5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Car Racing Game - Not a very easy one
I am reviewing this because of the many unfair negative reviews that I have read. The game graphics are superb. My TV is High Definition and running the games in 1080i (Maximum resolution of my TV), the game graphics are unbelievable.

Published on April 12, 2007 by T. Ali Al Raisi

3.0 out of 5 stars Ridge Racer 7
The games not bad, it's one of those games you can put in and do a few races when you get bored. While I personally expected a little more, at it's core it's not really a terrible game. I would say it is average.
Published 3 months ago by Kyle Couch

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Car Racing Game - Not a very easy one, April 12, 2007
This review is from: Ridge Racer 7 - Playstation 3 (Video Game)

The game play is also superb. The game is not easy, I would say that it is medium in difficulty. The cornerstone of the game is drifting the car and being able to control the car drifting in corners at very high speeds. You win races, get credit and new equipment and then buy more equipment and so on. It takes a few hours to really master drifting properly. AND then the fun begins.

Once you mastered the game and won the huge amounts of single player games on the games itself, you can then compete online. There are many wonderful tracks with immaculate scenery. The games allows you to play any of those, with any of the huge number of cars that you have, in normal or reverse directions. The possible iterations are endless.

Another impressive thing about the game is the handling of the cars. Each car feels different and handles differently. The upgrades to each of the cars changes the experience entirely.

To-Date, this is the best Game I have on the PS3, and I find myself playing for hours. Very Challenging in parts, and really fun.

It also support to players where you can race against a second player on the same machine.

The Game is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun and Challenging, August 16, 2012
This review is from: Ridge Racer 7 - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
Ridge Racer 7 PS3 is a car racing game that relies on drift. You don't just race in a straight line around a track - you have to skid along the corners in order to win.

Much of how much you like or dislike this game is going to come down to how much you enjoy that idea. If you're the kind of person who plays "regular" racing games all the time and enjoy that straight blast of speed, you might be frustrated in trying to get your car to drift properly. It might go against what you want to do, and you just won't enjoy the play.

Also, the game isn't meant to be a realistic racing sim. You can easily ping-pong off of the side barriers and walls and other cars. They simply nudge you back into line to keep going. So if part of your skill is in talented avoidance of other cars, or perhaps scaring them into easing off, that won't work here.

So, that being said, Ridge Racer 7 is quite good at what it does offer. For that fun action-movie style of racing where you're skidding with squealing tires around a curve, knocking your opponent off-line and then nitro-zipping to victory, you'll have it made. The cars' traits are customizeable. You can even change how they look. You've got a selection of tracks to work with as part of the single-player game, and then you can take it online to challenge other top notch racers.

Yes, the game isn't easy. You'll have to practice a fair amount to get deep into the game. I don't consider that a bad thing. It lets you build up the skill set necessary to win and it keeps you interested in moving forward.

I wasn't personally fond of the music, but they do have an option to turn it off. So I simply did that and played my own MP3s while I raced. Not really a bit issue.

So, in the end, well recommended for someone who enjoys this type of racing. If you're not sure it will match up with your racing style, rent it - but be sure to play it for a solid weekend at least before you give up on it. It'll be tricky at first. Hang in there and give it a solid test, to build up your skills, before you decide if it's for you or not.

Rating: 8/10

I purchased this game with my own funds in order to do this review.

3.0 out of 5 stars Ridge Racer 7, January 8, 2014

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid arcade racer, October 31, 2010
This review is from: Ridge Racer 7 - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
Overall, good racer. Got this in 2010, 4 years after its original release. Graphics texturing and reflections are a little primitive by PS3 standards now, but for its time it is a great showcase of the famous Ridge Racer sensation of speed.

Later races are rather difficult and seem to rely almost as much on luck as on skill.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Ridge Racer game ever, June 22, 2007
This review is from: Ridge Racer 7 - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
I admit that I am a fan of racing games. To me, the things that matter most are a strong sense of speed, good handling of the vehicles, and graphics. I have played Ridge Racer games on the original Playstation, and I admit that they sucked...bad! However, I picked up RR7 on the launch day of the PS3, and I will say that I made the best choice! RR7 has realistic looking graphics, great music, fun controls (albeit with a moderate learning curve), and a good sense of speed. I highly recommend it for people looking for a racing game featuring modern, realistic vehicles. There are no weapons or anything, this is pure racing, but makes extensive use of the online Playstation Network, has free downloadable content, online rankings galore, and countless modes of online competitive racing, complete with online gambling (with points). I could go on and on about it, but the best thing to do is just buy a copy. You will not be disappointed if you enjoy pure racing games.

