS NOT WATER PROOF. BATTERY SHORTS AND LEAKS INSIDE CAMERA. PRODUCT IS NOT SAFE. BATTERY ACID IS DANGEROUS. this is the second wg camera i own and second waste of money. worse, dealer will not refund money. DO NOT BUY.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›