4.0 out of 5 stars Encouraging for beginners, a bit light for avid cyclists
Published on August 26, 2010 by Pat Loughery

2.0 out of 5 stars good, but not for Kindle
This is a well presented book of information and inspiration, but do not purchase it for your Kindle. A substantial part of the guides presented are in table form and they are unreadable on my Kindle. I think it is highly unethical of Amazon to even offer a book for the Kindle when important portions of the book are unreadable.
Published on September 15, 2011 by avid armchair and hobby photog...

2.0 out of 5 stars good, but not for Kindle, September 15, 2011
This review is from: Ride Your Way Lean: The Ultimate Plan for Burning Fat and Getting Fit on a Bike (Kindle Edition)

2.0 out of 5 stars A Diet Book, with some cycling, January 6, 2012
I had gotten this book for Christmas and was initially excited to read it. I had hoped to find something to expound upon my existing cycling knowledge and how I can use my bike to help shed the pounds. Instead I found myself reading what was essentially a diet book with a bit of cycling knowledge thrown in.

This reads just like every other diet book on the market, with the author detailing her harrowing journey to lose 10 pounds (big deal) and how she's helped so many people shed pounds over the years (not so much her as Bicycling magazine).

1/2 of the book is cycling/weight loss testimonials.
1/3 is full page b/w images of off-bike strength exercises
and the remainder is actually about cycling.

I'm extremely disappointed. Had I known this book was such fluff I would not have put it on my Amazon wishlist.

4.0 out of 5 stars Encouraging for beginners, a bit light for avid cyclists, August 26, 2010
Ride Your Way Lean advocates cycling as an exercise and lifestyle choice to lean up. It begins with very basic information: why cycling, how to buy a bike, equipment - and my fear was that it would be too simplistic for my needs. It gets a bit more helpful though, with good discussions of basic nutrition, eating plans, ride plans, indoor trainer exercises, off-bike exercises and other goodies.

I would recommend this book to somebody who's considering or just getting into cycling. For more seasoned riders wanting more depth of content, see Base Building for Cyclists by Chapple, or The Time Crunched Cyclist by Carmichael.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great for people just beginning to exercise, September 12, 2011
I was not overly "wow'd" by this book. I believe there were many great pearls of wisdom within the text itself for beginners or those who are not abreast of current nutrition/exercise trends, however, it was not any new information for me in terms of exercise and nutrition requirements. The information can be found online for free with a little bit of research and interest in fitness. As a beginning cyclist I did learn a few things about how I should be riding which was most helpful, but as a weight loss/lean muscle building book it lacked some really key nutrition and exercise facts that I feel would benefit those beginning in cycling or beginning to get back into shape. Regardless, if you're a beginner or havent been reading up on current exercise and nutrition requirements/research then this book is for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars 8 difficult pounds off in 5 weeks, October 19, 2010
This book was advertised in Bicycling Magazine in which 5 weeks of one of the plans was displayed. I started following the interval plan and came to the end of the 5 weeks and had lost 8 lbs. I had just finished a long season of training for a couple centuries and had gotten in good shape but had not lost the weight I wanted to. A friend during the season told me I should try doing a couple intervals in my training and I said, "No way they suck". Well now I believe that is really the only way to get those stuborn pounds off. The book has several plans. One of the plans is for those who want to drop pants sizes, another is for that stuborn tire around the waste, etc. I personally would like to see these people write a book about how to take off weight while training for a century. I am sure the plan would be different and less days during the week for intervals. But I was done with my season and doing 4 days of intervals a week worked just fine for me. Each of the day plans are different from the next which makes it interesting and then the weeks get more difficult as you progress. A couple of my friends and myself tried to make it more fun by doing it together and giving new names to the different types of intervals. By the time I got the book from Amazon I had gotten down to the weight I wanted and followed it not as astringently and didn't lose any more weight but could climb up those hills a lot easier and keep up with the guys a lot better. I read the whole book and I will start back up I am sure in the spring to take off that winter tire before training.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Book for Beginners!!!!!, June 15, 2011
I just started riding and went on a 15 mile expert trail by accident! It was brutal, I thought I was gonna die. But after reading this book and following it detail for detail, I lost approximately 10-15 lbs in just a month. No book is gonna work unless you read it and act on it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book for beginners who want to pedal their way to fitness, March 15, 2011
Don't like to run, but you still want to get a great aerobic workout and cut some pounds? Looking for a way to burn calories and be able to vary the workout you perform? Why not try bicycling? Not sure where to start, or you want a little more formality than just hopping on a bike and going? Check out "Ride Your Way Lean: The Ultimate Plan For Buring Fat And Getting Fit On A Bike" by Selene Yeager and the Editors of "Bicycling." This well organized book will assist you with everything you need to develop a biking exercise program to burn calories, drop weight, and stay fit for life.