4.0 out of 5 stars fun arcade racer/party game, January 3, 2007
This review is from: Ridge Racer 7 - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
I bought this game on the rebound after I went looking for Motor Storm before finding out it doesnt release until feb 27, so I think it may have affected my enthusiasm for the game. I went home and put it in the system and played a few races, started a career mode, and so on, and came to the conlusion RR-7 was a an ok arcade racing game. The career mode doesn't come alive the way Gran Turismo does, and the game play itself is cartoonish, although the visuals and speed of the game are outstanding. So that was my opinion after one day: Ridge Racer 7 was ok. But then, something unexpected happened. I had some friends over to play the new ps3, and after about two hours of dunking on each other in NBA 2k7, someone said "hey, hows the new ridge racer?" I told him it was ok, so we put it on to let the group decide. All of a sudden, the cartoonish arcade racer with the gorgeous visuals and lightning speed gameplay had every one jumping out their seats. Because it lacks the realism of Gran Turismo, it is very easy for a black horse to get back in the race: one spin out or meeting with the wall will not get you out of the race. Almost every race went down to the wire, and the nitrous tanks really add some strategy to what could have been just a flashier version of "Driving USA". If your looking for an in-depth, life-like racer, this is not the game for you. But if your looking for a game that has stunning visuals, the fastest gameplay ever seen in a racer, and loads of excitement, than Ridge Racer 7 on the PS3 is definately worth a test drive.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Video Game, November 25, 2007
BIG_UGLY_MAN (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ridge Racer 7 - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
I thought nothing would ween me from PC games to console games. Enter Ridge city. I purchased three games at the same time (madden, fifa and RR) thinking I would play each one casually. Boy was I wrong. I cant get my hands off RR. It is difficult to get the hang of cornering when you first get the game. Then as you play, you develop your technique and before you know it, your a force to be reckoned with. The online game is extremely difficult and i have yet to place better than last or second to last. But I can see how those other players got so good. I do concede the following: This game does not have realistic physics and the cars take no damage. However, this is how i want this game, that is what sets ridge racer apart from all the other run-of-the-mill racers out there. With that said, if you want a more realistic racing game, get Project Gotham Racing or Gran Turismo when it comes out. If you want an arcade style racer and a blast at that, get RR7. PS loved the techno music as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars grrreat game, February 11, 2007
This review is from: Ridge Racer 7 - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
RR7 is a great game. if u wanna have fun drifting and battleing against others cars then this is your game. playing online is even better, get your already fixed up car and meassure your skill vs. players all around the world. THE SOUND IS GREAT and the way you achieve things in this game is aweson. if you learn how to drift and really can handle the preassure then u r gonna love this game. graphics a OK too. GREAT GAME!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Reaches my expectation, January 25, 2011
This review is from: Ridge Racer 7 - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
Pros
--stunning graphics considering the tech level of 06
--almost the same physics as those in PSP ones
--customization, great idea, although they could've offered more options
--increased difficulty from PSP ones, races are no longer total dominations

Cons
--There doesn't seem to be a special class or I am not far enough
--Too many manufacturers, the managing relationship points can be an awful headache
--unlocking requirements are a little weird

It's fun game, not a serious racing game. If you are stressed out by Gran Turismo and want to relax, or if you are not great at racing games but want some fun at high speed, go for it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice racing game, September 17, 2007
This review is from: Ridge Racer 7 - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
I really like this game. It is easy to get into and there is great varity with the cars, tracks and race surroundings. The only thing is that to get to higher levels it is best if you can also play online against other racers... But for the rest this is lots of fun!

ARRAY(0xad074b7c)

Ridge Racer 7 - Playstation 3
Ridge Racer 7 - Playstation 3 by Namco (PlayStation 3)
$19.99 $17.06