Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Yinsh
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Jake Owen Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports STEM

• Yinsh

Price:$141.89+ Free shipping

on April 19, 2011
Yinsh is an abstract strategy game in a series of games called the GIPF project. They were all designed by Kris Burm. The games in the series include Gipf,Zertz,Dvonn,Punct,Tzaar Board Game, and Tamsk. I personally own them all. By many estimations including mine and the website [...](a database of board games) this is considered the best in the group. What makes this stand out? It is an incredible game that has very simple rules. The object of the game is to achieve 3 lines of 5 in a row of your color before your opponent.

There are 2 types of playing pieces on a very geometrical board. One is a ring of which each player has 5 of their color. The other type is disks with black on one side and white on the other similar to Othello. The game begins by placing the rings on the board then during the game the disks are placed inside the ring with the player's color up. The ring is then moved along one of the lines on the game board. As the ring moves each disk that it passes over then is flipped regardless of what side is up. When 5 in a row is formed of either color that row of disks is removed from the board and the player whose color is removed also has to remove a ring. Thus as each side gets closer to winning the they also become weaker with fewer moves that they can make because they have fewer rings.

This is the game we break out when we want to think. The pieces are of very good quality bakelite and have a good weighted feel to them. The box is very sturdy as is the board.

The concept is spectacular and my wife and I have played this more times than we care to count. I find it extremely enjoyable and we can typically play a game in about 30 minutes. It is only a two player game.
on April 8, 2015
Without a doubt this is my favorite two-player abstract strategy game. It is a mix of Pente and Othello, but that really makes it sound too simple. It really is simple to learn, but it will take time to learn strategies. It takes 5 to 10 games to really appreciate the nuances of the game and after that it will be a game that you will never get rid of or avoid playing. You have to get 3 five in a rows to win and as you get a 5 in a row then you take your power pieces off the board along with your 5 pieces. This mechanic makes you weaker as you win. It is really hard to put into words how this works and why it is so great. The component quality is very good. If you are a fan of two-player abstract games then you do yourself a disservice by not picking this up. I HIGHLY recommend this game.

Edit: It appears this game is out of print. It is still awesome, but don't pay too much for it. There are tons of other great strategy games available. I have heard that this game will get reprinted. So it should be back to a reasonable price be this fall or Christmas time.
on June 15, 2014
I'm a fan of Go, so this seemed like a great game to try it. It totally is! There is a lot of reply value, and I still don't understand the best strategy. This is complex enough to make you think, but quick enough to play w/someone new and not thoroughly bore them w/hard thinking involved in Go.
on December 12, 2014
This is an excellent game. As with most games the more you play the better you get. This game becomes more complex each time you play with a chess like strategy system but not so complex that playing with a young gamer is impossible. Another reiviewer wrote something like "this is my wife and I's just one more game game." Well I couldn't agree more. Its not overly long so you can get in a 3 round set before bed. I have since purchased several for gifts because we enjoyed it so much.
on August 6, 2013
Yinsh has what most abstract games lack; it is actually fun to play. The rules take about five minutes to learn, the concept is simple, and it will keep you constantly on the edge of your seat.

Great for newbies and veterans alike. You will not be disappointed.
on July 13, 2014
This has quickly become a favorite go to game for me and my wife. Kind of like a cross between connect four and chess but actually fun. This game can be quite difficult to master and sometimes just when you think you've built a decent strategy, you realize that your partner has trumped it with their own! Very simple to learn (watch a youtube video review).
on December 11, 2008
This is my favorite of the GIPF series of games that I've played (although all the others are worthwhile, too). The making of a great game is one in which the rules are relatively easy to grasp, but the strategy has many levels of complexity, and that is certainly the case here. It's a very engaging game, where a single move can change the situation so drastically that thinking more than a couple moves ahead is nearly impossible. If you are a fan of abstract strategy games, I highly recommend this one.
on June 19, 2014
I love all these gipf games...I have zertz ....tzaar...and dvonn too...these are great abstract strategy games...I don't like mindless games like monopoly where you just roll dice and don't think...I like games where you think ahead 4 or 5 moves
on January 12, 2015
I bought this game for my boyfriend for Christmas, and he absolutely loved it! It didn't take long to figure out how to play, and we sat and played Yinsh over and over again that first evening! It's quickly become our new favorite game to play together, and the 30-minute play time is perfect. I was nervous to buy it at first because this is the first game in the GIPF Project I've played, but I'm definitely going to check out the other games, too!
on August 9, 2013
This is truly a game of strategy from the onset of setting up the board to the very end. You will have to plan ahead through the whole game and expect the unexpected.