Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS

67%
33%
Format: PaperbackChange

on June 20, 2000
For a young man who does not know much about personal finances, this book has been great. It told me all the things that everyone is supposed to know, but I didn't. I am young and inexpierienced in handling my finances, and this book appealed to me because I do not think it was written to appeal to the know it all Wall Street audience. This book is already helping me get my finances together, and hopefully will see more from Chris Farrell in the future.
on August 23, 2008
I admit that I am a big Chris Farrell fan - I listen to him on APR's Marketplace Money and I read his blog. He has good, solid advice on personal finance and investing and I trust his opinions. I would have given this book 5 stars, except that I thought it was too "beginner" for me and I was looking for more advanced information. Also, having been written in 2000, some of the information is a bit dated. (I'm hoping he'll write a new book with current data for more advanced investors?!)

However, it's a good beginner book. It covers lots of the important basic topics:

Budgeting
Buying a Car
Buying a House
College Savings
Retirement Savings
Investing
Credit Cards
Kids and Money

Each chapter has a section for references at the end where readers can go to learn more information on the topic.

Overall, I think that if you are new to budgeting and personal finance, this is a great book to read. It has good, solid advice. Just keep in mind that for any of the details (like IRA Contribution limits), you will need to do additional research to get up-to-date numbers.
on June 19, 2000
I totally disagree with these other reviewers. This book puts the "personal" back in personal finance. Other books are like automotive manuals - look up the problem and find the answer. This book has great narrative and puts a human face on the problem
on March 10, 2004
A very good down-to-earth book that readers can immediately start putting to good use.
on June 19, 2000
The book "Right On The Money" is a very informative book on controlling your personal finances. Finally a writer does not assume everyone has all the knowledge needed to set up your finances. If you are a middle class person this is an excellent book that is helping get my finances together.
on October 31, 2000
For those of us who have gotten to know Chris Farrell on "Right On The Money", this book is a long awaited and welcomed companion to his public television show. A great introduction to those not familiar with his warm style. Good reading;great information.