5.0 out of 5 stars Great Kayak
Best kayak I have ever owned. Just love it. Had to learn the pilot rutter system at first but if I ever buy another kayak it will have a pilot rutter system in it. Wish i could give it TEN STARS. Well worth it.......
Published on May 28, 2012 by DJ

3.0 out of 5 stars Better options out there...
Published on August 28, 2012 by Mike Rennaws

3.0 out of 5 stars Better options out there..., August 28, 2012
This review is from: Riot Kayaks Escape 12 Angler Sit-On-Top Flatwater Fishing Kayak (12-Feet) (Sports)
First the design. Lots of bells and whistles to distract you from the few design flaws, but you'll realize them quickly. The hinged center hatch is just a bad idea - two straps have to be tighten and loosened for access (no buckles!!) and it's no where close to water tight. The seat isn't the best, ok for an hour or two but not all day. The flush rod holders are nice, the removable one is similar to scotty but not even close to the same quality. There is no shape to the bottom so the hull is somewhat distorted and has a few waves, this could contribute to why without the rudder it's a mess paddling. Unless you're paddling slowly or floating along you will need the rudder to keep strait. The anchor trolley system is setup kinda strange and I had to re-rig it to make it more functional. I like the boat for calm small water, but not for any distance or where conditions might get bad while your out.

The worst part is it came shipped in a big plastic bag, some of the fittings and one of the rod holders was broken. Amazon directed me to deal directly with riot. I don't know what their deal is but when you start looking for contact info you realize quickly they don't want to be contacted and don't offer any information about who or where they are...I filled out the form on their site to get in touch with them but they never responded. I replaced the parts on my own but shouldn't have had to, all in all it's not the deal I though it was going to be and wish I would have spent my money on a better quality product from a company that stands behind it.

UPDATE: I finally heard from Riot after a month or two...got the parts that were broke so that's that, that deserves another star. Now that I've used it a few more times it's growing on me, not bad for the price considering the rudder...

2.0 out of 5 stars If you are a YakAngler look somewhere else., January 25, 2013
Rafael Hernandez (APO, AE United States) - See all my reviews
Wow, all I can say. It does not track well or at all. Plastic pour was uneven and bumpy. The bottom of the Yak is uneven due to the poor placement of added flotation that also doubles as cockpit area support. The anchor trolley was designed by a Kindergarten class of aspiring bloggers or maybe by Riot's drinking team while browsing Yak fishing forums to copy fail Ideas from tools. If you fish with good equipment do not trust the rod holder, its a china copy of Scotty. The lid does not seal AT ALL very very UNSAFE if you flip it and if you fish from it you WILL, primary stability is decent but secondary stability is non-existent so careful swamping this POS.

I had to send the first one back due to DOA; Missing parts, seat anchor points as well as deep scratches that will inevitably end as hull failure. Almost felt like it was a DEMO or floor sample. Later that week I received the 2nd one thanks to great prime membership service, but alas again (this time my fault for still having faith on this POS) it looks like it was manufacture by someone rejected from Riot's drinking team with something to proof. Same failures than the first one minus the scratches, but the bottom of the hull once again like the ocean waves.

BTW I took it out on a very choppy day and for my complete surprise and amazement it performed as well as my OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT on similar conditions. Its to bad you cant trust it due to a heavy leaky console cover, the yak had almost 2 gals of water just from the spray coming over the bow. However, on a flat day still can't hold a straight line; Need proof? Just look at the promo video and take a look of the lady how the bow swings left and right as she paddles it on a nice flat day! Needless to say I send it back, not worth the hassle, if you are new to kayak this will put you off from the sport. There are many other options at this price range and even cheaper. Sorry Riot I rally was trying to like it, even gave it a fair second chance. But, you guys miss the mark by a long shot.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Kayak, May 28, 2012

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't Do It!, May 28, 2013
Bad tracking even on calm days. Rudder helps but not much, and if you do not have the rudder down you can forget it. Uncomfortable seat if you are in it for very long. Plan on putting money into a better seat. Hatch does not seal well and is not watertight. I will be selling this one and buying a Wilderness Systems Tarpon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Raves for Riot, May 16, 2013
Finally got a chance to try out my new Riot Escape. Being a first time kayaker I didn't know what to expect. What I got was a pleasurable day on the lake! The kayak is easy to handle, tracks really well, and glides easily through the water. I'm really looking forward to try out the angling part of the package.

4.0 out of 5 stars great quality exept for one issue, July 11, 2013
this kayak was everything i was looking for. but it had one major issue, the clench that holds onto the foot peddles that steer the rudder was too loose, and came out. so i bought a hevy duty one, and it works fine now. othere that that it would be a 5 star thing

1.0 out of 5 stars You can do better, September 18, 2014
I would not recommend this kayak. I've had it over a year and its just poorly designed. I don't feel like I got my moneys worth with the bad handling. Found out the hard way on the coast line with a little bit of wind which resulted in the coast guard doing a rescue mission. Also the price has risen since my purchase. idk why

2.0 out of 5 stars The seat was very uncomfortable and kept sliding forward. ..., September 17, 2014
The seat was very uncomfortable and kept sliding forward. The kayak was very unstable. The leg room was very cramped. I sent it back.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great deal, great shipping...., July 20, 2012
Shipped through prime. I am an avid kayaker, needed a sit in top to do more shallow water fishing. This fit the bill to a T. Amazing features for the money. Shipping through prime is always amazing!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Kayak, March 16, 2013
Great Kayak! There is a few flaws though. (1) There is absolutely no keel. But the rudder system almost completely eliminates this problem. (2) The seat is comfortable at first but then really starts to hurt after a few hours of sitting still fishing. Pretty easy to adjust though. (3) The vestuble in the center of the kayak does have pull straps which make it harder to open and close. But other than that it is placed perfectly. I put all my fishing lures in their for quick and easy access. Besides these flaws this is an amazing kayak if you want to go fishing. Very stable

Rate and Discover Movies