4.0 out of 5 stars Some things to consider
The Rinnai water heater works well and saves energy but there are some issues that are specific to these water heaters and I am going to tell you the whole truth.

Published 17 months ago by M. Brooks

1.0 out of 5 stars Works great when it does, but.....
Published on September 18, 2012 by Michael Maimone

4.0 out of 5 stars Some things to consider, June 11, 2013
This review is from: Rinnai RL75iN Natural Gas Tankless Water Heater, 7.5 Gallons Per Minute (Tools & Home Improvement)

Venting: The exhaust/combustion air vent is tested and listed for the unit and you can't use any other vent. It uses outside air for combustion and is very safe. The direct vent sealed combustion vent allows Rinnai to be installed in bath rooms and bed rooms where traditional B-Vent water heaters cannot. There are limitations of how far away and were you can terminate the vent, check out the installation manual for that.

Hot Water: It will make endless hot water until you turn off the tap, a minute, an hour, a week. It can only supply so much at a time, depending on your cold water temperature it will only run two or three fixtures at once. It is an `on demand' water heater, not an `instant' water heater, hot water will take longer to arrive at the fixture than it will from a tank water heater.

Gas Supply: These water heaters use less fuel than a tank style water heater but when they want fuel, they want it now. Your tank style water heater required a gas supply of about 40,000 btu's per hour, your Rinnai will require 180 to 199,000 btu's per hour. Check you gas supply lines to make sure they have enough capacity for the new load or your new water heater won't perform to its potential without upgrading the supply line.

Expect some maintenance: This is an energy saving, high tech machine with a combustion fan, pc board and electronic solenoid valves to control water and gas flow. Your water quality will also determine how often the unit will need to be flushed, generally every one or two years. Flushing is done by using a small pump to circulate a solution through the unit to dissolve calcium deposits that form inside the heat exchanger. You should flush a tank style water heater too but most people don't. If you don't flush your tank less water heater the efficiency will be reduced and you may get inconsistent water temperatures. In the worst case it could plug the heat exchanger or cause it to leak requiring replacement.

Finding service: This point can be a little sticky. Rinnai's warranty isn't affected by internet purchases but your online retailer won't be much help. Rinnai has an online dealer locater but if you haven't purchased the appliance from that dealer it is a little like bringing your own steak to the restaurant, they may cook it for you but they won't guarantee the results. Be prepared to pay the service man and fight Rinnai for reimbursement or buy locally.

Hope this helps.

4.0 out of 5 stars Just switched to Rinnai tankless - so far so good., December 9, 2011
My gas hot water heater just died. Got quotes to replace with similar. Quotes ran from $1800 to $1250 installed. The tankless unit priced out at $2000 installed which included adding a larger gas line and tapping into electric. $300 fed tax credit, $100 from Rinnai and $150 from my nat gas company gets me to $1450. So for $200 I made the leap to tankless and should save at least that much in gas first year.

First shower tonight right after install. Plenty of hot water. Can't speak to fluctuations as it was still clearing air in the lines. I gave it 4 stars only because it is too soon in ownership to award it 5 stars. More later...assuming I can update this later.

Jan 23, 2012 Update:
Update: It definitely takes a little longer to get hot water (30 seconds-1 minute). Of course once someone gets hot water upstairs the first time in the morning the lag time isn't really noticeable. And there is a "cold water sandwich" effect as mentioned on the Rennai site. I tend to get wet (turn water off), soap up, wash, (turn water on) and rinse. When I turn the water back on there is a short burst of cooler water. then right back to hot. This is more a function of how I shower but it is a consideration. Of course if you leave the hot water on it stays hot and you never run out. No issues with multiple showers - washing clothes - running dishwasher. It really delivers the hot water. I have a 5 person household (with 4 women).

So I recommend it. Even with the slight delay I keep thinking about all the time I am not paying to heat and reheat water. No real data on cost savings yet.