The book starts off with an introduction that shares a personal story and then why cycling can not only help you lose weight and get in shape, but it is also gentle on the joints and gets you out of the gym, as well as other benefits.

Chapter one focuses on the facts about fat and why we gain weight and how to lose it. It then focuses on how to pedal fat off, benefits of cycling, and then provides information on weight, BMI, and your waistline.

The second chapter gears you up for hitting the road to weight loss. If you don't have a bike, this chapter will assist with selecting one that is right for you and what you want to do with it. Besides some general guidelines for bikes, the chapter contains information on clothes, shoes, etc. as well.

Chapter three explains how to use your bike as the ultimate weight-loss tool. Learn about burning calories on your bike, and how to grow your fat-burning engines and how to build your cycling strength. Good basic primer for the person who has not used a bike for working out.

Chapter four is titled "Ride It Off" and contains plans to lose the weight you want to lose. This chapter explores training as more than just jumping on your bike and riding. It contains some good information regarding making a bike training plan.

The fifth chapter is on eating. Burning calories is only part of a weight-loss plan, and this chapter provides some basic information on nutrition and sound eating for weight-loss. Obviously there are many ways to eat, and many diets. Look at all the books available. This chapter does provide some simple basics that will make a difference if you follow the guidelines.

What if you live somewhere like I do, where it is tough to ride year round? Chapter six tackles taking it inside. It provides information on indoor cycling training. Yeager even includes some of the songs she likes to ride to for different effects. However, the indoor bike I've grown to enjoy, because of the different courses and ways to motivate yourself while riding, the expresso line of bikes, were not mentioned.

While I agree that biking can be great exercise, I still think a person needs more than just bike riding, and that is why I liked chapter seven and the inclusion of other exercises to include in a person's exercise and fitness program. There are some basic exercises and stretches, that hopefully will motivate a person to go beyond them once they are mastered. There were also suggestions on doing other forms of exercise such as swimming, hiking, jogging, skiing, and strength-training. You will have to look to other sources to learn about these if you are not already familiar with them and including them in your routine. I especially think everyone should have some strength-training in their fitness regime.

The final chapter, chapter eight, provides a few tips to help you keep the weight off once you have lost it. Overall, this is a solid, well laid out book for the person who wants to use a bike to lose weight and get in shape. It's a basic book, and provides good general information. It's aimed at the novice, and the person who wants to lose weight, not the competitive cyclist or hard-core fitness athlete. It's a good book and I hope it helps people to get out there and pedal their way to fitness.

Reviewed by Alain Burrese, J.D., author of Hard-Won Wisdom From the School of Hard Knocks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great info all the way around, April 27, 2011
damon roberson (huntington beach, ca United States) - See all my reviews
I like how Selene really breaks it down into very easy to understand language and doesn't get caught up in too much tech info that by the time you finish the book its like now what?? Very detailed but at the same time, simple. As a cycling coach and athlete i found the training and diet plans very thorough and well designed. Anyone could pick up this book and make HUGE improvements in a very short period.....BUY IT AND DO IT!!!
damon@damonfit.com

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent source of information, August 17, 2010
Amazon Customer (Las Vegas, NV, US) - See all my reviews
First of all, kudo's to Amazon, I puchased the book on Sunday and it was delivered yesterday, a full day before the release. Good job gang.

I read this excellent book in an all nigter. I use to race, and well, life got in the way and I needed to be lean and not lard. I was excited to read some no-nonsense material that has given me the kick I was lacking.

I had been thinking about riding again to lose the weight, but quite honestly I had forgotten how to eat, what to eat and how to properly train for optimal weight loss. Look no further, it's all here.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fine survey for any interested in optimizing bicycle use for weight loss!, October 16, 2010
Ride Your Way Lean does more than just advocate cycling as a weight loss program: it tells exactly how to use the bicycle to optimize loss, from understanding connections between speed and duration and calorie-burning to selecting the proper bicycle, choosing the gear that will make the most of calorie burning, and eating before and after the ride. A fine survey for any interested in optimizing bicycle use for weight loss!

Rate and Discover Movies