Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Size: Set of 8|Style Name: Cabernet|Change

on September 12, 2004
These are essentially the bowls from the professional quality Riedel Vinum glasses produced without stems. By doing without stems you get a glass that neatly fits in the dishwasher, and save about $10 per glass compared to the stemmed Riedel. I have been using these for several months and they are fabulous. Since they are non-lead crystal, they develop the bouquet due to microscopic "pores" that non-crystal glassware lacks. They really gleam, right out of the dishwasher. Best of all, the rims are thin and smooth, which is the luxury feel that premium glassware is all about.

If you are wondering which to buy as an "all purpose" red glass, I prefer the syrah/shiraz glass over the cabernet/merlot, even though I drink mostly cabernet. The syrah glass is just a bit taller and more graceful. But the difference is minor.

I have been a wine "nut" for over 20 years, and these glasses are teriffic. Buy them, and feel safe using them daily. They will improve the enjoyment of every wine you drink, from Gallo to Lafite
55 comments| 169 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 15, 2009
15 years wines experience with 6 years on the business, Riedel is my choice when it come to wine glass. I used many other brands but settle with Riedel.
I purchased O series for gathering/party use, it won't easy got knock down (after people drink a lot and get too relax) as other series. I can't afford to pay for their careless!

MY wife complain the size is too big for her hand, it's true and I end up wash glasses by myself (the only draw back). The price is OK consider the quality. Did I tell you the glasses were made in Germany?
on February 18, 2005
The Riedel O Series wine tumblers are a great value and more practical for many occasions than traditional wine glasses because they lack a potentially fragile stem. These Pinot Noir/Nebbiolo glasses are great not only for those two varietals, but also for Beaujolais and other wines made from the gamay grape. I also happen to think that these could work as "general purpose" red wine glasses, if you should so choose to use them as such. These are great for all but the most formal occasions, and should really enhance your wine tasting experience, whether you are a wine novice or an expert taster.
on December 17, 2004
I really enjoy these glasses, and not just because of their interesting and classy appearance! They are quite thin (esp the rims) and feel delicate, yet at the same time feel surprisingly well balanced in the hand. In my opinion, they have proved themselves to be very durable, especially for such a thin glass (see my dishwasher testimony to follow!). The shape enables the consumer to really enjoy the nose of the wine.

I bought a large quantity of the cab/merlot glasses for a party we were having with a large amount of wine. They were an absolute hit all the way from the casual wine drinkers to several true wine conoisseurs present. Everyone loved the stemless presentation (and they were so popular that they drank both whites and reds out of them). Little did they know I had only paid $8 a glass! Someone commented that they had just read a NYT article on these, so they will probably be a hot item this '04 holiday season.

Even better... I was hesitant to put them through the dishwasher due to the rim thinness which I interpreted as a higher risk to break. However, given the number of glasses we had to wash, we went ahead and put them through the dishwasher after the party (some even on the bottom rack without my knowledge!). I figured with the number we had to wash we may lose a few but same some time.. Much to my surprise, not a single one of them broke - they came out beautifully. The dishwasher is an old one too, so I also expected them to be at a higher risk for breakage due to the rougher nature of older dishwashers!

I do not think that hand warming is really going to be a problem with the stems in absentia - most of the time you just pick the glass up for a moment to appreciate a sip. Also, the bowls are so large that you can easily (and comfortably) hold them more towards the top of the glass where the wine isn't sitting - I have done this myself when I have walked around the house or the party with my glass. (In general you are only going to have wine in the bottom of the bowl anyway!)