1.0 out of 5 stars Works great when it does, but....., September 18, 2012
We installed an R75l for propane just about 4 years ago. It's just my wife and me, so we don't use an excessive amount of hot water. We also have softened well water. The unit worked fine for 2 years, then began to act flakey. Hot water would cut out, the flame would go out, or there would be wide temperature variations. We tried finding a 'certified Rinnai technician.' Well, there aren't many in my area. One of them wouldn't even talk to me because I wasn't one of his gas customers. I finally did get one guy who visited twice, didn't solve the problem and refused to come back. My gas company, while not on the Rinnai list, does have some experience and managed to fix the problem - also in two service calls. It involved basically taking the thing apart and resetting all the sensors. That was just about a year ago. All was well until last week and now it's doing it again. So, we're going for week without hot water. So it's looking like I have to put at least 300 bucks a year into this thing for maintenance. That's in addition to flushing out the unit yearly with vinegar, which is thankfully something I can do myself - involves pumping 4 gallons of vinegar through the thing for 45 minutes. I'm looking forward to getting rid of this thing when I change my heating system, but for now I'm stuck with this thing. Oh, an Rinnai customer service? Very nice folks, but totally useless. The problem is NEVER the unit - it's the water, it's the gas/water pressure, the gas company's fault...etc. So....if you're looking at this, talk to your gas supplier, talk to your plumber. See how many people in your area can service this thing before you sink your cash into it. By the time I can change this out, I will have paid for it again.

5.0 out of 5 stars The New Standard in water heating, June 23, 2012
This is the second of this kind of heater I have installed. The other was 5 years ago in another home. This one is far more quiet and provides more than enough hot water for the average home. I put it in my pantry, on the wall. It is only 5' from my main bathroom and 15' from the kitchen sink. I have hot water in 15 seconds. This kind of unit is far cheaper to use and only heats water when you are using hot water. The new units, like this one, heat water hotter than the older ones do. There in no need to over heat water or dilute hot water with cold to make the tank of water last longer since there is no tank and you NEVER run out of hot water.

There is one down side to the product, if you can call it a down side. With the tank type of water heater, you always had 30-75 gallons of potable water on hand for an emergency. With a tankless heater, you don't store and maintain hot water. With a person needing 3 gallons of water a day it would be advisable to keep some bottled water on hand and be sure to rotate it as to keep it fresh. The energy savings will far more than cover any water cost.

The overall cost of the unit is higher than a tank type heater. The gas savings does make up this cost in only a couple years and my 5 year old unit in the other home has long since paid for itself at least twice in savings. Look for these units in all new or renovated homes in a short time.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works great, December 26, 2012
It installed just fine (we had a plumber do it), haven't had any problems with it. One thing that I didn't understand prior to getting this tankless heater is that the temperature gauge controls the water temp by decreasing the amount of hot water flowing out, not by making the water any hotter. That means that the hotter you want the water, the lower the flow rate coming out of the faucet. Showers are fine since we use low flow shower heads anyway, but baths take forever to fill up the tub if you want them hot. If you take a lot of baths this is something you may want to consider about this tankless heater, especially if you live in a colder climate.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best purchase I ever made, January 6, 2013
Slomo (upstate NY) - See all my reviews
The local dealer told me they would charge me $2200 to install a tankless water heater, but I went the DIY route. Rinnai customer service was helpful telling me what accessories I needed and how to size the system for my particular installation. A little bit of soldering and a new vent hole and we're up and running. Since I've installed this I can have the whole family shower with no delay while running the dishwasher and washing machine. I would suggest this for anyone that waits on a conventional water heater. If you've got experience with plumbing and soldering the install doesn't take but a few hours.

5.0 out of 5 stars So far loving this water heater - now with an 18 month update, August 10, 2012
Installed 5 months ago and so far it has been flawless. Two showers running at the same time and never any surges of hot or cold water. Doesn't run out of hot water of course since it is on demand. Have not tried it with two showers on plus either the dish washer or washing machine on...but never do that anyway...so cannot comment on that.
Quiet as can be and it is next to my bedroom. It takes no space worth talking about. An incredible unit.
Gas use did not go down as much as I had hoped but I live in a very warm climate so perhaps I was not losing that much energy from my old Rheem tank water heater.
Since I have not had any performance issues I cannot comment on Customer Support/Service regarding that. But I do live in the Southern California Air Quality Management District and water heaters here are one of the regulated appliances. Besides Rinnai I contacted Takagi, Rheem and Bosch to find out which of their models were SCAQMD compliant; the only customer service that responded to my question was Rinnai. So good luck with dealing with the others.
5 months is still "young" in appliance years but hopefully this will be everything I was looking for, for a very long time...again, hopefully.
--UPDATE-- as of September 20, 2013 - We have had the unit installed and running 18 months now. The unit is running flawlessly and quietly. Very happy with it.

