Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Stone Age
Safety Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Recess Monkey The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

Format: Toy|Change
Price:$75.00+ Free shipping

Showing 1-7 of 7 reviews(4 star). Show all reviews
on February 20, 2012
The idea that each player is in charge of a stone age tribe trying to impress the others by civilizing the fastest is definitely not one might expect. There is no direct conflict in this game. You won't see people throwing dice because two warriors from the tribes faced off in a fight.

But strategy and tactics are vital in this game.

The key is how this game becomes a resource acquisition and dispersal game. You start out with a limited number of people. They can be sent to various spots on the board. Some spots allow you to roll dice and acquire resources. Others spend resources on buildings or civilization improvements (victory points.). You can even send workers to permanently increase food production, make tools or make another worker.

However, there are limitations. The "love shack", food production and tool production spots can only host one tribe each turn. The resource spots allow 7 total tribesmen. If your opponents swarm into the forest first you might end up having to send your people to collect brick, which usually means less resources that turn as wood is easier to gather.

Strategy plays out as you decide where to send your people. You have to make the best use of your opportunities, but also make sure to disrupt your opponents when possible.

It's easy to learn, but will not become boring too quickly as your opponents try tew strategies to defeat you.
on January 8, 2014
Stone Age: 2-4 Players, Ages 13+, Average Play Time = 60-90 Minutes

For as simple as the round phases are, there is a lot of strategy and depth. The civilization cards provide different ways to score, allowing players to specialize in particular areas. If your farming score is high on the track, for example, you may want to pick up as many civilization cards that provide bonuses for farming. Players can opt out of civilization cards altogether and buy out as many buildings as they can in the hopes that they can score a ton of immediate points and end the game quickly by exhausting one of the building stacks. There is some luck involved since the value of your dice rolls determine how many resources you collect, though tools can help to offset that a little. Some may be turned off by the luck factor, especially if dice in general normally holds a grudge against a particular person. Yahtzee and I, for example, have a hate-hate relationship.

The components are very well done and easy on the eyes. The dice cup was a nice touch. I had enough baggies to hold everything by category separately, so no complaints there either. The board itself is fairly easy to follow, once you get accustomed to how each worker area operates. The rules do an excellent job in explaining how it all comes together and includes a separate sheet that serves as a guide for the various civilization card types.

The kids enjoyed playing the game and I enjoyed watching them try to figure out how they wanted to earn their points. Anthony (16) concentrated on buying / constructing buildings and scoring immediate points and quickly took the lead. Vinnie Jr (11) struggled in the beginning with food, but managed to get lucky rolls and feed his people despite the odds and earn himself a few civilization cards and a few buildings. I bought out civilization cards almost every turn, while bringing my farming up to 10 food per turn and bringing my population up to 10. I was in the position to not worry about food, and soon had myself a nice stack of civilization cards that pushed me ahead in the end. Each of us had our own strategy and it was neat to see how it all came to its conclusion.

Oh, and those who hate math with a passion may want to steer clear or play with someone who is willing to do all the legwork. You’ll be doing a lot of multiplication and division, and finding answers to the lowest whole number. Not a problem for a crack accountant like myself, and it was even educational for the kids. As a father and a math guru, I approve of this particular gameplay mechanic.

Stone Age is an excellent way to introduce new players to the worker placement genre, though newcomers should be aware that there is a small learning curve to overcome. Experienced players of the genre will be able to jump right in after a quick rules primer. All in all, this game would make an excellent addition to your family game night rotation, just be aware that it can take an hour or two to play.
on January 20, 2011
I have owned Stone Age for nearly a year, and I like it quite a bit. It may seem odd to write a review a year after the fact, but I just played it again last night with my wife and five year old daughter and wanted to say a few words. This was the first worker placement game I have introduced my daughter to, and I thought that this one would be a good intro.

The basic goal of Stone Age is to use your workers to gather materials to build things and hunt/gather to feed themselves. You gain victory points by spending the resources you gather to buy tiles and development cards. Players take turns placing one or more workers on spaces on the board. After all workers are placed, you check for earning resources by rolling a die for each worker plaed on a spot, and divide it by the number given. This makes food and wood relatively easy to gather, and stone and gold significantly harder. There are also action spaces where you may gain a new worker, create a food income, or buy a development card or a tile.

With my daughter, we chose to eliminate the cards and the tool tiles (tiles you may use to improve dice rolls). We explained the division by telling her to make sets of numbers. For instance, gathering wood has you divide by three, so we told her to make sets of three. This is much, much easier to explain than division! She caught on quick and enjoyed it quite a bit.

To sum up, I like the game. It is by far the simplest of the worker placement games (compare to Agricola, Caylus, Pillars of the Earth or Keythedral). A five year old is not quite ready to play it fully, but the fact that none of the play requires reading make this one to definitely try with the kids. For advice on teaching games to kids, my profile has a link to my family's gaming blog where we explore that regularly.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon October 23, 2012
In this video, I show one round of playing the game. The game is fast paced, and it's about an interesting time in human history.

This is a pretty fun game, but for me it got old really fast. I really like empire building games, like Age of Empires, so I thought I would love this. But, I just liked it, I didn't love it.

The problem is that there's really only one strategy to the game, which is this: Get as many civilization cards as you can, and try to spend 100% of your resources by the time the game ends.

Pros:
+If you love the stone age, then this is probably a pretty good game for you.
+It's a pretty fun game.
+If you have a group of super casual gamers, you'll probably enjoy this for a long time. But all it takes is one serious gamer to disrupt the game for everyone.
+The game goes by pretty quick, and gets quicker the more you've played it.

Cons:
-Scoring is a little confusing. You typically score about 200-350 points on a game, but the score only goes to 100.
-Limited strategies, since there really is only one strategy
-Not enough luck to make it fun for casual gamers
-I wish they would have play tested this game a little bit more. I got the feeling that if they would have changed a few things on the cards and scoring, it would have been an awesome game. For example, civilization cards are way too heavily weighted.
44 comments|One person found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 7, 2009
This has been a great family game, for the kids it helps teach strategy and math, for me it is more stimulating than some of the other games the kids have.
on March 30, 2011
This game take a while to set up and play. Only one person goes at a time so there's a decent amount of waiting even when players are moving quickly. There are also a lot of piece to take out, set up, and put away so make sure you have a good few hours available. The only thing that really changes from game to game is the luck of the dice rolls. Theres a decent amount of strategy too. If I'm in the mood for a game that requires strategy, but can get completely twisted up by some lucky rolling, I'll pull this game out.
on January 31, 2013
A traditionally Euro-style game of figure-placement & resource-management, with a pleasant but unnecessary veneer of competing neolithic settlements.

Enjoyable for the type of economic game it is, but I would look elsewhere if I wanted something that embodies the thrill of mammoth-hunting.