In addition, for those who prefer to avoid leaded crystal due to concerns of lead leeching into the wine, these glasses are an excellent option as they are made of glass instead of leaded crystal!
on April 30, 2004
These are amazing! Exactly the same as the Vinum line, minus the stems. The bowl is identical so you still get the breathing and flavor distinction you've come to expect from Riedel. They're just a bit more casual - perfect for a picnic or going out on your porch or patio to enjoy wine with friends or sitting around a fireplace. No worries about the stem breaking or finding a perfectly level place to set them down as they're like weebles - they'll wobble, but don't fall down. At about half the cost - if you like Riedel Vinum, you'll quickly be building your collection of the O line. One note, if you're a fanatic about the wine temperature, you may want to stick with the reds as you ARE holding the bowl while drinking, but I've not yet had that issue. What a great concept!
on December 3, 2011
I am returning them. If you order them, look them over carefully. The glass is so wonderfully thin that any chips could compromise their strength. Three of the eight glasses had very small chips and scratch marks along the rims which were probably made during the polishing process. Another glass had a small chip, or nick, on the interior of the glass. Amazon has the best price I have found for these glasses and with Amazon Prime shipping, I may order them again and try my luck. I give the 4 high quality glasses 5 stars and the 4 flawed glasses a 1--to explain the score of 3.
The five star rating reflects an appreciation for this purely as a spirits glass. When used for white wine, your hand warms the wine too quickly and if you're standing up at a tasting, you end up balancing the glass on the tips of your fingers. However, it is just the right size for a shot of spirits and the body warmth effect is a benefit.

A great deal of your experience of spirits comes from the aromas that develop in the air above the surface of the wine. A glass that forces the liquor to have a large surface area for its volume and then narrows to concentrate the vapors will increase the flavor experience. Glasses with a thin lip seem to interfere less with the taste of booze than thicker (and cheaper) glasses. The shape of the glass makes a difference, too. Since we can only smell molecules that are in the air, the best tasting glass is going to promote evaporation by exposing the largest possible surface area to the air. These glasses are wide at the waist and narrow at the top. Does it make a difference? You bet-and in every taste test that I've been part of, Riedel glasses win hands down.

(For more information on the factors that effect the taste of wine-Storage, Air, Temperature, Food and Context, see New Short Course in Wine,The)

It shouldn't be necessary to mention that a spirits glass should be clean and odorless. But sometimes restaurants, in their zeal to make their glassware clean use rinsing aids that leave behind a strong mineral smell. If you're spending a lot of money on a bottle of wine in a restaurant, sniff the empty glass first. At home, a film of grease can settle on a previously clean glass. It's no reflection on the quality of the housekeeping-cooking fats disperse in the air and settle on everything in a kitchen. An additional rinsing and a wipe with a clean towel are all you need.

Lynn Hoffman, author of New Short Course in Wine,The and the tasty bang BANG: A Novel
on July 13, 2004
We first saw and used these glasses at an up-scale wine tasting shop in Las Vegas and knew we had to buy some. The glass allows the wine to breathe and the bouquet to reach the nose. The best part is that there are no stems to break or spilled wine from being knocked over! (A tipped glass will actually balance itself without spilling any wine.) It's the Riedel Vinum glass without the stem and it is fun to see guests' reaction to the stemless Riedel. Try it; you'll like it!
on March 21, 2006
These are essentially the bowls from the professional quality Riedel Vinum glasses produced without stems. By doing without stems you get a glass that neatly fits in the dishwasher, and save about $10 per glass compared to the stemmed Riedel. I have been using Reidel O series for several years and they are fabulous. Since they are genuine crystal as opposed to glass, they develop the bouquet much better (due to microscopic "pores" that regular glass lacks). They really gleam, right out of the dishwasher. Best of all, the rims are thin and smooth, which is the luxury feel that premium glassware is all about.

If you are wondering which to buy as an "all purpose" red glass, I prefer the syrah/shiraz glass over the cabernet/merlot or the pinot noir/nebbiolo, even though I drink mostly cabernet. The syrah glass is just a bit taller and more graceful than the cabernet or the pinot noir glasses and brings out the flavors and aromas of all red varietals quite well. But honestly, since all the glasses are well made, the differences are pretty minor and if you like one shape more than another, it's fine.

on December 3, 2005
Hi,

Really like drinking wine from these glasses. Ended up with 8 each in two sizes. Broke my 4th glass the other day while cleaning it. NEVER broke any other end-high stemware doing that. Believe me, I've been very careful too.

Also had one break in a very modern dishwasher operating on a crystal cycle.

Just too thin and fragile despite the resonable price and good functionality