Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon The Suffers Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Winter Sports on Amazon.com SnS

• Customer Reviews

on December 16, 2013
Started using Rid-X, washing machine water started bubbling up in toilet. The septic guy just left and handed me a brochure published by the Florida Health Department and NOAA. It says, "don't waste money on septic additives. The bacteria needed to treat wastewater is naturally present in sewage. Additives can resuspend solids causing your drainfield to clog."
22 comments28 of 32 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 5, 2012
This product works great.I've lived in my house for seven years and never had any problems with my septic system.I'm on the plan where I receive it once a month.It's delivered in the mail.I can't buy it cheaper than what Amazon sells it for.I recommend this product for everyone that has a septic system.
0Comment26 of 31 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 3, 2013
I have had my home with its septic system for 35 years. I have always used Rid-X in addition to the 2 main rules of septic tank health - pump occasionally and keep the grease to a minimum when possible. My septic system has never failed or caused problems. I think Rid-X has helped keep the system in good shape.

Up to recently, I had purchased the regular boxes of Rid-X that you measure and pour. Keeping it stored / dry and remembering to do it on schedule was always tricky. This new 1 dose box combined with Subscribe and Save is really useful. The Rid-X is shipped to me once a month, I pour it down the toilet that evening before bed, flush, and place the empty box in the recycle bin. Done for the month.
on July 9, 2009
I've been told numerous times, by many septic tank pumpers to stay away from these starch/powder additives. under most instances, the additive tends to "bulk up" into a big blob at the top of your septic tank(s) and doesn't do much.

Now...if you want to go adding water to make it more of a "watery substance" before dumping it, go ahead.

Generally, septic additives are not necessary, but even with a large household of 9, we've had a couple pumpers actually recommend us to use additives (they didn't seem to prefer any particular brand....so I chose what's on sale, for the most part).

Another guy said baking soda added to your system will do the tank wonders, it will balance out the pH in the tank and help the bacteria break down the bacteria, for easier flushing into your drain field.

The good thing about the liquids, is they can also be added to your distributor box (between the tank, and the drain field) to help clean out the drain field if you have any plugged lines in your hard.

Rid-X (and other additives) are one of those things you HAVE to be on top of. It will NOT be a "magic bullet" when you start smelling awful odors, or watering pooling in your yard, by that time, you're too late and need a pump out. Generally, you add the rid-x immediately after the pump out, as directed (usually by flushing down a toilet, or other drain in your house) and then every month there after.

There are "nay sayers" who say Rid-X and other additives are bad, because they can "break up" the stuff that the tank is supposed to keep "suspended" at the top, and cause it to flow into the drain field, and plug your lines, which is why you really need to add it monthly, and not just "when you hear or see problems arising" - cause by then it's too late.
22 comments18 of 24 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 13, 2013
It's one of those products that I have to assume it is working like it should. I don't have a window into my septic tank (lowers the value of the house) so I can't tell how much good it is doing. But my house doesn't smell like poo so I must be on the right track.
on April 1, 2013
Works good & will definitely keep using. Best thing since sliced bread is amazon allowing me to purchase on a monthly plan where I never have to worry about keeping up with when I need to buy some more to put in on a monthly basis. Also, they sell at reduced internet price that is lower than even Wal-Mart's regular every day price.
on May 15, 2012
For years (30 yrs) we have used Rid-x on a monthly bases ,the product has worked each and every time, not one problem with the septic system , we were a family of 9 persons, til the kids finished school and went on to make thier own life ,now that there are only 2 of us living in the house we still us the product every month, Thank you Amazon for offering to enroll us on a monthly service to receive the Rid-X without purchesing it every month at the store or online, that service is free, "just like having a personl shopper at our address". So very easy, we receive rid-x in the mail. we dont have to worry about remembering to purchase it while at the store (at our age we need a list for every thing that needs to be done or purchased) it because it comes in the mail every month. What a blessing we dont even have to remember to purchase it or to use it . When it gets to the mail box, we know its time to use it for that month. RID-X Septic System Treatment: 2 Dose Powder
0Comment10 of 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 21, 2013
I have an older home which had had very, very poor maintenance over the years. I began using Rid-X immediately; within two months noticed that toilets flushed faster and the drain fields, though never sloppy wet, were dry and NO ODOR, AT ALL! Can't say its entirely due to Rid-X, partially due to better use habits (previous residents didn't know (or didn't care) .what NOT to flush).

Using Rid-X regularly makes me feel confident that the septic system will last a long time and I'm avoiding the huge cost of repair/replacement, by proper maintenance.
on April 14, 2013
We had been using RidX for years and then for some reason it got really hard to find.We found it on Amazon and could have it shipped once a month. Score! So we had used yeast when we couldnt find Rid X. Our Septic System was put in in 1937, 2000 gallons. We bought our house in 1989. The previous owners had had the system pumped. We always used Rid X. Then in April 2013 the system stopped, we had never had it pumped. The fellow who pumped it said "you should do this every 3 years". We didnt know. RidX saved us.
on September 13, 2014
I've been getting RID-X in the mail now for 3-4 months and am so glad I did the automatic monthly mailing. I live in a rural area near the border of Canada in Montana and I can tell my whole septic/sewer tank system has been working so much better. I can hear it when I flush the toilet. Getting RID-X in the mail takes care of remembering to go to the store or even ordering it yet again online. Worth paying a little every month to avoid a $300-400 pluming service to unplug your pipe lines!