5.0 out of 5 stars great for casual and serious gamers
Over the past decade, a new genre of board game has emerged, largely from Europe. This new category falls between the casual and simple Parker Brothers games and the heavy and serious old school Avalon Hill games. If Monopoly feels like a waste of time dominated by luck, but you aren't interested in dedicating an entire weekend and basement to a giant game with...
Published on October 27, 2008 by Rorke Haining

3.0 out of 5 stars Too much math
This is a good game and I only have one complaint: Too much math. I'll come back to that.

Early this year I bought the board game Agricola and loved it. So I started doing research to find other games worth trying. Between BoardGameGeek.com and YouTube I probably read or watched over 100 reviews. Both of these sources will give a good indication of the...
Published on September 18, 2011 by Papa Smurf

‹ Previous | 1 2 310 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Game!, March 26, 2012
This review is from: Stone Age (Toy)
In my quest to get some cool new board games to play with my daughter, instead of her being tethered to a computer or xbox, I came across Stone Age. She is 11 and likes Sid Meier's Civilization games on the computer. I have read that the board game is fairly intense so I waited on getting it in favor of getting Stone Age since it will just be the two of us playing primarily. I could not be happier. This game is great!

It really reminds me of a computer game in some ways. You gather resources, improve your tools, increase your tribe population, improve your food production, build or buy structures and feed your people. There are more but they incorporated quite a bit when you think about it. I did not expect it to be this fun!

The game board and pieces are all high quality and awesome to look at for a board game. Full color instructions and illustrations get you up and running the game fast. After I figured out all the rules and explained it to my daughter she picked it up easily. The game seems balanced and fun to play and I feel it is accessible to younger players 10+.

I could see if one wanted to they could tweak the rules a little once in awhile to keep it fresh. Overall this is a relaxing, fun game.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Fun Game, May 2, 2011
This review is from: Stone Age (Toy)
My wife and I love this game. It's only ok for two players but it's excellent for 3-4 players. It takes about 1-1.5 hours to play. It's a little mathy because you have to roll multiple dice, add up the result, then divide by 2,3,4,5, or 6 depending on which resource you're gathering. Some of the people we've played with have been overwhelmed because of the division involved.
We love the game pieces, wooden dice and resource pieces, nice artwork on cards and board, and leather cup for dice rolling.

5.0 out of 5 stars We've all reverted to the Stone Age, September 23, 2009
This review is from: Stone Age (Toy)
Stone Age has been one of the most playable and engrossing games in my collection. The rules are relatively simple. I can usually get non-gamers to play it. Almost every time we play I end up looking at my watch after the game and wondering where the time went. This is truly a great game.

Stone Age is a European-Type, worker placement game. In Stone Age, each player has a tribe of villagers that need resources like food and building material. The goal of the game is to accumulate resources with which each tribe can purchase buildings and valuable cards. The trick is to allocate resources wisely to get the most points. Sounds dull right? But this game is so beautifully designed, it really works.

The game board is a work of art and draws players into a prehistoric scene. Likewise the game comes with fo-bone dice and a leather cup (sturdy, yet crudely stitched like one would find in the stone age. All of these little touches tends to make even non-gamers enjoy the game. Our game group plays this allot. Each time the dice are rolled, everyone chants "oo-ka-la-ka, oo-ka-la-ka" until the dice are thrown. When you can get 4 aging hippies to chant "oo-ka-la-ka" you know you've got a good theme going.

This game is quite similar to "Pillars of the Earth" though not quite as complex.

5.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining!, January 7, 2009
This review is from: Stone Age (Toy)
I loved this game! It has so many different possibilities for each turn and there are so many different ways to go about winning. It was pretty easy to learn, but as I played I realized how much strategy can be involved. Also, you are never sure who is winning until the final tally of the game. (Cuts down on the whining from those who are losing!) I even enjoy watching the others take their turns, which can get boring in other games. The game board is beautifully done. For me, that adds to the enjoyment of the game. I would highly recommend this game.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stone Age, August 17, 2010
This review is from: Stone Age (Toy)
The Stone Age game from Rio Grande is an excellent strategy game along the lines of many of the other Rio Grande games. It falls into the same genre as Catan and the Ticket To Ride games.

While still having an element of luck (dice rolling) it teaches the players resource collection and allocation along with the important role of strategy. It is important to pay attention to your own play but be very mindfull of your fellow players strategy and play.

I would highly recommend this game to all who fit the age category.

5.0 out of 5 stars New Favorite, December 6, 2009
Clover (United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stone Age (Toy)
I was sick of playing Monopoly, and other chance games, so I did some internet research on strategy games. Stone Age sounded fun and challenging and also had great reviews on many different sites. I took a chance and ordered it, and I am VERY glad I did. It takes a bit to learn how to play the first time, but is well worth it. I have introduced this game to many of my friends, and every single one has loved it. I just ordered the game for my Brother for his birthday. BUY THIS GAME;)

5.0 out of 5 stars Stone Age is my favorite strategy game!, January 7, 2010
This review is from: Stone Age (Toy)
It'd be hard to properly review this game - it is just wonderfully complex and fun. Although it takes about 40 minutes to explain and 3 games to get people familiar and competitive, once people have played - they become hooked! My friends and I have played a lot of the boardgamegeek top-rated games, and this one is by far my favorite! While it has some more complex strategy to it, it also has fun things for newbies (or people who aren't such boardgame geeks) like socials and dice-rolling.

Definitely a wonderful buy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing game, now being reprinted by Zman Games on May 1, 2013, April 24, 2013
This review is from: Stone Age (Toy)
Don't pay the crazy "out of print" prices third party sellers are asking for this game. Zman Games is reprinting and rereleasing Stone Age on May 1, 2013. I talked to ZMan Games and a rep there assured me the only changes are some minor rules clarifications (not new rules). All the original high quality components (including the leather dice cup) are going to be included.

Stone Age is an awesome, amazing game that only takes a few minutes to learn, but is challenging to win, with multiple winning strategies. Suitable for experienced gamers and the whole family. It takes about an hour to play. This is a great gateway game and introduction to the worker placement games popular in Europe. Can't say enough good things about it. Scales well regardless of the number of players. Never gets old. A true modern gaming classic right up there with Dominion: Big Box and Ticket To Ride.

Also recommend the super-fun expansion, Stone Age Style is The Goal. Another awesome light worker placement game that's like this one but with a fantasy theme is Lords of Waterdeep: A Dungeons & Dragons Board Game.

UPDATE: Here is a link to the new ZMan Games reprint of Stone Age Board Game.

5.0 out of 5 stars A minute to learn, a lifetime to master!, May 15, 2012
J. Rafferty (Downingtown, PA United States) - See all my reviews
Length:: 3:04 Mins

This 3 minute video draws some comparisons and contrasts to Settlers of Catan type games. It also describes how easy it is to get started playing, by following the guidebook short instructions. It also touches on the flexibility and replayability of Stone Age.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great family game., February 25, 2012
This review is from: Stone Age (Toy)
We have two children, 13 and 9 year old. Stone Age is a great family game. The kids actually prefer playing this game to vegging out in front of the TV. The game is very well made and I am sure it will be in the family for years to come. Unlike some games which get boring, this game is very intriguing. I highly recommend.

‹ Previous | 1 2 310 | Next ›