5.0 out of 5 stars Us old geezers like Paramore too!
Paramore's known for attracting a pretty young crowd, and that's understandable given how young the band itself is. But I'm a 35 year old guy who's gotten just as hooked on them as any of their teen audience. This is just some great rock music, with great hooks in almost every song and some amazing musicianship all around. Hopefully they'll continue to mature and...
Published on December 5, 2007 by J. Williams

3.0 out of 5 stars An Aquired Taste
When I first purchased this CD, I wasn't sure what I was going to get. The bottom line: it's an aquired taste. The beats and lyrics are very catchy and fast-paced, but the down side for me is Hayley William's voice. Some love it, others not so much. To me it sounds as though she's straining her voice to reach higher notes, and it just leaves a sort of screechy feeling...
Published on August 19, 2007 by Lilly

‹ Previous | 17 8 923 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Ah...Paramore., September 19, 2008
This review is from: Riot! (Audio CD)
I honestly can't say one bad thing about this album or about the band themselves. Paramore has been one of my top favorite bands. A year later of listening to Riot and I'm still not tired of the songs yet. Hayley has such a strong voice and this is definitely their best CD yet. Highly recommended. Favorites include: Let the Flames Begin, Misery Business, Crushcrushcrush, and When It Rains.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best CD I've bought in a long time!, January 8, 2008
Dawn D. Carson (Holly Springs, NC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Riot (Audio CD)
It's been years since I bought a CD that didn't have at least one song I wasn't crazy about. I love EVERY song on this CD. Hayley's voice is amazing and the whole band together is just phenomenal.

Miracle is my favorite song on the CD but as I said above, every song is terrific.

In this age of hip-hop, rap and "dance" music, this is the epitome of rock, in my opinion.

5.0 out of 5 stars This album is a RIOT!, October 28, 2009
This review is from: Riot (Audio CD)
Paramore is probably the only band with a girl lead singer I like, their style is new and refreshing to me. The whole album is really a nice pop rock album with great vocals from Hayley Williams. I highly recommend this album from Paramore including their previous and brand new album that just recently came out. This album will always remain my favorite from Paramore.

5.0 out of 5 stars This CD is Phenomenal !!!, June 19, 2007
This review is from: Riot! (Audio CD)
Paramore is MUCH better than most current rock bands.The first CD has had
me jumpin' and jammin' since it came out,and now there's Riot!.
I've been listening to it over and over,and just gets better every time.
Just confirms to me that this band is something very very special.
Hayley continues to raise the bar with her fantastic voice,and the rest
of the band amazes me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good ol' fashion Paramore, December 21, 2013
This review is from: Riot (Audio CD)
This is my favorite Paramore album, Simply because it really goes back to when they were completely punk. Now they've mixed it up a little, But I still love em'. Misery Business is my favorite Paramore song. All in all, An excellent album by an excellent band.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, as always, May 9, 2013
This review is from: Riot (Audio CD)
I chose this rating because I am a heavy Paramore follower. I love their music and it never gets old to me. This is one of their best albums and I think it's music for all ages (then again all of them are amazing so there's really no way for me to just pick one album!). I would recommend this band to anyone who listens to alternative and pop-punk type music.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love paramore!, May 3, 2013
This review is from: Riot! (Audio CD)
Thia is an awesome CD. I still have it. I bought it used and I love paramores songs. I will buy the next CD. I love the girl with the orange hair!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great album any way you slice it, March 10, 2012
This review is from: Riot (Audio CD)
Paramore is simply an irresistable band. Young? Surely. Emo punky? Possibly. Infectious? Plenty! There's an unspoken taboo over them; whenever you mention them to an uninitiated, they'll kind of laugh or shrug it away, but I'm here to tell you that age or label isn't a measure of quality. Just because you have orange hair and sing into a carrot doesn't mean you lack buckets of talent and spans of energy. Even though there's like a quazidrillion versions of this album, picking it up in any shape or form is a win; CD, vinyl, bonus tracks, Japanese, MVI, it's all good.

"For A Pessimist.." kicks off the album in high-octane mode. Telling of all to come, it's borderline obnoxious. I can almost understand the haters. But the chorus is solid stuff, and Hayley's only warming up.

"That's What You Get" is another uptempo rocker with Paramore's signature reverberating guitar notes (similar to The Edge in U2), dealing with matters of the heart. It sticks like glue without knocking you flat.

"Hallelujah" is the stuff of arena rock glory, with very tasty vocals and the first really beautiful bridge.