1.0 out of 5 stars We have owned this for less than one month, January 27, 2013
Going with our plumbers advice, and going through him, we installed gas and purchased this water heater for our first home. At first it was amazing not running out of hot water, though it took a long time for the heated water to reach the faucets. I'm pregnant, and we have been moving over the last few weeks which made me very sore. Warm baths are all that seem to help. This water heater has broken twice now!! It reads that there is an error, but in the morning the first time, it magically worked again. We will see tomorrow morning if I can shower...
It cost more than twice as much to purchase, and it's less than half as dependable as a regular cheap one. If the stress and general craziness of moving had not been an issue, I would have reviewed all the heaters myself and probably not have gone with this one.
We will call Rinnai tomorrow, and I will update this review according to how helpful their customer service is.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Investment!, September 5, 2012
Amazon Customer (Sauk Rapids, MN United States) - See all my reviews
This water heater is great. It took me a a full weekend to install all by myself, but I have almost no previous plumbing experience, and few tools. I was replacing an existing tank-based heater, so you can imagine that I had to do quite a bit of plumbing. This heater comes with the valve assembly, so there's no need to purchase that seperately, even though amazon suggested that the two are often purchased together. (I'm sure they are, since many people don't know it comes with the assembly!) It wasn't a big deal, as I was able to ship the valve assembly back easily enough. I'd just like to prevent other people from having that trouble.

At the current Amazon price, combined with a rebate I got from my utility company, I paid less to install this system than one of my co-workers paid to have a tank-based heater replaced by a local plumber. This thing is quiet, works great, and was worth every penny! I was originally concerned that 7.5 gallons per minute might not be enough, but in our house with two bathrooms, a high-efficency dishwasher, and an older front-load washing machine, it seems to be plenty. I keep wanting to try running both showers simultanously, but I haven't done that yet. I think it would work fine.

The only downside for this is that it does take about 20-30 seconds longer to get full hot water than our old tank heater did, but in the past three months we've gotten used to that. I had intended to put a small electric tank heater in as well to compensate for this, but the plumbing and placement just didn't seem to want to work out right for that, so the little tank is sitting unused. That 20-30 second delay does translate into a waste of about 5-10 gallons of water per day, which troubles me. I may still decide to install that little tank later on. I've also read about pump systems that let you cycle the water through the pipes for 20 seconds or so prior to using the hot water, which intrugues me, but those systems cost around $400, which seems like a lot of money for what they gain you.

In the end, I'm very happy with my purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Shipping dock workers don't get a good grade for this one., June 1, 2013
Ordered and received the Rinnai on time. It sat in my basement for three days waiting for the installer. When we opened the package the thing looked like it was dropped of the back of a truck. Totally not usable. Amazons return could not have been easier. I got on Amazons web site and entered the information. I set the unit outside my door and the next day the UPS guy came with a return label and off it went. Five days later as promised the next one arrived. I quickly took it inside and opened it up to find that this one had the same fate. Not as bad as the first one but the damage was right where the hot water hookup is. I wasn't sure what kind of internal damage there would be so off to the UPS guy the next day. I was in contact with the seller at this point and asked for a return of my money. The reason I needed a new heater was because I had been in a flood and lost my 50 gallon water heater so at this point I had been without hot water for 3 weeks. He insisted that he needed to file a claim with UPS and that he would have to send me a new one. Five days later the next one arrived with only a small dent in an area the would not effect anything. So now I have hot water. I had read about the concerns that folks had had with the delay in the hot water reaching the faucet and that is true. It takes a good 45 seconds to reach the shower but once the water is hot it will stay hot for as long as you want. One thing that surprised me is the amount of btu's these things need to heat. If you are thinking about getting one of these installed you need to contact your gas company and see if you have a big enough meter for the total amount of btu's that your house needs. I called mine and they are going to install a larger meter at no cost to me. Other wise it is quiet, compact and only comes on when it is being used. No other complaints