5.0 out of 5 stars We all fall down
Chilling, thrilling and pitch perfect, will you take Jennifer Wylie's hand and be led into a supernatural game? It's not all child's-play in 'Ring Around the Rosie', a deliciously dark tale that delivers consistently from the excellent writing throughout to the final note. A highly recommended read.
Published on February 25, 2012 by KTK

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting by lazer
An interesting short read that causes one to reminisce on days gone by. What were you told of the meaning of the little ditty? Do you remember? I appreciate the thoughts to ponder, by reading this. Quite enjoyable.
Published 16 months ago by Lazer

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars We all fall down, February 25, 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars Ring Around The Rosie by Jen Wylie, March 22, 2012
This review is from: Ring Around the Rosie (Kindle Edition)
Ring around the rosie, pocket full of posies, ashes, ashes, we all fall down. What if weren't about something deadly but something magical? Aaron is part of a musical family and even he is surprised when he hears music coming from the woods. He must investigate.

This short story gives us an alternative to the meaning we've all associated with this song. I like that there is something else behind this song. So many children love it, it's nice to see it can be interpreted another way. I like this short story. I wish it was a full length book. How much fun it would be to get tangled in it then.

I didn't find any issues.

I gave this one 5 out of 5 books even though I wished it were longer.

~Copy of book provided by author in exchange for a fair review

5.0 out of 5 stars Whimsical and dark., March 19, 2012
This review is from: Ring Around the Rosie (Kindle Edition)
In this short story Jen Wylie has managed to preserve the feeling of a fairy tale / nursery rhyme with her use of simple, yet effective, prose. She juxtaposes this successfully with a modern setting and characters leaving an intriguing contemporary feel with the reader at the story's end.
In common with some of Grimm's tales this one has a sweet innocent beginning, but like a thriller film score the tune that it weaves becomes darker as it continues until... well, you'll just have to read it.
For me the main appeal was a likable and interesting main character, and the 'feel' of the piece which Ms. Wylie's writing evoked so well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Haunting and beautiful, February 26, 2012
This review is from: Ring Around the Rosie (Kindle Edition)
"Ring Around the Rosie" as a child's rhyme always made me nervous, and although I've pushed it out of my mind, now I remember why. In a story that lures the reader in and wraps you with warmth, there's a constantly lingering uncertainty that all isn't what it seems.

5.0 out of 5 stars (((insert creepy music))) Ashes.....Ashes.....We all fall down, July 15, 2014
This review is from: Ring Around the Rosie (Kindle Edition)
"Ring Around the Rosie" by Jen Wylie is a short story (only about twenty pages) that gives the reader insight on the popular children’s song. The story follows Aaron, a young teen raised to love music. During summer break, he walks to his flute lessons and every day passes the park. One day while passing he hears a haunting tune. After a few days of hearing, curiosity gets the better of him and he ventures into the woods next to the park to find the source of the mysterious tune. He finds Shay, a strange boy who plays the pipes for children in the park. Aaron likes that he shares his passion of music with Shay and begins meeting him every day to play. On a “special day” though, Aaron learns the hard way that it’s not all fun and games with Shay.

So this is a very short, yet haunting tale. I like Aaron, he is an atypical high school student. He has a love for music, he’s a good big brother and son. However, against his better judgment he begins these jam sessions with the mysterious Shay. Shay talks with an older cadence than his body shows. In fact he exudes a high creep factor, yet Aaron finds himself inexplicably drawn to him, as do other children in the park.

Overall, if you are looking for a quick read for your busy weekend, I highly suggest this one. It’s short enough to be read in one sitting, I read it in under an hour. And bonus it’s free for a limited time :D Just be warned, it does not leave you with good feelings!! In fact, pretty sure I had a nightmare or two the night I read this.

4.0 out of 5 stars I enjoyed this version very much, July 12, 2014
This review is from: Ring Around the Rosie (Kindle Edition)
Interesting take on the age old children's rhyme. I enjoyed this version very much. Novella, easy and quick reading. Well written and a fresh idea.

4.0 out of 5 stars Unique, June 24, 2014
This review is from: Ring Around the Rosie (Kindle Edition)
It's a very interesting short story. I wish it were longer because I would like to know more. It's unique and loved reading another version of Ring Around the Rosie.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun short read, June 24, 2014
This review is from: Ring Around the Rosie (Kindle Edition)
I love Wylie's works and this is no exception. It was cute and fun and very enjoyable. Leaves you wondering what happens next. Will be reading to my children for bedtime and then have them read it to me.

4.0 out of 5 stars Light and entertaining, January 6, 2014
This review is from: Ring Around the Rosie (Kindle Edition)
This was a satisfying read, plainly told without overmuch style or pretension getting in the way of the story. Brief as it is, you get a clearly defined image of who the lead character Aaron is and that makes the story more enjoyable.

"Suspense" is not really the goal here, as the plot is reasonably guessable. The story's pace and clarity are more important and the ending leaves it up to the reader to make a final determination of "what just happened?", adding to the fun.

As a bonus, the author provides some historical background on the song "Ring around the Rosie" that will prove informative to those who simply recall the tune as a children's game.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good little read, January 4, 2014
This review is from: Ring Around the Rosie (Kindle Edition)
Quite an interesting take on the children's song of the same name that children have sang for years. I really liked the turn that the story took later on as I continued to read. Will say it was a quite unexpected ending. I think it took me about an hour to read altogether.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›