"Misery Business" is the big one, the breakthrough single. You don't have to be a prepubescant high school girl to rock out to it either, there's a fat drumline and the eerie echo of guitars in the background, even the clatter of castanets. Plus those wonderful triplets that fire off the chorus. And the vocals? Epic.

"When It Rains" takes the tempo down just a tad; there's still a huge stomping of drums and the energy is far from waning. However, Williams proves her chops for more than punk-rock grandeur; her soft serenade is mesmerizing. One to introduce to the parents mayhaps?

"Let The Flames Begin" crescendos in an absolutely riveting fashion; when Hayley hangs onto that "glory" note and the soft plucking of guitar strings cacophonies into a gripping chorus. Beautiful but powerful. Paramore combining all their assets into one song. It's bittersweet to hear the notes of the song fade away slowly.

"Miracle" may be more of the same - but as promised, the energy doesn't stop, and the volume doesn't wane. It's a bit samey and doesn't quite stand out, but we all need a bit of filler to get us through the night.

"crushcrushcrush" is a combo of poppy chorus magic and crunchy guitar riffs. There's a bit of shredding on this album, it's as close as the band ever come to a real "metal" song, but too cute to qualify.

"We Are Broken" hits from far out on left field; opening with a quiet echo, like a distant cry through a glass bottle, it gives way to a soft piano melody and Hayley's pure, gorgeous, sad voice lamenting the broken of the world; she conveys every bullied child, victim of war, misunderstood teenager and abused talent. It's a tremendous song, and the really sad part is how few people will hear it because their inhibitions stand in the way.

"Fences" wipes your tears quickly and the boppy, rocky hook grabs you by the belt and throws you into prance-mode. Permanent grin plastered, I dare you not to tap your foot or hum along! It took me many listens before I was able to detach enough from the melody and realize that it's a clever quip on the life of celebrities and stardom; caught miserable in a so-called perfect world.

"Born For This" ends the album with a concert staple; the riff jumps in and takes the spotlight from this wonderful vocalist if only for a moment! The theme and unity of a choir of voices unites the crowd with the band, the fans with the crowd and ends the album in enormous style and flair.

If there's any criticism (and this is a slight one), this is most definitely a loud album. It sounds great all the same, but the waveform spikes are like a brick wall; huge, crushing loudness almost from start to finish. If that's not your cup of tea, too bad, but it can certainly help make a gloomy day better and a good day an even better one!

The MVI (let's call it what it is; CD + DVD) Edition also includes a few bonus tracks (on both the CD and DVD - nice touch), and all 16 tracks in 24-bit stereo. Sadly there's no DTS surround mix. The bonus tracks are as follows;

"When It Rains (Demo)" is not much different from the final song, except the sound quality's not quite as good. An earlier demo would've been cooler for comparison purposes, but I'll take it.

"Misery Business (Acoustic) (Live From Q101 Chicago)" is just as punchy as the original, but with the added beauty of acoustic guitars. However, on this as all acoustic tracks, Hayley's voice is mixed way too loud, and you have to turn down the volume lest she attack your ears!

"Pressure (Acoustic) (Live From Q101 Chicago)" must be an earlier Paramore song, because I'm not a fan of it! The only pre-Riot songs I can really get into are "Emergency" and "Decoy", the rest just lack the "it factor" for me. The band were growing into talented musicians, but it takes a while.

"For A Pessimist.. (Live From London)" sounds about as you'd expect. A fairly good live recording, but nothing you'd impress your friends with.

"Born For This (Live From London)" has the same thing going for it; good but hardly great, you do get the added bonus of the crowd though. To see Paramore live in full glory, I'd go with Paramore - The Final Riot!.

To sum things up, Riot! is a lot like the folder inside; shiny and smelling of plastic, but very pretty and scrawled full of joyous, racious energy. A treat!

5.0 out of 5 stars What a Riot!!, February 28, 2008
Just incredible!

From the first track to the last one you can't miss one!
What a riot that Paramore caused in me! This is fabulous! This is CD is really addictive and i recomment it to all good rock fans!

Hayley's voice, Joshua's and Jeremy's guitars and Zac's drums perform together to make a unique sound! That's what i call music: Paramore!

5.0 out of 5 stars No Duds, Just Great Music, August 6, 2008
This review is from: Riot (Audio CD)
I love this CD and have had I bought it shortly after hearing it playing in a store. Some songs I like better than others, but none of them are duds. Songs I don't care to listen to today will be great tomorrow when I'm in a different mood. I love the lyrics. I love how I need to dance or sing along to this CD. Great buy.

‹ Previous | 17 8 923 | Next ›

Riot
Riot by Paramore (Audio CD - 2007)