Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Format: DVD|Change

on June 17, 2010
I like this series titled "Clay Classic" by Will Vinton quite a bit. The animation is amazing, the color, the voices, they all work great. The script follows the original short story by Washington Irving pretty faithfully. My hands down favorites in the series so far is The First Christmas (actually 3 films on 1 disc), and Martin the Cobbler. I have also seen Michael the Visitor and I hope to order some of the other titles soon.
on February 25, 2009
I first saw this movie in the early 80s. When I had children I picked it up on VHS. When I saw it on DVD I had to have it. Kids love it but so do adults. My adult friends ask me to play it for them. I watch it whenever I need a pick-me-up or inspiration. BUY! BUY! BUY!
on June 23, 2011
Years ago I showed this as a projected film to my 7th grade students with good effect. The colors and animation are superb. Its theme is a welcome antidote to the harsh judgment children often pass on those who don't fit a common mold. Rip is a misfit among the solemn Dutchmen of his time and place. His gifts are not practical, but rather sympathy, warmth, and song. When Rip swallows a magic draught his world unravels and swirls about him in brightly colored clay bits. It is a visually impressive and artistically astute performance. His world is stitched back together with a new slant when a wise old mountain gives him some advice about values along the lines of the lilies of the field. Very highly recommended.
on October 13, 2000
This Claymation version of Irving's "Rip Van Winkle" offers a fairly accurate retelling of the legend. What sets it apart, however, is the delightfully complex clay animation. Facial expressions and moods are clearly shown in the animated figures, bringing surprising life to each and every character.
The songs are simple and offer good insight into the story's interpretation.
The film is generally geared towards children, but adults certainly can appreciate the artistry.
This one is definitely worth the purchase as a visual aid to teaching the old tale in most classrooms.
on December 3, 2014
This was the first Claymation classic I saw (excluding the California Raisins) and fell in love with it. Old Rip tries so hard to do the right thing but always manages to get sidetracked. Thus he falls into his long, long nap only to wake and find that almost all of his friends had passed. And the music is infectious.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 6, 2013
I had this movie on VHS and watched it until the tape broke. Not because I watched it incessantly as a child, but because I kept revisiting it to enjoy the scenery, the story, the music, and ALL of the ridiculous creative imagery when Rip is not himself. It's great. I consider this truly appropriate for all ages because the lesson is universal - self-acceptance and joy. Honestly I put this on when I have a crap day and feel so much better about the world.

And for anyone with small kids, the music is varied enough that it's not really earworm material and complex enough to appeal to adults. So if they want to watch this 10 times in a row, you won't want to pull your hair out.
on September 13, 2001
This video is okay for little kids. I am an 11th grade teacher and found the songs to be somewhat childish and geared towards people from the 70's. If you're looking for something to relate Washington Irving's masterful storytelling to a group of students, I suggest Disney's version of Sleepy Hollow. It is not as graphic as the Tim Burton version, and it is funny enough to keep the students interested. This Rip Van Winkle is just "too corny" for my group.
on February 8, 2014
This is another great childhood program I will keep in my movie library till the day I die. I can't forget how I felt when I first saw this many years ago. This one of many Clay Classic movie should be digitized and put in HD format for the new generation of kids and adults to enjoy.
on April 24, 2016
Though this is strange and a little bit terrifying I mostly bought this because the only copy I have is a BetaMaxx tape from a long time ago. It was great. I really wish they would make this animation more often. It was such a great thing to watch as a kid.
on January 2, 2014
A classical movie that every kid must have. A story with sensitivity and good humor. Should be in any language.